Admiral toys Dauntless preorder

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:32 am

Is AT really out of business or is everyone speculating?

Jason has stated that he will keep us updated and that he will be quiet on the production and developments on their products. Especially with the competition of others. JSI is more or less an offshoot of 21C. I would be quiet too unless I had a great working relationship with them.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:47 am

well, no phone number and not returning emails is certainly a sign that they are out of business. If not, it's a completely unprofessional way to do business, so i think they're gone.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by dragon53 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:49 am

Jason's post on May 28 about the 1/18 Mosquito said Admiral was working on the Mosquito and had been aware that it was Roy's favorite plane. Apparently, 21st Century was planning on a 1/18 Mosquito, but after it's demise, Admiral chose to release a Mosquito.
Jason added that he couldn't say anymore about the Mosquito until the future, but Admiral was in negotiations with several other companies.

Strictly speculation on my part, but this may imply that Admiral is/was in negotiations with 21st to buy its Mosquito project (mold, blueprints, prototype, etc.).

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:10 am

i don't think 21c had a mosquito project. It was something they were considering but that's as far as it got. It was less of a reality than their b-25.

I think it's time to face facts gang. AT is gone. Don't you think Jason would have posted here, or at least on the other forum by now, with all this speculation of their demise going on, to reassure their valuable customer base?

No phone, no email.....they're gone.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:13 am

Anyone in Houston wanna take a drive over to AT's office? :?

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:24 am

I thought for sure we'd see the Dauntless with all of the pics we were shown plus the tweaks Jason spoke of :-( Was also hopeful of the Skyraider since we were shown pics of the prototype and especially because I thought Jason had said his father had flown one in Vietnam (or something like that.) :-(

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:34 am

I hope Tkjaer21 is correct. Hopefully, Admiral is still alive and quietly working on their own 1/18 projects---especially since JSI has revived 1/18.

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:47 am

Unfortunately, that picture is as close as we'll ever come to getting a Mosquito from AT. :(

BTW, how do we know it's 1/18?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:09 am

it's not.......i think it's the tamiya 1/48 model.

Didn't you think it's kind of strange that in all the years the dauntlass and skyraider have supposedly been under development we didn't see any fully painted mock ups of it, yet out of the blue we have a stunning, fully finished mosquito prototype?..which would be huge....it was clearly a small scale model being shown.

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:47 am

Well, of course it was strange. They didn't even have a mockup of their El Diablo F-86 repaint (which should have been fairly easy to do). The thing is I built the Tamiya 1/48 scale kit way back when and all along I was thinking that the landing gear bears a striking resemblance to the Tamiya kit, but then again mine was the bomber version with the plexiglas nose (no side hatch opening in the fuselage).

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:06 pm

I'm more then a bit disappointed with Admiral. I had talked to Jason about helping to sell their products here in the NorthWest to hobby shops and the many military bases. I talked to a lot of people about their products and the new stuff to come, and had harvested some interest from them.

Now all there is to show for it is silence. I had to explain to these same folks why they haven't heard anything more from Admiral so I've lost some of my credibility and of course I get a lot of ribbing for it from my friends but I can live with that.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:19 pm

I wonder why Jason just doesn't stop in and give us a definitive yes or no. Who knows, maybe there's some legal issues at hand that are preventing him from commenting. I still have a 2 Dauntless order paid for at MTS that will likely go towards some JSI offerings soon. I mean it's closing in on something like 3 years isn't it?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:55 pm

Well, Jason did post on this board and he did at one time respond to our PMs. Therefore, assuming he still uses that same email address, we could each PM him several times and fill his inbox up with those PM notifications. Perhaps he might take notice...

Then again, he probably switched his email or sends all our PMs to the spam box.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:49 pm

While all this news sounds bad I don't think AT is out of business just yet lets just keep hoping. I am sure sooner or latter we will hear from them.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:41 am

tmanthegreat wrote:Admiral's demise is of no surprise to me. It was a small company making very specialized products for a niche market that was oversaturated, all during an economic downturn. If 21c could not escape the current economic situation, then Admiral most certainly could not.
You called it exactly right. However, I would guess that Admiral might (read: might) not be in any kind of disastrous financial situation. Perhaps they have just decided to close up shop temporarily and take a hiatus to wait for the marketplace to sort out the product glut as well as the consumer attitude that product is plentiful / wait around buy it on clearance / etc. Sometimes it is just more appropriate to hold off for awhile and wait for economic and consumer sentiments to change.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:08 pm

Airacobra wrote:I wonder why Jason just doesn't stop in and give us a definitive yes or no. Who knows, maybe there's some legal issues at hand that are preventing him from commenting. I still have a 2 Dauntless order paid for at MTS that will likely go towards some JSI offerings soon. I mean it's closing in on something like 3 years isn't it?
It could be anything ... personal life, other interests, ...

I preordered the Hartmann today from HistoricAviation. I hope that Admiral toys comes back. :)

I do not think anybody should harass Jason though. If new stuff comes out, great. If not, he brought us some great toys.

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:16 pm

I know that admiral toys are still around because they have stuff listed on eBay. My hopes are that they would surface and let us know their future.

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:26 pm

Aviatornut.com wrote:I know that admiral toys are still around because they have stuff listed on eBay. My hopes are that they would surface and let us know their future.
Hopefully they are still around to a point where they can still release aircraft. I would rather keep my Dauntless order instead of picking up the JSI releases. It would just be nice to know is all.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:28 am

I know it's been a while since I have posted here on SSHQ (spending all my free time on the motorcycle, and with very little of interest to me showing up in the 1/18th world...), but I don't think it's time to rule Admiral out completely. I do know that they were working on several non-toy projects that were intended to provide funding and more reliable income that could also help support R&D for their aircraft/armor projects.
With the general economy sucking it as much as it does, and Admiral's somewhat limited distribution network, releasing a plane would be a huge gamble. Add in that getting a business loan is harder than ever, they may be just laying low with all projects on hold until things turn around.

I do hope that they make a comeback to the marketplace, because they represented the best chance for some real variety in the 1/18th marketplace.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:21 pm

Raising hype and promotional releases about new planes etc... then running off to do other things not related to what they just promoted doesn't make too much marketing sense, unless the sole reason was a deperate move to secure more funding for the projects all ready in the works.

DH

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:25 pm

I was under the assumption that the pre-orders for the Dauntless were going well. I know I had two on order then canceled them only when we heard nothing further from Jason. I hope they really are in hibernation rather then out of business. Still, I don't think it would be that inconvenient for someone from Admiral just to pop up here and say, "We're still here!" Speaking of MIA, I wonder what ever happened to Mike from BBI? He must have gotten fired as well.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

cornbreadfred
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cornbreadfred » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:27 pm

I hope we can get someone from JSI to give us updates on here.
Fred, really looking forward to the JSI 1/18th scale Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:15 pm

I think we could still see this plane when the economy gets better. Too big a risk with the economy as it is. But patience will be a virtue because with almost 10% unemployment I can't imagine the market being very receptive at this time.

I guess we will see how the JSI F-14 sells.
T
Todd

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:20 pm

I spoke to someone affiliated with Admiral this weekend at the Wings Over Houston Show and Admiral Toys is still around but they are waiting to produce planes until the economy improves. They are waiting for financing for some of their models so the timeframe is indefinite-so hang on and perhaps we will see something next year.
Todd
Todd

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:31 pm

Well, at least there is still hope then. The question remains, how long do I hold on to that Dauntless order..........