POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Vast Iranian Market

Post by NWarty » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:36 pm

mcaulk wrote:I hope this is some sort of German inspired miss-guided stab at humor. Hans we are laughing, LOL, LOL. We shall see.

Mike
Reminds me of the failed attempts of the Germans in Monty Python's "The Joke that Killed" where they keep shooting the joke-deliverer because it's not funny enough. :lol:

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:30 pm

NWarty wrote:After completely FUBAR'ing one of the ole girl's prettiest schemes, they would want to do THIS scheme without trying to complete a DECENT US Navy paint app. first?

Did JSI drink the bong water too???

For the sake of the 1/18 I hope this isn't the case. Just my opinion.
I agree. Seeing as how in all likelihood there aren't more than a handful of aircraft still in flyable condition in Iran's ageing (35+ year old) F-14 fleet, the choice of scheme seems utterly stupid. Perhaps the scheme is somehow attractive/desirable to the German/European market, but I can't imagine it would be greeted with much enthusiasm from the majority of North American collectors.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:58 pm

they are from china, what you expect, i just hope they don't find some way to screw it up. perhaps square camo weathering this time? :roll:

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:14 pm

ostketten wrote:
NWarty wrote:After completely FUBAR'ing one of the ole girl's prettiest schemes, they would want to do THIS scheme without trying to complete a DECENT US Navy paint app. first?

Did JSI drink the bong water too???

For the sake of the 1/18 I hope this isn't the case. Just my opinion.
I agree. Seeing as how in all likelihood there aren't more than a handful of aircraft still in flyable condition in Iran's ageing (35+ year old) F-14 fleet, the choice of scheme seems utterly stupid. Perhaps the scheme is somehow attractive/desirable to the German/European market, but I can't imagine it would be greeted with much enthusiasm from the majority of North American collectors.
The main reason I can think of is it's high kill record(which is impressive, the stories about the dogfights are impressive too, though some borderline stretch the imagination) against Iraqi Air Force aircraft. Other than that and looking cool it's hard to find another reason why they would pick it as the S2.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:18 pm

This is totally hillarious! While I agree completely agree with the comments above about the need for a decent US Navy scheme, I do find the Iranian scheme an interesting choice. Iran is the only country other than the US to have ever operated the F-14. Iranian F-14 pilots probably have the greater number of air-to-air kills in the F-14 as well due to that aircraft's use during the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:This is totally hillarious! While I agree completely agree with the comments above about the need for a decent US Navy scheme, I do find the Iranian scheme an interesting choice. Iran is the only country other than the US to have ever operated the F-14. Iranian F-14 pilots probably have the greater number of air-to-air kills in the F-14 as well due to that aircraft's use during the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s.
Tman, don't get me started on the condition of Iraqi Air Force equipment, tactics, training, or facilities after having seen it first hand, talked to the pilots, air traffic controllers, ground crew, at the time (1980's).

JSI is on the fast track to being defunct with this scheme.

Me at Qayarrah, Iraq (Q-West) November 2008. Northern Iraq, Mig-21 fighter base.
ImageImage

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:14 am

Greetings:

I think the whole Iranian F-14 deal and the relationship with the United States which eventually went the other way to the point that the U.S. refused to help them has always given the Iranian F-14's and the story behind them a bit of mystery and interest. I like the choice. There are customizers doing other U.S. schemes and it is something entirely different if this news is indeed true. I get so tired of the classic U.S. schemes on everything, representing some other air forces and markings would be quite refreshing.

Good to see someone thinking outside the box in terms of markings and have it not be a customizer.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:53 am

JoeS wrote:Not sure how far its true, but according to this long standing seller in Germany - the next paint scheme for the F-14 looks like an Iranian cat.
http://www.warbirdmodelle.de/ Look at coming soon 'Preview' or under 'Vorschau'.

Just took delivery of my F-14 thanks to MTS. I think I'm one of the first in the UK to get one...maybe..
If this is true, it indicates that the decision-makers at JSI really are Chinese. China's relationship with Iran is considered to be very important by many people in and out of government there, and there are lots of Chinese government and business people who regularly travel to Iran. They probably figure that they'll sell a few hundred to Iranian military and political folks as desk toys, and a few dozen more to PLAAF officers.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:46 am

If this is true, it indicates that the decision-makers at JSI really are Chinese. China's relationship with Iran is considered to be very important by many people in and out of government there, and there are lots of Chinese government and business people who regularly travel to Iran. They probably figure that they'll sell a few hundred to Iranian military and political folks as desk toys, and a few dozen more to PLAAF officers.
You might be on to something there, and I certainly wouldn't dismiss the the possibility. With regard to comments about the "impressive" number of kills by Iranian F-14's I think people need to take a hard look at the quality of the opponent those kills were tallied against before anyone starts getting all warm and fuzzy about the those "achievements"... :roll: Even after the fall of the Shah and the general purge of the Iranian military by the clerics, the Iranian Air Force was still considered one of the best in the Middle East, second only to Israel perhaps, and FAR superior to the Iraqi Air Force, so it's hardly surprising the Iranians achieved the sort of successes they did, given the overall lower quality of the opponent.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

jedimech
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jedimech » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:23 am

Hi guys, anyone can provide some photos of the color guide that came with their F-14?

