TRU's Exclusive Tank and AAV playsets

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Stug45
Officer - Brigadier General

TRU's Exclusive Tank and AAV playsets

Post by Stug45 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:03 pm

The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

Black_Dragon_One

Re: TRU's Exclusive Tank and AAV playsets

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:10 am

love it hopefully it will be in my area..

i need one..
whats up doc....

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:32 am

wahoo the chap mei AAV made it to toys r us! I've been hoping for this all year. Looks pretty good too.

I hope the little Wespe they made makes it here too.

...thanks for the heads up Stug.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:13 am

Interesting Amtrac. The rest is sandbox fodder for the kiddies.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:26 am

The amtrack has potential. Still underscaled, but not too underscaled. With a repaint it would be passable. The T-72 tank looks useful as well. It is obviously small, but with a repaint could work as some sort of enemy armor.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:31 am

agreed
amtrac is nice alot of possibilities
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:46 am

i looked at the AAV in some detail a while ago, from pictures and it is very good in length and height. About 1/19 iirc. But i suspect it will be way narrow, on the order of 2/3 what it should be.

That's not going to stop me from getting one.....probably the only one we'll see close to this scale unless Bravo Team really surprises.

I'm just as keen on getting the Wespe look alike they made in the same soldier force vi series. It only needs to be a little over 10 inches long to be to scale and from the pics it looks about that size.

The tank i don't know about. Certainly small. The turret actually looks pretty scale but the hull is too small for the turret. The chap mei merkava was like that too.

The best thing to do, although a bit expensive, might be to put the chap mei turret on the power team chinese tank hull. The hull of the power team tank was much closer to scale and pretty similar to a t-72 hull. The turret is of a totally different design, though. Since the chap mei turret seems to be to scale it might be a good match.

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:41 am

aferguson wrote:I hope the little Wespe they made makes it here too.

Same here.
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

NSA
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by NSA » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:11 pm

The tank is TINY! I saw these at TRU today looking for the new LAV-25.

The "T-90U" or whatever is freaking small. Won't work for anything.

The AAV is about the size of the FOV Sherman, if that helps. It got loads of crap that can hopefully be taken off.
The Fighting 1:18th
"The Web's last, best chance to BS without BS!"
http://www.fighting118th.com

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:33 am

What 'tank' were you referring to?...the Wespe?..if so, it should be small. Around 10 1/2 inches.

the turret of the t-72 looks to be fine to me. The turret on real t-72's is small. The hull is the problem, but the PTE chinese tank's hull will work very nicely and is much larger.

The AAV has to be larger than the FOV sherman. I can tell just by looking at the pictures it's at least 15-16 inches long and the FOV sherman would be about 13.

NSA
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by NSA » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:27 pm

Ill try to get some comparison pictures for you next time.. the TANK (and by tank I mean "T-90U" thing) is really small. Small turret and very small chassis.

I knew they would be small, but seeing them in person really surprised me how tiny the tank was.
The Fighting 1:18th
"The Web's last, best chance to BS without BS!"
http://www.fighting118th.com

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:35 pm

well, there are pics of the tank on the joecustoms forum and the figure in the turret looks pretty good in size comparison....the turret really doesn't look too small. But the hull is 2/3 the size it should be. I still think the chap mei turret will look good on the PTE chinese tank hull.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:36 am

I saw these yesterday as well. Overall, they looked much smaller than I expected, even from the pictures. The turret on the tank is perhaps aproximately the size it needs to be for a T-72, but is still too small. The tank hull is far too tiny. The AAVP is too narrow the overall proportion are too small. The AAVP is actually a rather large vehicle - look at pictures of the FOV 1:32 version with the figures riding on it to get a better estimate of the actual size should be. It is a large vehicle and stands taller (and nearly wider) than an M1 Abrams.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:49 am

i knew from the box dimensions the aav was gong to be way narrow.

i still think the turret is pretty close to 1/18. T-72 turrets are not very large but the hull is probably around 1/24.

