Huey UH-1D In 1/18 scale ( Stretched Huey )

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Huey UH-1D In 1/18 scale ( Stretched Huey )

Post by pickelhaube » Thu May 21, 2009 5:13 pm

Well I just got the 1/35 scale model. Thanks Razor.

Am glad I did the sides door are rounded. I thought that they were flat. That is what the model is used for to get that 3-D .perspetive

It looks like the engine mods can be made to snap on.

It looks like you are going to have to split the fuse in half to do this mod. That will probably be the only way to do the interior.

This may get started in about a week or so I really need to get on those flak guns. The first step is to seperate the fuse. If I get a few hrs to work on it this weekend I will post some pics of the seperation :wink:

Who is on board for this custom ?
Last edited by pickelhaube on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:51 pm

I am in for this one!
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

B-29
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by B-29 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:04 pm

Razor17019 wrote:I am in for this one!
Me too! Possibly for multiples..

cranedriver
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cranedriver » Thu May 21, 2009 7:52 pm

I am here as well!!
Is that you John Wayne, this is me!!

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Thu May 21, 2009 8:08 pm

I'm in too!!!
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:50 pm

I think I might have to jump on this wagon. I saw a NYPD Huey model today and I think a D Cop Helo would be great for my BBi Cops.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri May 22, 2009 1:17 pm

i'm interested but not crazy about having to hack a huey in half. Will leave nasty join lines that will be hard to conceal.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just make a shell of the whole front half of the huey d, which we then detail using the inards of the 21c huey plus scrounged parts.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri May 22, 2009 6:25 pm

aferguson wrote:i'm interested but not crazy about having to hack a huey in half. Will leave nasty join lines that will be hard to conceal.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just make a shell of the whole front half of the huey d, which we then detail using the inards of the 21c huey plus scrounged parts.
The way I was going to try and do it was to make two clam shells and graft them to the mother Huey. If I make 2 compleat halves this could be more modeler friendly but a little priceyer.

Modelers choice.

1. Cheaper more work for the modeler.

2. More expensive less work for the modeler.

Let me hear what you guys have to say.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri May 22, 2009 7:19 pm

can you give us an idea of the differences in price. I can't see that a method whereby you cut the 21c huey in half is gonig to result in a nice looking model in the end.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri May 22, 2009 8:30 pm

aferguson wrote:can you give us an idea of the differences in price. I can't see that a method whereby you cut the 21c huey in half is gonig to result in a nice looking model in the end.
Hard to say just yet.

However I make the sides is yet to be determind. I also have got to remake the small doors in front directly behind the cockpit with windows . Also I need to remake the floor, remake and replicate the quilted area surrounding engine bulk head. Redo the ceilling . Remake the side doors larger with double windows as well as the engine cowling. Also I need to make 2 small benches port and starboard sides. This custom is not just a stretch job.

Unless you guys just want me to do the exterior and forget about the interior.This will cut the job by half or if not a third.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat May 23, 2009 5:02 am

that's whay i meant when i said just make the body shell: Just do the exterior and leave it up to the modeller to worry about the interior.

You could offer seperate upgrade kits for the interior, for those who would like them, but all i really want is the exterior.

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Sat May 23, 2009 5:17 am

http://www.js-int.net/airscraft_60007.html

That info might make the choices easier for folks. Maybe, if it happens, anyway.
I Tan I Epi Tas

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Sun May 24, 2009 11:04 am

I would really be interested in knowing how you are going about working this conversion. I have pondered this same thing before scraping the idea after 2 attempts. Mainly problems I came up with was the fact that granded the D fuselage is shorter, only because the extra boom length is inset pushing the main rotor forward about 2 feet or 1 1/3 inches in scale. I think the only easy part to this is the length of the main rotor blades. Everything else is nearly a complete rebuild with only keeping the boom from the original 21st C and a few add ons here and there. I'm not trying to run you off on the project, I'm just interested in how you are planning and working it. I had a graveyard of Huey part from about 3 or 4 bird while I was trying this for myself. Also not knowing if anyone cares or not, but you might try for a UH-1H, as they had all the same arials and stuff like the C did. I just an idea. If you want to talk about your venture, drop me a pm, as I have much research on this and I could be of help. Best of luck on your project.

momaw nadon

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun May 24, 2009 11:42 am

Hey Phil,

I kind of know how I want to do this but believe me when I get started I will be getting in touch with you on the how too's. :D :D :D

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun May 24, 2009 12:34 pm

that's precisely why i think pH should make a whole new exterior shell that fits over the existing tail boom. We can use the guts from our 21c hueys to detail it plus whatever else we need to scrounge. The interior won't be that tough to do.

