Bad Cat is Crazy

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
CrazyinTexas
Sergeant
Sergeant

Bad Cat is Crazy

Post by CrazyinTexas » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:41 pm

Wow Bad Cat wants all your money for the JSI Panther
http://www.badcataviation.com/pa1jsifcodue.html
but Merit's web page says it retails for $79.99
http://www.merit-intl.com/month/jsi-60009.htm
and Small Joes has it below list
http://smalljoes.com/cgi-bin/pgen.cgi?S ... m=JSI60009
and I have never had a problem at Small Joes. To bad it doesn't come with the side skirts like they show in the one picture from the toy fair :

bananapirate
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bananapirate » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:20 pm

Too bad there's still an empty space where the engine should be :x

MG-42
Officer - Brigadier General

[+] > New JSI Panther

Post by MG-42 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:35 pm

[+] > ... and too bad it doesn't come w/ zimmerit on it either ! :(

............ Oh , and the paint scheme is just too GARISH ! :P :lol: ... but I think the paint scheme is really cool though. :wink: 8)

- Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:51 pm

I like the paint scheme on the Panther, oddly enough, but still like the 21c S1 and S4 versions the best. I've got three Panther's already, so will probably skip on this one as well. The new halftrack models that JSI showed pictures of will be a must for certain, though.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

pickelhaube

Re: [+] > New JSI Panther

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:07 pm

MG-42 wrote:[+] > ... and too bad it doesn't come w/ zimmerit on it either ! :(

............ Oh , and the paint scheme is just too GARISH ! :P :lol: ... but I think the paint scheme is really cool though. :wink: 8)

- Mitch v MG
That is the crazy LATE WAR paint job.

It is correct NOT HAVING THE ZIM.

They stoped using it in 43 or 44.

That late war paint is 45.

Plus correct me if I am wrong but I do not think that they used the zim on any Panthers with when the chin manlet .

THIS IS A MUST HAVE FOR ME . I need at least 2 of them
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Bryce
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Bad Cat is Crazy

Post by Bryce » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:28 pm

and Small Joes has it below list
http://smalljoes.com/cgi-bin/pgen.cgi?S ... m=JSI60009
and I have never had a problem at Small Joes. To bad it doesn't come with the side skirts like they show in the one picture from the toy fair :

Image[/quote]

You better hope alot people dont want one...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:08 am

the application of zim was discontinued in sept 44, so anything built after that would not have it, like this end of war panther. From sept 43 to sept 44 zim would have been applied to all panthers.

Funky paint scheme for sure. The edges of the camo look masked. If correct as shown, makes me wonder why they'd take the time to mask and not just blob the paint on freehand?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

killoff
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by killoff » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:30 am

some of the price mark ups are a little high, but speaking of "high" what were the germans smoking at the end of the war to paint they're tanks like that ? :?

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:37 am

killoff wrote:some of the price mark ups are a little high, but speaking of "high" what were the germans smoking at the end of the war to paint they're tanks like that ? :?
They where smoking Unkraut
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:01 am

killoff wrote:some of the price mark ups are a little high, but speaking of "high" what were the germans smoking at the end of the war to paint they're tanks like that ? :?
Maybe the same stuff the folks that designed our Army ACU's were smoking... :?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:21 am

the dark red colour is primer. There wasn't time or paint availble to paint the entire vehicle so the just slapped on a bit of camo and sent it out to battle. Which is why i was wondering why the camo paint lines are so straight. Why would they mask so carefully?

Lots of tanks were just in primer only, no camo paint at all. Years ago they used to think that these tanks were painted dark grey again, like at the beginning of the war, because they looked dark in photos. But it was subsequently determined that they were in dark red primer.

CrazyinTexas
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by CrazyinTexas » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:40 am

Funny how the price changed for $94.99 to $74.99 over night.

