Thoughts on Customs

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Thoughts on Customs

Post by pickelhaube » Sat May 16, 2009 1:07 pm

I am between CIP pours and painting Pave stuff. I think that I am able to do a T-34 from the ground up. Maybe JSI will pick up the torch and make one who knows ? This would be a major project. Probably in the $300 range. Pouring this would take the better part of a day then you have the cost of the resin. There is a 1/16 Russian TD cast in resin already which sells for $350. So that is the price range. Who would be on board for that?

Was the 105 Howitzer the most widley used American arty ? Is there one that was more widly used? I have thought about doing an arty piece for a while now but it would be a lot of work.

When the 88 came out they had a price tag of $80 a lot of guys said that it was WAY TOO MUCH MONEY . Then the Monkey hit the fan now we all have 1, 2 or 3 of them :D

But would you guys have any idea what it would take to replicate that piece from scratch then mass produce it ? A lot more than $80.

I can do a 105 with crazy detail or I can do it real simple. The more intricate the more money. Simple equals cheaper.

As I have said before non of my custom would win any scale contest but they are real close. If I could do a 105 with moderate detail I would say that it will be in the $100 -$150 range. Would it be worth it ?

But of course this is all hypothetical. I have a lot on my plate already.

Comments welcome.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sat May 16, 2009 2:15 pm

I'd like to see a 105MM, maybe pop in on a M3 half-track. I don't get too hung up on scale differences, but since a 1/16th T34 can be had for about $150.00, a $300.00 in 1/18th might be a waste of your time.

I'd like to see support vehicles and equipment, like mortars, artillery ... items that won't cost too much, easy to make and won't break the bank. But more importantly, items that are not on the market right now.

Just my 2 cents worth. I think your mods have been a breath of fresh air so far.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat May 16, 2009 2:37 pm

My opinion would be to stick with the various mods made to existing models.

Your quad 20mm on the Panzer IV was great, even though the tank was hard to find.

You can make the entire tank but I don't think you can make your money back as quickly as making a 75mm to stick on an existing M-3 half track. Or something like a Nebelwerfer on a 251 half track, or any turret or even upper body on a existing tank..

How about a caliope rocket launcher on a Sherman? or any setup of "armor" on a Jeep?

My opinion, for what it is worth.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Pa Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Pa Deuce » Sat May 16, 2009 2:46 pm

I'm sorry, I wish I were into armor or heli's - maybe new ground for a continuing collection obsession :), but after seeing your previous work, whatever you decide will turn out excellent I'm sure - the Kanonenvogel mods were great
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z144/b_daddyj/F-14.gif[/img]

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Sat May 16, 2009 3:17 pm

I like the idea of the 105mm. It can be used as a stand alone display. Placed in the M3 halftrack or used in a M7 Priest mod. I believe the 105mm was unchanged up to at least Vietnam era so could be used with the Vietnam figures too.

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Sat May 16, 2009 3:21 pm

I think the 105mm would be the best thing to do. It would have the most use.
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img4e]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5694/userbar650558jb9.gif[/img4e][/url]

GOOD TRADE CONTACTS:
Coreyeagle48
migmadmavis
The one and only RAZOR17019
Rowsdower
Grunt1
Holensock
Blasto
tambo

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat May 16, 2009 7:02 pm

Pa Deuce wrote:I'm sorry, I wish I were into armor or heli's - maybe new ground for a continuing collection obsession :), but after seeing your previous work, whatever you decide will turn out excellent I'm sure - the Kanonenvogel mods were great
I have done a few plane projects in the past. I am just taking a break from them. :wink:

Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm

there already is a simple 105mm howitzer available in the form of the GI joe mountain howitzer. It's real simple and needs work to make it presentable but it can be done. You can get them on ebay for <$10. However i'm sure many guys would prefer a proper one from pH but whether they'd be willing to fork out the money remains to be seen. No doubt some would.

I'd find it tough to pay $300 for any tank. Not that it wouldn't be worth the money, just that it's not worth that kind of money to me. Most i'd go on a T-34 is probably $150. I love armour and tanks but i still am first and foremost an airplane guy. I'd pay alot more for a 1/18 Betty or Ju-88G nightfigher, for example....eg $750.

I'd love a german 105 or sFH18 or a russian 203mm but i know they'd cost a fortune. I made the PTE howitzer into a reasonable Long Tom (by the way 21c had planned to do a Long Tom after the 88) and another one into a decent US 8 inch howitzer. I could probably make one into a russian 203mm howitzer but the trail is a b*tch.

Anyway, just keep doin what you're doin, pH. You're cranking out great stuff and we have lots of time...
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Sat May 16, 2009 8:46 pm

A T-34/85 WOULD BE GREAT,its been around in every war since WWII,every 21 st century 1/18 American tank ,truck ,jeep can be used by the Russians,GI JOE CRIMSON GRUARD has a WWII russian rifle.