POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
toyktdlgh
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by toyktdlgh » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:57 pm

Pa Deuce wrote:Looks like the solvent part of the hand cleaner is depositing some of the, what I assume would be dark grey stained solvent+paint, into the panel lines leaving a sort of nice wash as an after effect of wiping the gojo off - is that what I'm seeing?
Well it’s really not leaving a residue since it’s not a chemical cleaner at all. What is happening is the darker grey of the paint and our beautiful spots are staying in the lines and the top coat is coming off. It leaves a cool weathered effect. I think that after completing it and hitting it with a dull coat I will be able to enhance this effect and make it look more like the weathering on the prototype. Regardless there are going to be pesky spots that will give you some crap. I had one n the left wing that was in a real bad spt. Afterwards it just looks like some weathering and doesn’t remotely resemble the spot at all. Unfortunately this is a labor intensive project as you are essentially using a past to sand down the paint and mix it in to the rest of the plane. Out damn spot out!

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:57 pm

Sabrefan wrote:Nobody has mentioned the wings. Do they sweep back and forth well?
Mine worked just fine. :wink:

CENT-ONE
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CENT-ONE » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:02 pm

thatf14guy wrote:someone on ebay is selling 10 of the exclusive tomcats for less than 200 bucks.
could post a link with that cause I'm not seeing it anywhere
Good Trader List
-Digger -Razor -Mowmaw -Flayrah -ThreeToughTrucks -jlspec -KWR190 -CW4USARMY -vmf214 -bravo5 -holensock -cranedriver -billgiff -Rowsdower -tparkhere

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:17 pm

CENT-ONE wrote:
thatf14guy wrote:someone on ebay is selling 10 of the exclusive tomcats for less than 200 bucks.
could post a link with that cause I'm not seeing it anywhere
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-18-JSI-BBI-F-14-J ... 2557dc8d60

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:20 pm

52 bucks shipping on these.......ouch!
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Boy look at that gear in that eBay photo bow. It’s just way too soft for such a big plane.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:26 pm

looks like someone beat me to that, but thats it. thats a great price.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Does the main gear sit at an angle like that on all the models?
Paul Hebert

Jwcarpenter
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jwcarpenter » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:45 pm

Question on Main Gear being angled. Sometimes it all depends on how you set it up. If you put the three pegs in correctly it stands up mostly straight. But you cannot really "roll it well on its gear" if you do you risk pulling the pegs out and when the pegs are out the landing gear is very flimsy.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:45 pm

well i got an email from the guy on ebay, they are not the special edition planes as pictured on his ebay post, but they are the regular ones. but that is still a good price even for the regular version. he says he has 15 on hand. sorry bout the confusion. that is also why i didnt do a link at first i wanted to confirm it with the seller on which ones he had. glad i did.

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:06 pm

Sabrefan wrote:52 bucks shipping on these.......ouch!
Its $76.90 now :roll:
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:11 pm

Jwcarpenter wrote:Question on Main Gear being angled. Sometimes it all depends on how you set it up. If you put the three pegs in correctly it stands up mostly straight. But you cannot really "roll it well on its gear" if you do you risk pulling the pegs out and when the pegs are out the landing gear is very flimsy.
Ah...that's not good to hear.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:35 pm

Honestly...why would anyone want to roll their Tomcat?

Jwcarpenter
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jwcarpenter » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Honestly...why would anyone want to roll their Tomcat?

Diego, good question, you will see when you get your plane, sometimes you want to move it slightly and one of the pegs will fall out, even if you pick it up and turn it around you risk the pegs falling out of place. And one of them you literally have to turn the plane upside down to put it in. So will you roll it in most cases? probably not.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:54 pm

Can anyone post a close up pictures of the pegs you are talking about on the main landing gear? Thanks.
Paul Hebert

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:39 pm

Jwcarpenter wrote:Honestly...why would anyone want to roll their Tomcat?

Diego, good question, you will see when you get your plane, sometimes you want to move it slightly and one of the pegs will fall out, even if you pick it up and turn it around you risk the pegs falling out of place. And one of them you literally have to turn the plane upside down to put it in. So will you roll it in most cases? probably not.
Understandable, I can't tell how many times I move a new model once I initially get it, trying to get it in just the right spot.

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:54 pm

I just found out that Aikens kinda messed up and charged me for two planes and Sally refunded the dough as quick as she could but she also said that she sent me two birds. I asked her if she could just wait a couple of days and I would pay for the second bird. I hope she does cause I would love to take advantage of TKO's repaint deal and have a second in OG condition for the future. I feel pretty crappy cause she apologized and refunded the dough but I really can't do anything till I get back stateside.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:34 pm

MilitaryToyShop.com is not excepting returns.

My Cat was PAID FOR (they charged my card) before it even arrived at their store in Ohio and shipped. It was PAID FOR before the disclaimer on the Tomcat order page.

Now, not that I'm going to return it, but can they legally do this???

Seems like etailers are quickly changing their tune about the SpotCat.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:11 pm

I ended up (just yesterday) canceling my pre-paid preorder with Trinkets to Treasures. Susan at T to T was very gracious about it when I explained that I just can't live with the spots. They've refunded my payment.

The spots bothered me more and more so I canceled before my order shipped. And I didn't want to go through the added time and expense of having it painted. When you spend over $200 on a plastic airplane, it should look reasonably good right out of the box.

Now I'm holding out for a low-viz version, which is what I really wanted in the first place. Hold the spots, please!

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:16 pm

Low Viz...so sexy!

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:22 pm

p.s. I am going to display mine without munitions, as it will be in the cold and dark configuration. Fuel tanks yes, racks for Aim-9/Aim-7 yes.

Might make a custom weapons truck, have a sparrow in the process of being raised to the bird, that'd be cool

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Finally saw one of these in person at a hobby shop. I stood there for 30 minutes debating whether to buy one or not and eventually walked out empty handed. The spots were too overwhelming and took away from the plane, imo.

I hope JSI gives a Jolly Rogers scheme another shot.

CessnaDriver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CessnaDriver » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Under incandescent bulb lighting.

It's an amazing jet! Even with spots this thing has P R E S E N C E !

But I will be masking the markings and airbrushing out the spots.
There really isn't that much to have to mask off though. Just need to be precise along the edges.

STARMAN 352
Corporal
Corporal

Post by STARMAN 352 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Well i used the Gojoe on the standard verson and then used the Pro Modeller Black weathering wash on it...I was always planing on using the weathering with this standard version. It turned out better then the spots being on there. This does take more time using Gojoe and it's not bad
but i think repainting it would be easier to do. I will repaint the other version i have like Zach did to his.
http://www.thediecasthangarpub.com

P47faninchicago
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by P47faninchicago » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:19 pm

Used tamiya sky grey diluted 50/50 with a little white added and used it to blend in the spots with my Iwata airbrush. I am very happy with the results. Took all of 45 minutes.[Imageimg]
[Image/img]
[Imageimg][/img]