1/18th Panther F/ II All Orders Filled !!!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

Who wants the Panther II/ F Mod ?

1. Yes $65 for the turret only.
21%
2. Yes $65 for the turret and $32 for the wheel set.
42%
3. Not interested.
37%

Total votes: 19

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

1/18th Panther F/ II All Orders Filled !!!

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:35 am

One of our board members is wanting me to do a Panther II for him as a commission.

Is there any more interest ?

It is basically a reworked turret maybe a whole new (smaller ) turret and Tiger I type steel road wheels. It is cool looking and should not be too hard to do. Except maybe those 24 road wheels :shock:

I will do this for him but I am seeing if there is more interest.

http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop/pantheriiaj_1.htm

http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/german/sdpan2.htm

I am not sure of those tracks. They could be right and one of the 1/35 track company sells them.

They were a few of these made. Or maybe one with a few more turrets.

There is speculation that one even saw combat. In that case why would they make specific tracks for it ?

I do not know . I will leave that to the guys who know a lot more than me.

The Dragon kit has the standard tracks and that is good enough for me.
Last edited by pickelhaube on Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:42 am

Ruff cost?

ThIS WOULD BE SICK!!!!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:25 am

Only one Panther II was assembled, minus the proposed turret which would resemble the Panther F turret. It is now sitting at the Patton Museum with the Panther G turret the Allies placed on the chassis so it would be a complete tank being taken back.

The real Panther II would have the KT transport tracks as shown (not the full width combat tracks) KT steel wheels but do some more research on the road wheels for they were not arranged the same as the standard Panthers were.

http://www.peachmountain.com/5star/Tank ... _tank.aspx

Also, some food for thought. It might be just a pleasing to make a Panther F using the Panther G lower and upper hull with the standard road wheels and combat tracks and still get the desired results. Steel wheels on this version was a theory but not initially planned at first.

Panzer Tracts No.5-4 will be a big help in distinguishing the difference between the Panther variants and provide the necessary scale drawings if you still want to attempt the proposed Panther II tank.

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:35 am

It looks awesome until you rest your eyes upon the slender turret. That must have been cramped quarters.
I Tan I Epi Tas

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:48 am

Panther F wrote:Only one Panther II was assembled, minus the proposed turret which would resemble the Panther F turret. It is now sitting at the Patton Museum with the Panther G turret the Allies placed on the chassis so it would be a complete tank being taken back.

The real Panther II would have the KT transport tracks as shown (not the full width combat tracks) KT steel wheels but do some more research on the road wheels for they were not arranged the same as the standard Panthers were.

Also, some food for thought. It might be just a pleasing to make a Panther F using the Panther G lower and upper hull with the standard road wheels and combat tracks and still get the desired results. Steel wheels on this version was a theory but not initially planned at first.

Panzer Tracts No.5-4 will be a big help in distinguishing the difference between the Panther variants and provide the necessary scale drawings if you still want to attempt the proposed Panther II tank.
I seem to remmember seeing some pics of Panther with steel wheels on them as replacent wheels. I or 2 on a side.

I was trying to keep this simple.

The Dragon kit I have has the standard tracks with almost standard hull and the simplified turret. So that is how I was going to make it.

My guess would be $125- $150 for a production piece. THERE ARE 24 WHEELS I HAVE TO MAKE OVER ALL.

THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU NEVER SEE IN 1/18 SCALE PROBABLY 1/16 SCALE AS WELL.

But if there is no interest so be it. I will just do the comission.
Last edited by pickelhaube on Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:26 pm

HAY I would love a panther F turret addon!!!! That or a Flak 38 20mm in 1/18!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:26 pm

pickelhaube wrote:
Panther F wrote:Only one Panther II was assembled, minus the proposed turret which would resemble the Panther F turret. It is now sitting at the Patton Museum with the Panther G turret the Allies placed on the chassis so it would be a complete tank being taken back.

THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU NEVER SEE IN 1/18 SCALE PROBABLY 1/16 SCALE AS WELL.
I will be building a 1/16th R/C Panther F sometime next year. :P

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:31 pm

Maybe I should change the heading to Panther F ?

normandy

Panther II

Post by normandy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:35 pm

Pickel, in Chamberlain and Doyle's encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII, there is a photo (page 126) of a "Schmal" (narrow) turret on a Panther G chassis. So you could just do the turret and hold off on the steel wheels. Or.................
On page 125 there is a photo of a Panther G with steel wheels but :shock: the panther has the G's drive sprocket and return wheel and tracks unlike the the 2 models in the links you posted.
So you have a few options......hell, I'd take a Turret!

