POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:25 pm

Thanks for posting the photos of the Standard Version

I'll be happy with that, glad they aren't as dark as the special edition ones, I can live with the Standard Edition

thetatau87
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by thetatau87 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:30 pm

I was holding out to see pictures of the actual production version of the non-special edition, but now that I've seen them I'm canceling my pre-order. No way am I paying $210 for paint that bad. Paying an additional $100 to "fix" it is crazy to me. The fixed version doesn't even look that good. TKO did the best he could, but there is no good way to fix such a messed up paing job with out it looking touched up.

I'm going to roll the dice and wait for the next run from JSI. My bet is that they have too much invested in the development and molds for this aircraft to stop at one paint scheme. S1 of this plane will forever be remembered, and not in a good way. I'll wait for S2

I'm sure with all the complaints JSI will not let a 2nd version of the spotcat get out the door and their future releases will have much improved or no weathering at all.

*** If anyone wants to buy my pre-order from Aikens Airplanes and get the free shipping. I will sell it to you and have it shipped directly to you from Aikens for what they charge me. I have not canceled it yet.

SierraMikeBravo
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SierraMikeBravo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi all! I got my SE version of the tomcat today. I have to say, the model "looks" very nice regarding sight lines...but that is where it ends. This bird is one of the most fragile things I have ever laid my hands on. First off, my lights didn't work, and I found that the battery compartment had two loose wires, so I had to spend 2 hours fixing that, one side winder doesn't stay on very well, the landing gear is incredibly fragile, and it just feels like if you handle it at all, something is gonna break. Definitely not even remotely as durable as the F18 or F16 from BBI. I am so scared that something is gonna break, not sure if I want to send it off to be repainted. There was also a broken piece in there that I never did find out what it went to. Some parts don't seem like they were seated properly either...and make sure you keep any fingers away from the jet intakes...they'll cave on you if you put any weight whatsoever on them. Bottom line, the sight lines look great, but for an overall grade, I will have to be harsh and give it a C- (D for build quality and B for appearance...would have gotten an A for appearance except for the crummy paint job). If you are a die hard Tomcat fan like me, grab it...if not, sit this one out. Just my thoughts and observations.

Stug45
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Stug45 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:27 pm

SierraMikeBravo wrote:Hi all! I got my SE version of the tomcat today. I have to say, the model "looks" very nice regarding sight lines...but that is where it ends. This bird is one of the most fragile things I have ever laid my hands on. First off, my lights didn't work, and I found that the battery compartment had two loose wires, so I had to spend 2 hours fixing that, one side winder doesn't stay on very well, the landing gear is incredibly fragile, and it just feels like if you handle it at all, something is gonna break. Definitely not even remotely as durable as the F18 or F16 from BBI. I am so scared that something is gonna break, not sure if I want to send it off to be repainted. There was also a broken piece in there that I never did find out what it went to. Some parts don't seem like they were seated properly either...and make sure you keep any fingers away from the jet intakes...they'll cave on you if you put any weight whatsoever on them. Bottom line, the sight lines look great, but for an overall grade, I will have to be harsh and give it a C- (D for build quality and B for appearance...would have gotten an A for appearance except for the crummy paint job). If you are a die hard Tomcat fan like me, grab it...if not, sit this one out. Just my thoughts and observations.

The funny thing is i keep hearing ppl say its just a TOY, i want to some kid play with it :wink:
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:38 pm

i think the light ghost grey is paint, no molded plastic. Acetone was used as a spot remover and some of the light grey was disolving too. It would be great if the base colour was molded plastic; would make spot removal much easier.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:40 pm

Please see the PRO and CON threads for the Tomcat Discussion.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:53 pm

i've unlocked and re-stickyed this thread because there really needs to be a thread for general discussion, questions etc, otherwise they'll be new threads popping up all over the place with people asking how to work the u/c, where batteries go etc.

But keep this one for general questions and finds, discussion etc. from now on. Pros/cons go in the appropriate other stickys.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:34 pm

Greetings

Good to see that the Navy marking was corrected. Paint finish isn't the best but it isn't a total deal breaker either. I will keep mine coming for now and probably get it.

Thanks to PCoughran for actually posting the first authentic photos of this. The standard version is surely better than the lighted versions I've seen. Just wonder if the really spotty ones were turned into the special edition ones?

