POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:28 pm

Yeah, but they didn't pull ANY punches as to announcing the identity of "Onwu".

Vewwwwy Interesting....

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:38 pm

CENT-ONE good for you for not planning on trying to force the seller to stick with the tomcat price. He probably wouldn't anyway and be prepared for negative feedback etc but there's no need during these trying times to take advantage of each other.

Now and always we need to stick together, not jump on the errors of others. That's what bankers and politicians do, not real people.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:53 pm

NWarty wrote:Dude...the "F-14 Liver Spots" thread over at fighting118th just blew up! Damn! Where's the popcorn?!

Now this is entertainment. The kicker is on page 24 :shock: :D :lol:
OMG! LOLOLOLOL.

trex0770
Corporal
Corporal

Post by trex0770 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:03 pm

dragon53 wrote:Latest from Badcat's blog:

" ............The main landing gear legs were actually modeled too accurately in my opinion. The plethora of gear doors along with many small parts make the mains very realistic but they're physically the aircraft's weak link. Extra care must be used to deploy the mains and hook-up all the links, as they can break easily if even mildly abused. If I had to summarize my criticisms it would be that JSI tried too hard to impress, with the resulting design being overly complex and complicated. If I called the production shots, I would have produced a clean, factory fresh looking grey Tomcat with heavy toy-like mains and not as many delicate features (which few would miss anyway, like the BBI F-16).
"
What the heck is he talking about? Why would you not want it to be accurate?!? The thing I hated the most about the Bbi F-16 and F-18 is the inaccurate landing gear (as well as the 21CT P-38). Who wants a nice model and ugly gear? It's not like the Bbi landing gear stands up over time. They do end up bowing out if you keep the plane on it's legs over an extended period of time!

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with his comments (and I know it's his opinion). If you don't want it to be accurate then you should just buy one of those crappy Elite Force 1/somethingish scale "F-18, F-22, Su-27" chunks of plastic. Anyway, I thought accuracy was the point?!?

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:11 pm

I don't think JSI is done with the F-14 or planes in that matter give them some time...
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:13 pm

trex0770 wrote:
dragon53 wrote:Latest from Badcat's blog:

" ............The main landing gear legs were actually modeled too accurately in my opinion. The plethora of gear doors along with many small parts make the mains very realistic but they're physically the aircraft's weak link. Extra care must be used to deploy the mains and hook-up all the links, as they can break easily if even mildly abused. If I had to summarize my criticisms it would be that JSI tried too hard to impress, with the resulting design being overly complex and complicated. If I called the production shots, I would have produced a clean, factory fresh looking grey Tomcat with heavy toy-like mains and not as many delicate features (which few would miss anyway, like the BBI F-16).
"
What the heck is he talking about? Why would you not want it to be accurate?!? The thing I hated the most about the Bbi F-16 and F-18 is the inaccurate landing gear (as well as the 21CT P-38). Who wants a nice model and ugly gear? It's not like the Bbi landing gear stands up over time. They do end up bowing out if you keep the plane on it's legs over an extended period of time!

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with his comments (and I know it's his opinion). If you don't want it to be accurate then you should just buy one of those crappy Elite Force 1/somethingish scale "F-18, F-22, Su-27" chunks of plastic. Anyway, I thought accuracy was the point?!?
I agree ...but I think they could have used die cast...of course it would cost more..
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

CENT-ONE
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CENT-ONE » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:32 pm

aferguson wrote:CENT-ONE good for you for not planning on trying to force the seller to stick with the tomcat price. He probably wouldn't anyway and be prepared for negative feedback etc but there's no need during these trying times to take advantage of each other.

Now and always we need to stick together, not jump on the errors of others. That's what bankers and politicians do, not real people.
Definitely, I saw it and hit the buy it now and paid right away THEN went back and saw the seller was selling other similar stuff and knew it was a typo and that I couldn't hold them to it. There's always that chance that it could have been someone with no idea selling it so I went with it.

Of course I did try to freak them out for about 2 seconds. They emailed me saying that it was a typo and they couldn't sell at that price so I sent this as a reply...

