POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:40 pm

Corey,
The first time I called MTS about a month ago, Isiaih called me back within three days or so.

Theresa?, called me this weekend from MTS while me and my family was out stating that the Tomcats had shipped and they were confirming my card.

I think MTS is really trying to keep on top of all the preorders and doing the best they can. I've been happy thus far.

Blake

Pa Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Pa Deuce » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:42 pm

Yeah from the pics, at the stage of pad printing, I would assume all the weathering is done. They seemed to weather only a few major lateral panel lines - where on the paint master, while they did have spots all over, they were heavily muted with that gull gray color, and all the panel lines had some sort of weathering that seemed to connect with a lot of the spots. Not seeing weathering on all the lines here - and the spots do not seem muted enough...

a leopard is a cat too I guess
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z144/b_daddyj/F-14.gif[/img]

Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Sabrefan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:15 pm

Anyone have any idea how much the F-14 model will weigh? I wonder if that I can find that info somewhere?
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:42 pm

HMMMMM....

Anyone know what those black and yellow knob-looking things are in the fifth picture down???

Those wouldn't be pilot heads would they? :?:

http://www.merit-intl.com/month/11-5-09 ... 14/p18.jpg

Just curious

c44588
Corporal
Corporal

Post by c44588 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Well, I sure hope the spot issue isnt indicative of the quality of the paint job...it really looks pretty amateurish as compared to the earlier exhibition (read 'come on and place the order') version. I hope thats not the case....hard to tell with production shop pics.

And I thought I was only joking when I told an old 'hands-on' modeling friend that these complete 1/18th scale aircraft were being made by 12 year old Korean girls being held captive in dark basements by WalMart types in Western China! Thats how they could do it so cheap....

Those hands look awefully young! :shock:

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Wow! Looks like the pictures are gone now. Guess they dont want other people to see how bad the weathering is until after they open up the box :-( (and I preordered one :-( )

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:57 pm

CW4USARMY wrote:Wow! Looks like the pictures are gone now. Guess they dont want other people to see how bad the weathering is until after they open up the box :-( (and I preordered one :-( )
Wow, the pictures are gone, but the link I posted above still works.

And I sincerely hope I don't get a "Leopard Cat" as mine was pre-ordered also.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:03 pm

Go to Merit's website and you can still view the pictures plus they've added more:

http://www.merit-intl.com/month/vf-84%2 ... uction.htm
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:03 pm

and what the heck is going on with the nose cone???

http://www.merit-intl.com/month/11-5-09 ... 84/ap7.jpg

[EDIT] Birddog, you beat me to the punch! :wink:

Is this some sort of water-soluable wash (the spots) that they can brush out at a later stage in the production process? Followed with a coat of matte clear?

I can't see JSI letting something like this happen given this being such a huge and anticipated release. Maybe we're just being paranoid. Given that the finishing on the other JSI birds have been wonderful.

c44588
Corporal
Corporal

Post by c44588 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Well now...this sure seems to have taken a little of the shine off the ol' apple hasnt it? :( Sure puts a question in my mind as to what to expect now!

Hope all those entrepeneurs out there (read BC/MTS/AN, etc.) are managing the QC side of their business acquisitions on behalf of their customers....

And BTW, no wonder we, as a Nation, can't compete on the world economic stage....Can you imagine an OSHA inspector showing up unexpectedly at THAT shop!?! The nose cone assembly area alone has probably cost them several fingers!!! :shock: Doubles as the company dentist office....

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:22 pm

I'm not going to even start speculating what sort of paint job we're going to get with the F-14 until I get one in my hot little hands. Why worry when you don't have to yet? By the way, did anyone read in the BBI section of Meritts "News" page that they were still interested in doing 1/18. Interesting.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

c44588
Corporal
Corporal

Post by c44588 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:35 pm

Well, I guess i DO begin to worry when they call and say the old MC is being hit 'now that its shipped'....and the same moment the 'final' preshipping pics' of the Ol' SpotCat show up at the official website.

Just when are we supposed to begin to worry when we see pictures like these? How 'bout if they they show us pics at their official website showing all them little Korean girls painting the TomCats purple?