Did you see the Wespe?

Sky Ray
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Sky Ray » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:21 pm

AAV pics:

T-72 pics:

Last edited by Sky Ray on Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:39 pm

those are great pics, thanks.

It's about the size i figured it would be. It's really not that bad in height and length.......it's just the width. It's about 2/3 what it should be. But i think i can live with that; i'll know when i see it in person, i guess. Very little chance we'll ever get anything closer in scale.

I still think the t-72 turret will look good on the PTE hull.

So nobody has seen the little Wespe then? I wonder if they maybe didn't bring it into the True Heroes line. That would be disappointing.

How much was the AAV by the way? Do you remember?

Sky Ray
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Sky Ray » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:46 pm

Glad I could be of help. I re-upped some of pics from my last post that didn't load up right.
I checked 3 TRUs, no Wespe anywhere yet.
IIRC, the AAV and T-72 are both $24.99

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:59 pm

A little OT, but were the FOV Elefant and Truck at TRU? I've never seen them there... Only MLRSs and Paladins.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:44 pm

i gather you didn't buy the aav or tank. I think i'm definitely going to get both. I hope i can live with the narrowness of the aav. I think it's such a cool vehicle. I wonder if it floats?...doubtful but maybe with the troop compartment full of styrofoam it might. And how come chap mei can make this big vehicle, and have an opening troop compartment, for $24.99 but FOV can't make their similarily priced LAV with an opening troop compartment?

I expect the wespe to be the same as the aav. Pretty close to the right size, length and height but narrow. If it's usable i'm going to get a whole battery of them. :)

digger

new TRU vehicles

Post by digger » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:07 am

Aferg, I was thinking the same thing about this compared to the LAV. I think dollar for dollar the AAV may be better. Anyway, for all US customers, free shipping on it now:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=3557185

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 am

with the aav's length, i bet you can put a fair number of figures in the back too. Probably at least 6 and maybe 8. Compare that to 3 for the FOV Bradley and zero for the LAV. You can see into the back of the aav in the pics in the joescustoms link.

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Six Tops

Post by parrish333 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:53 am

aferguson wrote:with the aav's length, i bet you can put a fair number of figures in the back too. Probably at least 6 and maybe 8. Compare that to 3 for the FOV Bradley and zero for the LAV. You can see into the back of the aav in the pics in the joescustoms link.
From the pics/comments in this post:
http://www.joecustoms.com/forums/viewto ... 10&t=18500

...it really looks like even 6 figs is going to be a squeeze. Which really bums me out b/c my G.I. Joe Warthog also resembles the same real life vehicle, and has three opening hatches which figs can actually be placed down inside of, and can comfortably fit 7-8 in the troop compartment. Granted this thing captures the overall look better, but it's really just a shell with not much else going on.

Still, as you said, we're almost certainly never going to get anything better in 1:18 for this vehicle, so I may have to give in and get one.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:33 pm

interesting review. Some of his beefs i don't really care about and i disagree that it is over priced. He should buy an FOV LAV if he wants to see something that's overpriced.

For a toy it's good value i think. Most kids would love the cannon with electronic sounds. The molded figure looks good to me.....sort of the higher quality that their molded sniper figure has....to me that figure is a bonus. I'll happily pay $25 for one of these aav's to customize a bit.

Interesting he didn't comment on the narrowness, but i guess after the piddly warthog this seems huge. Holding 5-6 figures is still pretty good and much better than the fov bradley and lav, the crew area didn't go as deep as i figured it would.

The lines are good and overall i would say it's about 1/20 scale, better than that in length and height, which i can live with.

Oh, and i plan to make mine float. :)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:29 pm

has nobody on here bought one of these aav's yet? I'd like a board members review/opinion.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:51 pm

I saw these at ToysRus this weekend and thought about picking one up. Dont look too bad and I bet with the painting skills of some of our members, would actually look darn good. (I just dont have any of those skills :-(