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:49 pm

I know the 21st Century Panther is not accurate for this but what about a bergpanther ?

phil

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:21 pm

At the end of wwII,as we all know,all kinds of difference combos were fielded,panther hull with panzer IV turret,king tiger with 75mm gun etc... not to mention the paper panzers that never were completed or in most cases started.lets not get hung up on tech details of road wheels camo patterns and what side of the head the commander tilled his hat,as long as it looks reasonable,enjoy it.panther II,panther F BOTH GREAT.

normandy

Panther II

Post by normandy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:21 am

Panther G with steel wheels 9th image and Panther F 10th image.
http://www-d0.fnal.gov/~turcot/Armour/pz4.htm

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:47 am

The panther II would require everything be built from the ground up. The body is entirely different and also requires a new turret.

The panther F requires only a new turret for the most part. I'm currently building the turret myself.
Best,
-Paul

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:13 am

OK OK I was wrong in my heading I should of posted Panther F . I changed it.

Here is the one I am going to make. I was just going to do a one of and wanted to see if anybody else was interested.

Last edited by pickelhaube on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:17 am

paulpratt wrote:The panther II would require everything be built from the ground up. The body is entirely different and also requires a new turret.

The panther F requires only a new turret for the most part. I'm currently building the turret myself.
Exactly. Look at the second image http://www-d0.fnal.gov/~turcot/Armour/pz4.htm after the Panther F prototype (Schmalturm turret with a late Panther G hull) and you'll see the Panther II again. The road wheel layout will be tricky to pull off.

- Jeff

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:54 am

Panther F wrote:
paulpratt wrote:The panther II would require everything be built from the ground up. The body is entirely different and also requires a new turret.

Exactly. Look at the second image http://www-d0.fnal.gov/~turcot/Armour/pz4.htm after the Panther F prototype (Schmalturm turret with a late Panther G hull) and you'll see the Panther II again. The road wheel layout will be tricky to pull off.

- Jeff
Nope. You can't see the diff from the outside. So they will stay in their original lay out.

Heck the Tiger wheels back side have no detail at all. They are slick.

The wheel layout can only be seen with the tracks off and the model laying up side down. So this is not an issue.

I will be doing the F not the II.

Just like the pics.

OK the details are ironed out.

Is there any interest in this mod other than the commisoner ?
Last edited by pickelhaube on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

normandy

Panther F

Post by normandy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:28 am

I'd be interested.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:13 pm

pickelhaube wrote:
Panther F wrote: Exactly. Look at the second image http://www-d0.fnal.gov/~turcot/Armour/pz4.htm after the Panther F prototype (Schmalturm turret with a late Panther G hull) and you'll see the Panther II again. The road wheel layout will be tricky to pull off.

- Jeff
Nope. You can't see the diff from the outside. So they will stay in their original lay out.

Heck the Tiger wheels back side have no detail at all. They are slick.

The wheel layout can only be seen with the tracks off and the model laying up side down. So this is not an issue.

I will be doing the F not the II.

Just like the pics.

OK the details are ironed out.

Is there any interest in this mod other than the commisoner ?
Well, good that you are attempting a Panther F and not the Panther II. Here is the road wheel layout I was speaking of that the II has different than the standard Panther layouts:

The steel rimmed wheels was only a theory for the Panther F. It was found that those wheels broke the guide horns off the standard Panther tracks on the Panther G tanks. The original road wheels with the rubber rims were projected for the Panther F project. So ideally all is needed is a turret change and maybe move the cleaning tube housing to the rear which was a field mod and might have been featured on the Panther F as well. :D

MG-42

[+] Panther II G/F ?

Post by MG-42 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:17 pm

>>> For what it's worth , I distinctly remember seeing this particular tank @ the Patton Museum when I visited there back in October of 04' , on our way to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot , which is only about 20-minutes away. I took a photograph of it. It sits directly across from the KingTiger w/ the "see-through" cut-away turret and next to the Sturmgechutz they dug up , completely intact , which was submerged somewhere on the Eastern Front for over 50-yrs.

[+] > I'm partial to the F / Schmal Turm myself. Your avatar must be a coincidence. :wink: :D 8)

v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

gruman panther

Post by supersonicfifi » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:55 pm

hey my friends you are ALL wrongs we need a panther :

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: [+] Panther II G/F ?

Post by Panther F » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:19 pm

MG-42 wrote:[+] > I'm partial to the F / Schmal Turm myself. Your avatar must be a coincidence. :wink: :D 8)

v MG
I don't understand? Coincident? It's just a color picture of a DML box art Panther F with the steel rimmed wheels.

MG-42

[+] Panther II G/F ?

Post by MG-42 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:45 pm

...... nevermind ......... it was nothing personal , aw'ite ? ... Are we not discussing a Panther F here or what ?

v MG

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:09 pm

I was.

MG-42

[+] Panther II G/F ?

Post by MG-42 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:18 pm

.......... you still can if you want. :D

v MG

cranedriver
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cranedriver » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Is this the tank... this is at the Patton Musuem. I need to plan another trip back it is a awesome place to see armor.
Is that you John Wayne, this is me!!