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:19 am

There are photos of Panthers with a similar paint scheme but with much more tan and green and the lines are irregular. Captions say that a stencil was used by the crew to apply the paint, thus the straight edges. Aferg is correct about the lack of paint late in the war. At least thats what I have read, no photo evidence (see posts about Soviet quad 50). I'm still on your side on that matter Aferg.

Anyone repainting their Panthers should own the book "Panther" from Concords Armor at War Series. Excellant photos of some very unique cammo schemes applaied in the field by the Panther crews.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:59 am

late in the war German factories didnt paint the tanks. they needed to get to the front faster and they never knew which front so they primed them and then placed several gallons of various colored paints in the tanks for the crews to aply in the field. thats why the varied paint scheme near the end of the war. Many Me-262's went into battle whithout paint at all.
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:04 am

sorry i see aferg covered this before me. must have missed that post before i responded. My grandgather was in the 14th SS and talked many times about painting vehicles in the field. they would get pissed about being sent desert paint in Russia. sometimes they would use clay and mud to change the look of the paint they were given.
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:32 am

i'm sorry i don't believe that....it's eye witness hear say and carries no weight. I want photographic proof please.

:lol:

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:42 am

i dont understand? what carries no wieght?
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:46 am

Zimmerit was used from December 1943 to September 1944. The chinned mantlet was designed to prevent a shot trap under the mantlet and was introduced on the Later Panther G in September 1944. Later on in the war earlier mantlets were used when the 'chinned' mantlets ran out or until re-supplied.

This Panther shown here would not have had any zimm applied as it was a late Panther.

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:54 am

AMERICAN_GRENADIER wrote:i dont understand? what carries no wieght?
He's being facetious.
I Tan I Epi Tas

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:04 am

AG: i was just making a joke....a carry over from the thread on whether russian tanks towed artillery late in the war or not.

I was joking that what your grandfather said carried no weight because it was eye witness hear say and we need photographic evidence as proof that desert paint was sent to the russian front, because as we all know what the people that were there say is usually wrong or meaningless.

Just a dumb joke, is all..

:)

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:14 pm

hotrodrock wrote:There are photos of Panthers with a similar paint scheme but with much more tan and green and the lines are irregular. Captions say that a stencil was used by the crew to apply the paint, thus the straight edges. Aferg is correct about the lack of paint late in the war. At least thats what I have read, no photo evidence (see posts about Soviet quad 50). I'm still on your side on that matter Aferg.
At least when it comes to this particular subject, good thing you can read official wartime German OKH directives authorizing such paint schemes. :)

as photographic evidence? try searching for German propaganda videos about Frankfurt on the Oder. It can be quite enlightening. :)

Isn't it nice not just to speculate and only rely on hearsay?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:25 pm

i've actually seen part of that video before but didn't realize the colours of the panthers. The straight lines are really wierd to me, although they look more soft edged than JSI's version.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:55 pm

aferguson wrote::lol:

i've actually seen part of that video before but didn't realize the colours of the panthers. The straight lines are really wierd to me, although they look more soft edged than JSI's version.
The colors were an educated guess by many based on German directives plus those videos and some other pics that I will have to look up later.

There's another part of that propaganda video that shows a closeup of a Panther driving by. You can clearly see that it's a hard-edge camo scheme, especially when you can compare it to other assault guns in the video who clearly had a soft-edged camo scheme.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:17 pm

that hard edged camo is really odd to me. Why waste time and effort making it hard edged? Adds nothing to the camouflage ability of it. If it were some sort of urban camo then i could see hard edged being an advantage, to blend in better with the corners of buildings and the straight edged shadows found in urban places. But the colours on the panther were dark yellow and green...not of much use in an urban setting.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:50 pm

ok, im sorry i looked at it wrong. i get alot of crap from the otherside of the family who were in the Army and Marines in WWII. im a Marine vet (1st Gulf War)myself and belong to the local VFW but dont ever bring up my SS gramps to the other Vets. im sure you can understand why. as a WWII vet his stories were great especiallly coming from the other side. Times were really tough on those guys after the war.
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"