POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:21 am

Except, of course, people have a right to be concerned when they have invested $230 in "just a toy airplane" that may or may not measure up to previous expectations vis-à-vis the paint master. When a manufacturer decides it's ok to release work-in-progress pictures of their "assembly line" but decides NOT to include a picture of the finished product, that's when the customer feedback pooh pooh starts hitting the sales PR fan. It's a bad business decision and it's theirs (or their distributor's) entirely. There's nothing irrational about being concerned and even, gasp, upset by this "snafu." It's not unreasonable to expect the distributor to release a picture of the finished product (especially with a product of this nature and especially now that people have complained about it). And $230 give pretty much anyone the right to voice their concerns, don't you think?

Also, if JSI truly values their potential customers they'll use this opportunity to their advantage and learn a PR lesson or two from this episode. And maybe next time around they'll release pictures of the finished product before it actually hits the selves.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:29 am

Except, of course, people have a right to be concerned when they have invested $230 in "just a toy airplane" that may or may not measure up to previous expectations vis-à-vis the paint master. When a manufacturer decides it's ok to release work-in-progress pictures of their "assembly line" but decides NOT to include a picture of the finished product, that's when the customer feedback pooh pooh starts hitting the sales PR fan. It's a bad business decision and it's theirs (or their distributor's) entirely. There's nothing irrational about being concerned and even, gasp, upset by this "snafu." It's not unreasonable to expect the distributor to release a picture of the finished product (especially with a product of this nature and especially now that people have complained about it). And $230 give pretty much anyone the right to voice their concerns, don't you think?

Also, if JSI truly values their potential customers they'll use this opportunity to their advantage and learn a PR lesson or two from this episode. And maybe next time around they'll release pictures of the finished product before it actually hits the selves.
I don't disagree with you at all, for the money everyone's got a right to be concerned, this is the most expensive mass produced 1/18 scale item to be offered for sale.

The comments and fans I referred to were the ones that don't know how to control themselves and go ape flaming, acting irrational, et al. The guys that might eventually convince the 1/18 companies to go silent without a lick of info. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism but there is a difference between being constructive and being resentful/irrational, et al.

So again I don't disagree with what you said. I think no one would have minded if Merit posted the WIP pics so long as everyone was able to see the final bird beforehand. It's an oversight that hopefully won't be repeated. I can see why Merit thought it would be neat to show the behind the scenes work but when something is on the way and no final product image is shown as of yet, there are bound to be complaints.

A lot of members want this thing for Christmas so I understand why everyone is anxious to see the final production models.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:14 am

everywhere you go in life and in every industry, there is a fringe element of people who go overboard. Sports fans, movie fans etc etc. This is true of our hobby as well. Anyone, in any industry has to learn to deal with this irrational segment of their client base. Hiding is not the way to deal with it.

JSI brought this on themselves with a lack of good judgement. The work in progress pics could easily be (and in fact were by the vast majority who viewed them) misconstrued as finished product, given that the markings were on them. One picture of a finished plane would have eleviated almost all concerns.

And only a small number of people went ape. Most were concerned a bit but were well under control.

A smart company stays in contact with its customers; it doesn't run and hide, especially when they are the ones that goofed in the first place. Even the elusive chap mei is learning to get in touch with its customers now; they have a website, they have email access and they sell really cheap toys.

A company that sells expensive toys to a mass market needs to stay in communication with that market.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:02 am

first of all this is the united states of america not china, korea or some communist country. i have a right to my opinion and to investigate anything i wish, and why i got so offended, was the fact that bad cat tried to take that very freedom away from me when they insisted that i back off. this is a toy company, not some top secret government agency building some top secret weapon.

but the the real problem here is this, we all have differents opinions and different views and we could go back and forth about this all day. and well i chose not to do that anymore, we all should be happy and anticipating the arrival of our long awaited f-14s. so take care and happy thanksgiving, i'm done with this site for a while.
Last edited by thatf14guy on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolfman1973
Corporal
Corporal

Post by wolfman1973 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:35 am

Who cares anymore! Just wait and see what it looks like when they get here. If you don't like it then just send it back, otherwise quick complaining about something that no one really knows the real details and final production of the plane.

c44588
Corporal
Corporal

Post by c44588 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:37 am

Confucious say:

"When man go ape, it usually because some idiot bang on his cage..."

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:54 pm

I look at it this way, I committed to buy the F-14 after I saw the finished product pictures. Common sense tells me that is the product I'm buying and the photo product is what I expect to receive. If it isn't as advertised then I have a right as a consumer to return the product for a full refund. So based on that assumption what I see pictured of unfinished planes in the middle of the manufacturing process and the key word there is unfinished. I'm not going to raise a fuss until I see what the final product is. I like when we get the rare "peek" behind the scenes, it helps fill the void in our knowledge of our beloved product. Shouting matches, and rants as someone said earlier just encourage more secrecy. If you're choosy on the things you buy (as well you have the right to be) don't pre-order. Wait for the reviews/criticisms to come in and then decide to buy or not.

Long ago after I survived a bad car crash I decided that somethings just weren't worth worrying about. This is one of them. No matter how dear these things are to our hearts they are just toys/models/collectors pieces and not worth getting your blood pressure raised over. Lets get some common sense people.

This dry spell has made us all cranky. I think I'm going to give this board a time out!!!!

:D
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If I'm being very honest, my thinking is that if the finished tomcat does have obvious spots as seen in the pics, I would still get it and treasure it in my collection.