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:39 pm

Jericoeagle1 wrote:I'm not going to even start speculating what sort of paint job we're going to get with the F-14 until I get one in my hot little hands. Why worry when you don't have to yet? By the way, did anyone read in the BBI section of Meritts "News" page that they were still interested in doing 1/18. Interesting.
Unfortunately if this is the article you are talking about:

bbi plans continued growth for both the 1:18 and 1:6 scale categories into the future and identifies the need to ensure that our distribution network is well equipped and sufficiently flexible to manage this growth. A vital part of our success in the market is the participation and support of our valued retail customers and we are focused on servicing the needs of our customers to ensure our mutual success. Commencing April 1st, 2004 bbi has appointed Merit International as the exclusive distributor for the 1:6 Elite Force Collector and Cy Girl lines in the USA.

Development, manufacturing and the overall direction of the line will still be managed by bbi with Merit International acting on behalf of bbi (and Blue Box USA) in matters of orders, distribution and servicing of the Elite Force and Cy Girl lines for this market. Existing pricing, customer trading terms, conditions and discounts will be maintained.

bbi is confident that Merit is well equipped to service our existing customer needs and that as a more specialized operation, and one with considerable expertise in the 1:6 market, will be able to offer more flexibility when dealing with individual accounts. Merit International is well established in the 1:6 collector market and has considerable experience with customer and consumer needs and we look forward to their contribution to the marketing and growth of the Elite Force and Cy Girl brands.

Additionally, this arrangement releases resources from bbi to allow it to further concentrate on development of new products, the 1:18 scale and future directions.

We trust that our valued customers will welcome this direction by bbi as an effort to better focus on their needs as well as the advancement of the Elite Force brand, and we ask that you continue to support the brand through Merit International.

It's been on Merit's website news page for about two years now. I think bbi is pretty much out of the picture in 1/18 scale at the moment.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

c44588
Corporal
Corporal

Post by c44588 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:43 pm

Honestly, even though I gripe, I am a great fan of these models; my expectations are so high I guess as a direct result of the pre-sale pics and marketing of this thing, combined with the prior letdowns of other products so long awaited for....

JSI, just dont break my heart!

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:43 pm

I cant believe I'm spending over two hundred dollars for a flying Dalmation! :shock: (Please toy gods, if you are listening, dont let this be the final paint job,OK?)

P.S. you guys with painting skills will be OK. Just the rest of us will have polkadots! :wink:

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:46 pm

I'm just not trusting that the pictures are totally accurate, sometimes photos are a little misleading especially when lighting is concerned. Plus, the JSI planes already released look pretty good as far as paint jobs are concerned.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:32 pm

i like it.....it looks like german wwii night fighter camouflage. :lol:

I can't believe that is the final way they're going to look. Those must be pre-production samples or something. There is just no way a gaff like that could occur.....could it?

If so, JSI could have a fiasco on their hands. The first customer reports on these planes could be very interesting...

edit: upon closer inspection they appear to be spotted...heavily. This may go down in toy history. I wonder if JSI are freaking out right now.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:42 pm

First I am a bit surprised by the JSI "factory". Looks like a bunch of fellow in a garage more than a toy factory. Now I become worry about those grey spot. I cannot imagine they could do such a mess after showing a perfectly painted plane on show. If so then JSI story will end very soon. For $220 one can expect a well painted plane rather than that.

phil

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:32 am

OK i saw the post on the forum : http://forums.fighting118th.com/showthr ... 82&page=41

the post 409 says that you can order a special version with lighting in the cockpit + external !!!!!!

FOR 1600 US $ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

afetr seeing theses pics its seems true !

here is the lights of the cockpit !!! it seems awesome but at this price it's too much !!!!!!
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

JoeS
Corporal
Corporal

Post by JoeS » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:39 am

Staying with the custom theme- wonder if its possible for JSI to release the Tomcat as a kit, that way you can customize to your heart's content and choose the weathering that you fell befits an operational fighter...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:18 am

even the special edition tomcat has spots.

if my tomcat has spots i'm sending it back. I am not going to repaint a $200 + shipping aircraft.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

spots

Post by supersonicfifi » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:35 am

I think the polka dots on the parts are just a step in the weathering i allready saw this kind of technique during models exhibitions : once you put a finish above this dot and marking it gave some relief to the parts (like small shades) ... my 2 cents ... & hope :shock:
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:22 am

no comment
Last edited by thatf14guy on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:51 am

I think if anyone is concerned about the spots in the production photos, they should email Merit and ask them to get JSI to show a finished photo of a production model off the line. If there are some "on the way" then they have finished product that they could show to alleviate any concerns. If JSI is hesitant to show a picture of a production model then that speaks volumes.
Heres Merit's email:
[email protected]

If they are bombarded by people who have pre-orders that are concerned about these spots they may show us a finished product.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:59 am

no comment
Last edited by thatf14guy on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.