POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:24 pm

aferguson wrote:do the helmets on the f-14 pilots need to be yellow? I got a couple of the chap mei pilot figures and i kind of like the red helmets they come with. But if they'd look way out of place in the F-14 i guess i'll repaint them..

Did the pilot's helmets always match the colours of their planes? Quite fashion conscious if they did. :lol:
From what I understand VF-84 at this time period had the gold (not yellow) helmets. At some point in the late 80's or early 90's (not sure about time frame) the Navy no longer allowed "colorful" helmets. They passed a rule that 80% or greater of the helmet had to be white (for rescue and visibility purposes?), so gone were the days of super colorful helmets like you saw in Topgun. VF-103 wore white with the same black or gold chevrons and Jolly Roger skull and bones as the original VF-84, just white base color instead of gold.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

corsair bob
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by corsair bob » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:35 pm

The F-14 is suppose to be from around the late 80' and early 90's? Is that correct?
If so I need a white helmet then.

dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by dragon53 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:35 pm

I posted a long time ago that the JSI F-14 was probably from 1989. If I remember correctly, the 1989 date can be seen in the skull and crossbones logo on the tails.

1989 (JSI version)

June, 1991

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:54 pm

dragon53 wrote:1989 (JSI version)

Spots aside, I would say that JSI got the look of the plane nearly correct. Good job on their part 8)

Its also interesting that JSI also took the 1989 version, as this would be the 20th anniversary of that scheme.

On a completely unrelated and somewhat self-serving note, it was also 20 years ago that a much younger me purchased my first real F-14 toy - and the first of many large planes to come - I got my GI Joe "Nightboomber" variant of the Skystriker in 1989 at TRU with $24.99 I saved up in my allowance :wink:
Last edited by tmanthegreat on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:57 pm

can someone post a picture of the helmet apperance from that time period? I guess my red helmet is out then..

edit: actually nevermind...i forgot JSI is coming out with pilots. Those will presumably have correct helmets.....i'll just wait and get them.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:02 pm

Here are photos of an Academy 1/48 "circa 1989" F-14 #201---the same as the JSI F-14.

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:14 pm

Funny. I've studied that picture of that guy's 1/48 VF-84 Tomcat and swear the company who made those decals are all wrong. It portrays VF-84 F-14's on the USS Independence when VF-84 only ever served on that carrier from 1960-1969 flying first F-8 Crusaders then F-4B Phantoms. During this time period (late 80's-1994 "last cruise") VF-84 only ever served on the "Big Stick" USS Teddy Roosevelt. And I don't think this scheme had anything but that tan radome nose. I actually never liked the tan radome nose, so I think this 1/48 model actually has a better paint scheme..only by a nose. The JSI is still pretty accurate for the 1989 scheme it's trying to represent. It's only issue is the mold. JSI is using a 1999-2000's late A mold with NACA gun vents and LAU-38 BOL rails. The only squadrons I can think of that would have ever used this configuration would have been VF-14 Tophatters, VF-154 Black Knights, VF-211 Checkmates and possibly VF-41 Black Aces...VF-41 is a long shot.

I still like the scheme they chose cause it is one of VF-84's coolest schemes and their last full vis before they were disbanded and transferred their heritage to VF-103 Sluggers in 1995.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:32 pm

BLACK LION VF-213:

So we go back to the photo of the real F-14 then. :D

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:51 am

aferguson wrote:can someone post a picture of the helmet apperance from that time period? I guess my red helmet is out then..

edit: actually nevermind...i forgot JSI is coming out with pilots. Those will presumably have correct helmets.....i'll just wait and get them.

sorry, couldn't resist.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:48 am

I called my JSI dealer this morning and asked about the JSI F-14 pilot set. He still doesn't know when the set will be released.

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:00 am

pcoughran wrote:
aferguson wrote:can someone post a picture of the helmet apperance from that time period? I guess my red helmet is out then..

sorry, couldn't resist.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

phil

YT

Post by YT » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:15 am

I don't know if this has been covered already, but where is the nose cone antenna located in the packaging? I have went through mine pretty thoroughly and I can't locate it. I am assuming one is included because I have seen it on a couple of people's displays.

Tanker85
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tanker85 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:15 am

Inbetween the nosecone compartment and cockpit compartment there is a slit cut in to the block and a small ziplock bag is inserted holding the antenna.

YT

Post by YT » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:04 pm

Thanks, I missed that.