I think the basic conversion kit should just be the exterior body shell, that fits over the existing tail boom. We can use the 21c rotor and skids.....not 100% perfect but i won't lose any sleep over it. Upgrade kits featuring new rotor, skids and interior details can be offered seperately for those who want the full package. But i suspect many will be happy with just a new correct body shell. (me for one)

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:49 pm

I would be much in favor of a kit that converts the C to a D without major tearing up of the Huey. If something could be clamped to the outside would be great.
PH, maybe you could do a rough sketch of each ideal of the ideal of the route you are thinking of taking?

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Sun May 24, 2009 7:47 pm

I think if anyone doing this mod with or without a kit, they will have to tare into a Huey any way you look at it. I'm not sure about the cover or shell clamp add on thing, as you would need to cut much of the original Huey off yourself. Then you have the mistake fact that would play a big roll. Not to mention the filler to smooth out lines and stuff of that nature. I don't think the basic modeller could pull it off, as it sounds much like I started on my two attempts and never completed.

I would have to agree with aferguson here, only logical way is for a new fuselage. Interior is the easy part, in terms of customizing. Mainly only need a engine house with some add-on for were the 21st C interior lacks the length. All those are square flat surfaces.

I do see Razors point though too. Taking apart one of these Hueys is not a fun task. Windows are the most pain, as the way they were glued in and with. Many of these 21st C models were not to be disassembled :lol:, or they were trying to stop people from doing it :wink:. Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you PH, as whirly birds are my favorite.

momaw nadon

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun May 24, 2009 8:26 pm

momaw nadon wrote:I think if anyone doing this mod with or without a kit, they will have to tare into a Huey any way you look at it. I'm not sure about the cover or shell clamp add on thing, as you would need to cut much of the original Huey off yourself. Then you have the mistake fact that would play a big roll. Not to mention the filler to smooth out lines and stuff of that nature. I don't think the basic modeller could pull it off, as it sounds much like I started on my two attempts and never completed.

I would have to agree with aferguson here, only logical way is for a new fuselage. Interior is the easy part, in terms of customizing. Mainly only need a engine house with some add-on for were the 21st C interior lacks the length. All those are square flat surfaces.

I do see Razors point though too. Taking apart one of these Hueys is not a fun task. Windows are the most pain, as the way they were glued in and with. Many of these 21st C models were not to be disassembled :lol:, or they were trying to stop people from doing it :wink:. Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you PH, as whirly birds are my favorite.

momaw nadon
The point that you are brining up about getting the glass out to reuse is the reason that I am thinking of doing a graft rather than the whole fuse.

I will have to split the fuse no matter what I need to do . I will take pics of this so you guys will see what you are up against. The other option is to do some vacume glass. So all you will have to do is just split the fuse gut it and put it back together.

If I were to cast everything inside the cockpit , that would be a lot of work. That = $.

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Mon May 25, 2009 7:51 am

You wouldn't need to case everything in the cockpit. There were differences in there from the Gunships to the Ds, but 21st C didn't go all out there. Everything should be fine to reuse. I would only say what would be needed is a new floor that would be longer at the back, might need to be wider too, but not really sure on that. I haven't seen a C and D next to each other. If I ever get the chance, I'm going to messure it. Also need engine house, and maybe a few smaller benches for around the engine house. I don't think that would cost too much.

There really isn't much inside the 21st C Huey ether. I have wanted to add gun sights and that type of thing to my gunship. That might be a cool kit to do too.

momaw nadon

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:17 am

Pickelhaube,
What happened to this Huey project?
No interest?
Too costly?
What was the verdict on this one?

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:15 pm

Razor17019 wrote:Pickelhaube,
No interest?
Too costly?
It was kind of put on a wait and see holding pattern. It was said that JSI was going to make the Huey again .

There was a bunch of guys who were in then the Heuy's price sky rocketed and folks did not want to cut their Hueys up.

If there still is interest in this project let me know it will go on my to-do list.

Still not sure of price . But I would say about $150- $175 if I have to make the whole cab shell.

Again give me a show of hands for interest.

$50-$ 75 if I just do a rear piece that you can graft on to your Huey.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:08 pm

pickelhaube wrote:
Razor17019 wrote:Pickelhaube,
No interest?
Too costly?
It was kind of put on a wait and see holding pattern. It was said that JSI was going to make the Huey again .

There was a bunch of guys who were in then the Heuy's price sky rocketed and folks did not want to cut their Hueys up.

If there still is interest in this project let me know it will go on my to-do list.

Still not sure of price . But I would say about $150- $175 if I have to make the whole cab shell.

Again give me a show of hands for interest.

$50-$ 75 if I just do a rear piece that you can graft on to your Huey.

i am not a handy person so how about a mini gun set graph onto the side of the two pylon
whats up doc....

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:24 pm

i am in for a whole cab....i wouldn't want to cut up the cab and try to graft in a stretch piece.

Wait and make sure jsi does release the huey....but i'm definitely in at some point down the road. A huey d has been one of my long term desires.

pickelhaube

Re: Huey UH-1D In 1/18 scale

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:34 pm

I am dusting this post off.

Is it to early to get everybody's hopes up because of the new Merit announcement ?

:D