"Hi,
Thanks for getting in touch with me about this, I though it may have been a typo since $23 seemed like a lot of money for a toy airplane. I'm assuming that you actually meant to list if for $2.30 buy it now and just forgot to put the decimal point in. I'll still take it if you could refund me the difference.
Thanks"

followed right away by another reply letting them know I was joking. :P
Good Trader List
-Digger -Razor -Mowmaw -Flayrah -ThreeToughTrucks -jlspec -KWR190 -CW4USARMY -vmf214 -bravo5 -holensock -cranedriver -billgiff -Rowsdower -tparkhere

CENT-ONE
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by CENT-ONE » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:34 pm

could someone post a detail pic of the landing gear problem?
Good Trader List
-Digger -Razor -Mowmaw -Flayrah -ThreeToughTrucks -jlspec -KWR190 -CW4USARMY -vmf214 -bravo5 -holensock -cranedriver -billgiff -Rowsdower -tparkhere

glcanon
Corporal
Corporal

Post by glcanon » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:27 pm

Agree the landing gear should probably be diecast with something this size. Diecast 1/72 scale stuff has plastic gear too, and they can sag. The plastic gear on the Century Wings F-14 is also tricky, you can break a support if you're not careful and the plane will sit lopsided.

Few of you may be interested, but my bro just got his bird this wk and confirmed the outer box dimensions as 35 3/8" x 8" x 22 3/8" and someone else confirmed Bad Cat Rob got his 40' Dry Box of birds in. So re-doing the calculations using inside dimensions of 4 x 40' Dry boxes and the outer brown JSI box dimensions gives us a maximum possible 2,288 Spotcats, or 572 Max in each container. My guess is 2000 regulars and 250 special editions imported into the U.S. Next question: When do the returns go on sale?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:36 pm

i read the thread on the 1-18th board. They certainly say it like it is... I get the impression they don't care much for Badcat Toys, over there. Perhaps i'm reading too much into it. :lol:

What was the reference about bad blood between them and us? I wasn't aware there is bad blood between them and us. Guess i better get the kentucky feuding rifle out...

YT

Post by YT » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:48 pm

I am an active member of both boards and I am not aware of any bad blood.

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:55 pm

I appreciate Badcat posting a series of outdoor pics of the standard edition. One cannot say they are trying to hide something or misrepresent in those pics.

http://www.badcattoys.com/fto1scforla2.html

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:55 am

aferguson wrote:i read the thread on the 1-18th board. They certainly say it like it is... I get the impression they don't care much for Badcat Toys, over there. Perhaps i'm reading too much into it. :lol:

What was the reference about bad blood between them and us? I wasn't aware there is bad blood between them and us. Guess i better get the kentucky feuding rifle out...
Them's fight'n words. Ma, get the rifle off the fireplace. :D

I can't believe BCA took the time to register an alias on our site just to pick a fight. Even worse, he used his personal email to register, leaving a clean trail back home. Christmas sales must be down if Rob has that much time on his hands. Think it's fairly safe to say he's lost a few customers in the process.

Yeah, wish this whole bad blood myth between sites would fade away. I know I enjoy visiting multiple places for differing point of views.

Merry Christmas guys!

Ron
[url=http://www.fighting118th.com]Fighting118th:[/url] Joe Deserves Better!

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:07 am

Well, BCA's lost my business for good after this whole shady fiasco

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:38 am

aferguson wrote:black dragon......they're talking about the mg 34 machine gun, fullsized, in the backround. Not Mig fighters,
opps i thought i mist something... :D

i thought there was a new product.. :D

darn

me mig15 will have to do for target pratice

thanks
whats up doc....

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:39 am

NWarty wrote:Well, BCA's lost my business for good after this whole shady fiasco
Same here, and to think I was going to spend 200 dollars after Christmas there.

I said it from the start, that BadCatRob was nothing but a shady fool, I even got kicked from their blog for speaking the truth...

...whose the --- head now Rob? (see, I can tone down the vulgar 8) )

Diego

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:44 am

yeah thats why he kicked me off at first but you have to see this plane in real life, pics don't give it justice. even with the spots it looks amazing, but i'm still getting mine repainted. but, keep this in mind bad cat is the people who said that all 1/18 collectors are d...heads and that the scale needs to die out. rob is an a.. its that simple, he even went as far as getting on this forum before to discredit me, why would he care what we think, unless he is a jerk. so don't feel bad, i would stay away from them. they aren't woth our time.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:22 pm

Pilot issues. I've seen some pics of you guys' that have pilots inside the cockpit. I've tried with my custom "BigLots" Guys and with BBI F18 pilot. Couldn't get either one to fit it seemed. The leg holes seem to be too short and the BBI Pilot isn't on the large side. I also took a Bravo Team Seal guy (minus head which I replaced with my Big Lots pilot head) and he was too long as well.
For the pics below I had to take the legs off of the BigLots guys, even then the torso was really too long as the helmets were hitting the ejection handles above their heads.
Is it me or is the cockpit too small for the average 33/4" figure. are the Joe figures some of you are using smaller? Maybe JSI's pilots will be on the smaller side? I was afraid I'd break something else if I kept pushing to get them in tighter.