Coreyeagle48

F-14 Tip

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:21 am

Greetings:

Thought this might help some people.

If you want to support your plane on its gear, in the back just in front of pegs where the tailhook mounts in, there is a pretty solid flat part there. A standard size glue stick container is the perfect size to prop between there and your display shelf, table, etc. I used a STAPLES brand one and it fits perfectly.

Just thought this might help.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:18 am

exether_mega wrote:
pcoughran wrote: Image

sorry, couldn't resist.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

phil
Gesundheit... sniff.. :lol:

deankleines
Corporal
Corporal

Unfinished F-14?

Post by deankleines » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:55 am

What are the chances that JSI might sell unassembled & unpainted F-14 kits?

I would gladly pay 100 bucks for all the parts in a bag.

Any thoughts?

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: Unfinished F-14?

Post by pcoughran » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:24 pm

deankleines wrote:What are the chances that JSI might sell unassembled & unpainted F-14 kits?

I would gladly pay 100 bucks for all the parts in a bag.

Any thoughts?
I'd settle for some new landing gear (broken during display only by sheer weight) and a new radome antennae (broken upon arrival).

I hope my list of broken parts won't grow any larger.

wolfman1973
Corporal
Corporal

Post by wolfman1973 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:11 pm

I used some of the techniques people have said to use. So did it turn out ok?
Last edited by wolfman1973 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:15 pm

Looks great Wolfman!
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

airwrench
Private First Class
Private First Class

Lowering

Post by airwrench » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:56 am

Hi!

First post here - I noticed that the F14 sits too high on it's landing gear - so I lowered mine to what I think is a more scale appearance. This was pretty easy. The main gear are made to sit at a level that is scale - all that prevents it from doing so are the compressed springs inside each leg.

To remove these, you pull the pin holding the oleo scissors linkage out (be careful, pull the pin straight out, twisting it may crack something). This allows the whole strut with the wheel to be removed - simply fish the spring out of the tube, and then reinsert the strut and the pin. You'll see the main gear has a scale compression on it now.

The nose gear is a bit more involved. You'll notice that the part of the oleo that actually slides up into the fixed part of the strut is square - the part that shows is round and painted silver. To compress this further, you have to file off about a 1/4" of the round part so it matches the square part. Once you do this, the strut will compress further.

Hope this helps somebody - I think my F-14 looks more scale now!

Airwrench

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:09 pm

got my F-14 today from WWII Attic. It's certainly a bo-hemoth. Very nice overall but mine had these wierd purple spots painted all over it....anyone else have that?

ahem....some of the spots are going to be tricky to touch up, being over top of maintainance stencils etc but i think leaving some of the spots partially exposed will look decent and give a more realistic weathered look....as opposed to the peppered with purple and grey spots look it has now. :roll:

who in hell thought that was a good idea??????
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:53 pm

My solution to the broken landing gear issue. One of mine was broke out of the box. A spring and pin was missing. Crazy how that would happen. I made one stand basic and one deluxe.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:05 pm

Pizzaguy,
I've been anxiously awaiting the F14 stand as my landing gear are broken (maybe you've seen my posts - more to come).
What's the difference/price between the two versions. The shelving I have is 14" clearance so would the stand work in that space (please say yes)?
I love your other stands and will send pics when everything is set up finally - waiting on this big bird to be settled.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:13 pm

I think I know why my gear broke. The first gear that broke has no metal rod in the strut like the other gear does. When it broke it caused undue pressure on the second "good" gear causing it to fail at the tiny angled piece that holds the whole strut in from the spring pressure.
I inserted a carbon fiber rod in broken gear but then the other good gear broke at the strut - just above where the metal rod ends about 1/4" above the wheel. The rod does not extend completely to the end of the piece and it broke right where it ends. When it broke, then the other gear cracked (again) right in the same place where I inserted the carbon fiber rod till it stopped against the end of the "tunnel". So, basically I think JSI forgot to put a metal rod in one of my gear which has led to all my problems. the other design flaw is the metal rod does not extend far enough to the wheel and still leaves a very susceptible spot for cracks and breaks right where the wheel connects.
After several breaks on both gear they are shot and I will have to display gear up (or off completely probably as I don't think they will hold together at all now).
Maybe some of you who have no gear problems have the metal rods in both struts. I'm sure they don't extend all the way to the end of the wheel connection though so you are still vulnerable there. Be careful.