Likely because of Spot-Gate, JSI's reputation will take a hit, their books might go in the red because of the huge investment in this project and their business will suffer for a time. Which means it wwill be a very long time before we will see another tomcat, if ever, and seeing at how these planes inflate in price, I might not be able to afford one in future.

So, with good faith, I'll support JSI tomcat come what may, so that I'll get a chance to see my other dream planes released by them

Bring on the Spotted-Eagle, Polka-Flanker and A-10 Thunderdot! :D

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:23 pm

if certain people are referring to my outburst against badcat, first of all this is the united states of america not china, korea or some communist country. i have a right to my opinion and to investigate anything i wish, and why i got so offended, was the fact that bad cat tried to take that very freedom away from me when they insisted that i back off. this is a toy company, not some top secret government agency building some top secret weapon.
I wasn't referring to you, just fans in general. It's your money and if I was paying that much I'd want to know about what exactly I'm paying for.
everywhere you go in life and in every industry, there is a fringe element of people who go overboard. Sports fans, movie fans etc etc. This is true of our hobby as well. Anyone, in any industry has to learn to deal with this irrational segment of their client base. Hiding is not the way to deal with it.
One picture of a finished plane would have eleviated almost all concerns.

And only a small number of people went ape. Most were concerned a bit but were well under control.

A smart company stays in contact with its customers; it doesn't run and hide, especially when they are the ones that goofed in the first place. Even the elusive chap mei is learning to get in touch with its customers now; they have a website, they have email access and they sell really cheap toys.

A company that sells expensive toys to a mass market needs to stay in communication with that market.
Agreed

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:04 pm

i retract that part of my statement then. anyone know when merit will release that photo? i am not sure if i will be getting the custom plane anymore, since all this. besides i can use the money for a down payment on a 2010 mustang gt.

Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Birddog » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:27 pm

gouchy wrote:
I hear you on the A-10 Warthog!!

They could do the JAWS exercise versions and the spots would be accurate.....(of course they would have to be different colors though)....

:lol: :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:45 pm

i retract that part of my statement then. anyone know when merit will release that photo? i am not sure if i will be getting the custom plane anymore, since all this. besides i can use the money for a down payment on a 2010 mustang gt.
Foxhole Toys said they were going to be at a show this coming weekend IIRC, and I take it that the special edition Tomcats will be available there.

So I think we will either see the completed Tomcat in an ad or present at the show, or just a few days before then. Maybe before Thanksgiving or Black Friday.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:07 pm

i would love to go to that and see for myself, and buy one of those special edition tomcats.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:13 pm

these are some glamour pics of the prototype i stumbled on a few weeks ago, simply amazing, i hope the production ones look this good!

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:27 pm

Birddog wrote:
gouchy wrote:

They could do the JAWS exercise versions and the spots would be accurate.....(of course they would have to be different colors though)....

I'll have the Thunderbolt he's flying please!
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:09 am

Birddog wrote:
gouchy wrote:

This looks like some color-blind test livery :lol:

I'm digging these regardless... heck I'd even go for a Cobra-Blue livery 8)

Its really funny how threads always get waylaid into the A-10, sorry bout dat!

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:10 am

gouchy wrote:
Its really funny how threads always get waylaid into the A-10, sorry bout dat!
I know. Maybe JSI will do something to satisfy the need.... :D

Sorry guys....back on topic... :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:38 am

deleted

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:41 am

what dealer is that, if i may ask?

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:18 am

THATF14GUY:

It's diecastairplane.com.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:56 am

cool.

CENT-ONE
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

East Coast Shipping?

Post by CENT-ONE » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:28 pm

So I've finally decided to cave in and order one of these monsters. Unfortunately most of the online retailers I'm used to are either mid-west or west coast so the shipping is killing me.

Anyone figured out the best place to order from with shipping to Atlanta?
Good Trader List
-Digger -Razor -Mowmaw -Flayrah -ThreeToughTrucks -jlspec -KWR190 -CW4USARMY -vmf214 -bravo5 -holensock -cranedriver -billgiff -Rowsdower -tparkhere

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:07 pm

CENT-ONE:

Here's my original post from August about Aikensairplanes in Tennessee---I suggest you call them and see if they still offer the F-14 at $209.95 with FREE shipping.

"Aikensairplanes.com has the JSI F-14 for $209.95 plus FREE SHIPPING for a LIMITED time only. I talked to Sally at Aikensairplanes.com, and she said they ordered a lot of the F-14s, but the free shipping is for a limited time.
Their toll-free number is 877-224-5367."

Link:
http://www.aikensairplanes.com/jsi%20mo ... 60f-14.htm

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:39 am

Hey dragon53 and others who ordered from Aikens, how much would shipping be if the free shipping option wasn't used?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:12 pm

Probably in the $30-$40 range the other reailers have been citing, depending on one's location. Even if I have to pay for shipping from Aikens in the end, I will still save on my order. Originally, I had my preorder with Badcat. While they are not overcharging for the F-14, as a California resident, I would have to pay nearly 10% in sales tax plus their price difference from Aikens and the shipping. Even with shipping, at Aikens I will still save nearly $30-$40 over the Badcat price and it sounds like I have nothing to worry about Aiken's service 8)

On a completely unrelated note, Shin, I recall how your signature used to say something like "Come on Hasbro, BBI 21c, PTE, give me an F-14..." Funny how that actually became a reality :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."