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:04 am

i wonder if jsi is going to skip the f-15 and su-27 this year then. i think they are just trying to piss us off honestly. a iranina f-14, what tha heck are they thinking, specially with the political tension between us and iran /iraq, let alone the whole middle east.

anyone actually going to buy one if they do it?

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:07 am

I might get one if it does not have spots.
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:16 am

eeh, i might myself, but honestly there are so many other schemes they could do. plus has anyone noticed at their website that the tomcat in their pic has no spots, isn't that false advertising? :?

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:17 am

thatf14guy wrote:eeh, i might myself, but honestly there are so many other schemes they could do. plus has anyone noticed at their website that the tomcat in their pic has no spots, isn't that false advertising? :?
Sure is :evil:
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:23 am

i think they owe it to future customers to show what they are really getting, let alone actual american dealers. but all in all i give the tomcat a 8.5 outta ten, i mean it overall is a nice plane, to spite that some of the functional parts don't work or are broken, plus the spots. so maybe they are trying to redeem themselves with the next scheme coming out so soon. who knows, maybe they think they are funny. :roll:

Baker707
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Baker707 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:52 am

Tired of US schemes too :roll:
French canadian! :P
[url=http://img7.imageshack.us/i/baker707bannirezp4.png/][img]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6660/baker707bannirezp4.png[/img][/url]

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:04 pm

The Iranian F-14 re-paint is for dogfights with your Israeli defense force F-15!

This is just to hold you over until you get your PLAAF J-11 twin seater!

(Hope most of you guys are good with an airbrush)

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:43 pm

ostketten wrote:
You might be on to something there, and I certainly wouldn't dismiss the the possibility. With regard to comments about the "impressive" number of kills by Iranian F-14's I think people need to take a hard look at the quality of the opponent those kills were tallied against before anyone starts getting all warm and fuzzy about the those "achievements"... :roll: Even after the fall of the Shah and the general purge of the Iranian military by the clerics, the Iranian Air Force was still considered one of the best in the Middle East, second only to Israel perhaps, and FAR superior to the Iraqi Air Force, so it's hardly surprising the Iranians achieved the sort of successes they did, given the overall lower quality of the opponent.
If we are looking at it that way, that's similar to saying that the F-15 Eagles' nearly flawless(depending on who you talk to) kill ratio isn't very significant because the dogfights between the IAF and the Syrian Air Force in the Bekaa Valley were more akin to a Turkey Shoot compared to the dogfights of the Iran/Iraq war.

In any case, the kill ratio of the Tomcat in Iranian hands is the only explanation I can think of for JSI to make one.

Meanwhile, I still hope they make a USN repaint that is ACCURATE for the mold. Bombcat in final cruise Black Aces and Black Knights preferably.

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:48 pm

If we are looking at it that way, that's similar to saying that the F-15 Eagles' nearly flawless(depending on who you talk to) kill ratio isn't very significant because the dogfights between the IAF and the Syrian Air Force in the Bekaa Valley
And you'd probably be right... :roll: Anyhow, it sure takes some of the luster off the Iranian's "impressive" kill ratio. I'm done here, you win OK.. :? :roll:

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:31 pm

Greetings:

The F-14 is a fine piece when all the parts are there and put together right. I've had mine up on its gear for three weeks with no problems, I even leaned on it during touchup of the little tail parts on the rear of the plane and the gear stayed put. The gear isn't a bad design but it isn't the best either. It defintely should be thicker and the aircraft not be so unsteady on them. But if all the parts are there, the gear does hold the aircraft's weight.

Spots aside, all 1/18 pieces had their share of QC problems. 21st had some pieces that were horrendous and troublesome as well. I'll always remember the 21st pieces I saw at TRU or Walmart with busted props, broken other parts and the famous overspray or touchup that wasn't even the right color. I remember so many times having to hunt for a good one of certain planes. And if I look through my collection, every plane has it's little issue, there is not one that is 100 percent perfect. That's mass production for you.

As far as the Iranian thing goes with a new Tomcat, maybe they just wanted to do something different. And Iran was the only other operator of the F-14 besides the U.S. I'm glad to see a different scheme for once. I'll defintely get one of them if they make it.
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:57 pm

I've had mine up on its gear for three weeks with no problems, I even leaned on it during touchup of the little tail parts on the rear of the plane and the gear stayed put.
Corey, don't you have Jack's F-14 from Skyworks with the modified landing gear?

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Mountain Man:

It is a Skyworks repaint but the gear is the gear from the factory. I elected not to get the gear fix as it was extra and I was short on cash at the time.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:58 pm

The stock landing gear on my F-14 are still holding up just fine. No sign of stressing or cracking. Except for the 4-5 times I've folded the gear, my F-14 has been sitting on them without incident since it was purchased on December 17 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:14 pm

mountian-man wrote:
I've had mine up on its gear for three weeks with no problems, I even leaned on it during touchup of the little tail parts on the rear of the plane and the gear stayed put.
Corey, don't you have Jack's F-14 from Skyworks with the modified landing gear?
Speaking of which, does anyone here have the modded gears?

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:10 pm

Glad to see JSI wants to announce an S2 scheme instead of showing us the pilots that were shown in addition to the ground crew :roll:

At this point, my faith in JSI as a company that gives a rat's ass about the customer is completely gone.