Just a thought!
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

snake

Post by snake » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:22 pm

Well after much thought,and some emails between a couple of retailers,and TKO,I have decided to cancel my pre order of this F-14.

Zach has done a wonderful job,and a great service,but even his excellent repaint still has a couple of small issues that he can do nothing about.
Some small dark patches under the decals.

For $230,plus at LEAST another $100+ to fix,I am not satisfied with the plane.

JSI has really dropped th ball on this "BIG TIME"
If they do another run of the F-14,I would be interested,
But I will never pre order from JSI again.
:evil:

And that goes for the much wanted F-15,and Su27.

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:17 pm

I went ahead and auto corrected pcoughran's photos, and it looks a little better. As long as mine isn't as dark as Lighted Version, I'll be happy.

As for it being flimsy, well that's a bummer, but in all honesty, it will be stationary, so I'm not too worried about that.

What I am worried about is getting the canopy to stay open, and the launch bar in the up position.

If anyone can attest to these issues, please let me know, there is just no way the canopy doesn't stay open, there has got to be a detent or something.

Regards, Diego

Jwcarpenter
Corporal
Corporal

The Canopy does stay open

Post by Jwcarpenter » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:27 pm

There is a small white bar that holds the canopy up. If you gently hold up the canopy and push the white bar toward the bottom of it and toward the back of the plane you will feel it rest on a ledge and the canopy will stay open. gently push the bar forward at the bottom and the canopy will close.

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:32 pm

Good to hear! Thank you so much!

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:31 am

Just got my UPS shipping notice from MTS. Spotcat is due on the doorstep on the 18th here.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:06 am

I would like to know from you guys who have the cat in hand,

Can the cat be disassembled easily and re-packed in the excellent packaging box?

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:46 am

I'd like to know as well, as I'm at home right now, but will be going to home home after the holidays

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:51 am

NWarty wrote:Just got my UPS shipping notice from MTS. Spotcat is due on the doorstep on the 18th here.
me too, the 16th for me.

STARMAN 352
Corporal
Corporal

Post by STARMAN 352 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:38 am

gouchy wrote:I would like to know from you guys who have the cat in hand,

Can the cat be disassembled easily and re-packed in the excellent packaging box?

Yes, It can be disassembled and put back in the box it came in.
http://www.thediecasthangarpub.com

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:16 am

My lighted version from aviatornut should be here on the 17th. The standard one maybe sometime around Christmas. Not sure on that since its coming from Aikens Airplanes and I have not received any news on it in a while.

SierraMikeBravo
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SierraMikeBravo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:19 am

Yes, it can, but not very easily. The nose section especially is tough to remove and may give you the feeling of "it will break any minute if I keep doing this" so be careful.

Pa Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Pa Deuce » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:08 am

Been away from the forums since the spot controversy started, hoping it was just misunderstanding, but seeing the production photos... I have to go back and read all the posts but let me just say the model looks like it was shot to hide the weathering - harsh lighting

edit: ok, I can't take the time to read every post - but look at the overhead photo on flying mule - the elevators/horizontal stabs are decently shaded, follows the panel lines and is light - the rest of the aircraft looks bad. I'll say it again, there are different skill levels of airbrush work in JSI's shop and it shows on the same model. They need to get that under control.
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z144/b_daddyj/F-14.gif[/img]

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:33 pm

Here are the instructions for installing the batteries into the limited edition tomcat.

http://forums.fighting118th.com/showthread.php?t=1433

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:46 pm

yes there are little bits of weathering that look quite nice. A few panel lines, around the engine exhaust nozzles. But the rest is just big, idiot, two tone spots.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:48 pm

STARMAN 352 wrote:

Yes, It can be disassembled and put back in the box it came in.
Quote from SierraMikeBravo "Yes, it can, but not very easily. The nose section especially is tough to remove and may give you the feeling of "it will break any minute if I keep doing this" so be careful."

Thanks Starman and SierraMikeBravo!

Good to know it can be done though with some difficulty, lets hope we all will never have to hear the dreaded CRACK of plastic breaking :D

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Aviatornut has the regular F14s in and they are shipping today 12/15
yippie kay yay!!!!

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:44 pm

BigBadToystore.com has them in now and is shipping today too. Selling for 209.99 and 29.88 shipping! :D