(sorry about the lighting and focus on these, couldn't get natural light and my camera was acting up on me).

"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

wolfman1973
Corporal
Corporal

Post by wolfman1973 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:53 pm

I had the same problem at first with getting the pilots in. I used a BBI F-18 and F-16 pilot. There is two holes where the legs can can extend. It is hard to get them in I had to use a small screw driver to get the feet in. But they will get in there. Otherwise the plane isn't bad. I try to overlook the spots, but its hard. If they only wouldn't have put them there. Can't complain, you never know we might have not even got this plane. So guess Im thankful. Hope they still do the F-15

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:03 pm

Wow, what an interesting development on BC

How certain are they its really Robert Miller of BC? Could be unlikely coincidence because of common name?

I've read from here there are neg vibes of this company but this is a real eye opener for me, totally mythbusterly busted

He mentioned himself he was kicked out of here by P51 for his posts, anybody knows what was it about?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:16 pm

it's a bit surprising that the bbi pilots don't fit well in the Tomcat. They're pretty well scaled, as opposed to the chap mei figs which are overly large a bit. The real Tomcat's cockpit isn't all that cramped, so there should be ample room but i guess it's the old 'plastic doesnt' compress like flesh and cloth' problem again.

Obviously JSI didn't make the cockpit oversized, like 21c and BBI have done on some of their planes. I suspect JSI's pilots will be like BBI's, size-wise. I hope they don't have spots on them.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Oh no, I just heard that the upcoming JSI F-14 pilots have chickenpox, so they will come with spots. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Coreyeagle48

Pilots

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:00 pm

Greetings

Couple of things:

*The Big Lots pilots do not fit well either. I tried like heck to put them in and only succeeded in getting a guy in the front seat, not the back. I think it may be due to the oversized limbs. I even pulled that little front pack off the guy and it didn't work.

*The PTE guys work great though! I was able to fit two of them in very easily. I had two spare green suited figures lying around. They are now my pilot and RIO. They fit the most correct of all the figures I have. I don't collect GI JOE so I don't know about those.

* If people are having trouble with the little white tab for the landing gear staying in the little hole under the plane (mine kept falling out everytime the gear compressed) I have a solution. I just used a little Aleene's Tacky Glue on the hole and then put the peg in. It's strong enough to hold the peg in place but also can be easily removed with a hobby knife as it is simple craft glue and not super glue.

*Watch the tail tabs, they break easily, I broke one working on the landing gear.

*Some minor trimming may help getting the weapons attachments and hardpoints to fit properly.

*Look on your pieces, you may have some foam residue from the packing. It wipes off easy.

*She's surprisingly heavy! I picked her up and surprised by the weight nearly dropped her.

For a mass produced item, everything for me fit relatively well. Pretty neat piece even with the questionable weathering. Very awkward to handle with the large size though.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:18 pm

[quote="pcoughran"]Pilot issues. I've seen some pics of you guys' that have pilots inside the cockpit. I've tried with my custom "BigLots" Guys and with BBI F18 pilot. Couldn't get either one to fit it seemed. The leg holes seem to be too short and the BBI Pilot isn't on the large side.

I encountered this problem as well when I tried putting my BBI F-16 and F-18 pilots in the plane for the first time. They do go in, but it is a tight fit getting the legs into the proper places. The fact that their legs are a bit wide due to the sculpting of the flight suit makes for a difficult fit. For whatever reason, my BBI F-16 pilot fits better in the front seat and the F-18 pilot in the rear. I also tried to fit in the BBI helo pilot figure. It went OK in the front, but not the back seat. While I have not tried it yet, I can see where the 25th-style GI Joe figures should be able to fit nicely due to the thinner legs.

I'll be curious to see how JSI does their pilot figures when they release them next year. I suspect they will be knock-offs of the BBI pilots, but they could go with something original.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 pm

Greetings:

Ah ha!

That little piece on the landing gear hooks into the fuselage, no wonder my gear were so wobbily.

Guess JSI never heard of instructions, LOL

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower