This ebuyer definitely makes makes way more money than I do

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

This ebuyer definitely makes makes way more money than I do

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:49 am

Oh my gosh!

This has got to set the record for the highest paid amount for an XD plane or vehicle, anything:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0367648924

$914 for a RAAF Hornet!!

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: This ebuyer definitely makes makes way more money than I

Post by Airacobra » Mon May 11, 2009 4:52 am

Black Lion VF-213 wrote:Oh my gosh!

This has got to set the record for the highest paid amount for an XD plane or vehicle, anything:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0367648924

$914 for a RAAF Hornet!!

But he saved some money because of the free shipping. :lol:

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Mon May 11, 2009 5:15 am

You know what they say about a fool and his money. I have spent some fair amount of money on Tamiya R/C tanks, but there is substantial quality there that could be arguable on the price with a few people.

But there is no 1/18th ANYTHING that is worth that kind of money.

Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:24 am

Over 900.00 dollars!!! :shock: :shock:
Gee, I got some XD items I need to show to this buyer...
"Okay, this very RARE halftrack is only a mere 700.00, but I will do free shipping!"
Gee whiz, that is some sort of crime...
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Mon May 11, 2009 5:34 am

i've got a super rare sky capitain P 40 for 1500 US $ !
Or a flight of MUSTANG & CORSAIR for 999 each !

Free shipping too !

Global buisness is GOOD :lol:
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon May 11, 2009 5:44 am

Panther F wrote:You know what they say about a fool and his money. I have spent some fair amount of money on Tamiya R/C tanks, but there is substantial quality there that could be arguable on the price with a few people.

You must have never seen HPH models (SEE LINK BELOW). If I had $3K-$5K to spend on one of these the quality is worth it. Of course, a large portion of them are metal. I wouldn't pay $900 for a plastic semi-accurate 1/18 anything either, but there are 1/18 models out there worth more than $900.

http://www.hph.cz/
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon May 11, 2009 6:30 am

Does anyone remember the time I sold my Pappy Corsair for over $500?
It’s crazy what people will do sometimes. I think I had a starting price of $50 or so.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Mon May 11, 2009 6:34 am

thats crazy!
the sad part is i had one of those and i gave it to my nephew
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Mon May 11, 2009 6:47 am

pcoughran wrote: You must have never seen HPH models (SEE LINK BELOW). If I had $3K-$5K to spend on one of these the quality is worth it. Of course, a large portion of them are metal. I wouldn't pay $900 for a plastic semi-accurate 1/18 anything either, but there are 1/18 models out there worth more than $900.

Yeah, I did mean plastic ... and even that can be argued too. I might pay more money for a big bomber that's detailed, but not anything that's currently being offered.

I just wonder if the transaction actually went through.

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Mon May 11, 2009 6:50 am

It's all relative. To the guy that bought it, $914 might seem like $9.14 does to me.

Life ain't fair ... but there it is ...

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Mon May 11, 2009 6:57 am

pcoughran wrote:
Panther F wrote:You know what they say about a fool and his money. I have spent some fair amount of money on Tamiya R/C tanks, but there is substantial quality there that could be arguable on the price with a few people.

You must have never seen HPH models (SEE LINK BELOW). If I had $3K-$5K to spend on one of these the quality is worth it. Of course, a large portion of them are metal. I wouldn't pay $900 for a plastic semi-accurate 1/18 anything either, but there are 1/18 models out there worth more than $900.

I see where you're coming from but I have to disagree, even in regards to HPH models. 3 to 5K for a 1/18 scale display model makes very little sense to me, but to each their own. I could buy a 1/4 scale R/C P-47 from the link below and have it finished and flying for that kind of money. That's just my opinion though, and if people feel there is value in buying 1/18 scale display pieces for those prices, have fun.

http://www.mnbigbirds.com/P47%20Kit%20Page.htm

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Mon May 11, 2009 7:33 am

i want to sell to him :lol:

free shipping
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Mon May 11, 2009 7:51 am

gburch wrote:It's all relative. To the guy that bought it, $914 might seem like $9.14 does to me.

Exactly. Been there, done that. 8)

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Mon May 11, 2009 8:44 am

gburch wrote:It's all relative. To the guy that bought it, $914 might seem like $9.14 does to me.

Yeah, there are people who can afford to pay $400+ to fly in a B-17 for 30 minutes. I can't.

usmcchet9296
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by usmcchet9296 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:59 am

If he paid 914 there must have been others that were willing to pay close to that.
USMC CHET
John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Mon May 11, 2009 9:20 am

skypirate wrote:

Yeah, there are people who can afford to pay $400+ to fly in a B-17 for 30 minutes. I can't.
I actually got to fly for an hour in a B-17 for free. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good ...

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Mon May 11, 2009 10:14 am

gburch wrote:
skypirate wrote: Yeah, there are people who can afford to pay $400+ to fly in a B-17 for 30 minutes. I can't.
I actually got to fly for an hour in a B-17 for free. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good ...
Two questions.

What dollar price would you personally put on such a flight (you can PM me)?

Can you teach me how to be lucky? Riding in a B-17 for free would be great.
Last edited by skypirate on Mon May 11, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:02 pm

According to Mega Modelmart down under who commissioned the RAAF Hornets and Mustangs only 250 of each were produced therefore it's collectible, pure mother nature. Is it worth it? To some but not to all. To say as point of fact that it's not is purely ones opinion and not the precedent for the rest of the collectors out there. I know one of the bidders and he is by far a fool or gulible by any means (& no I wasn't one of them). Apparantly it was worth it to at least 3 people, only takes one to get a sale. I wouldn't give close to what a plasma tv goes for, I'm sure several here would. I'd take the resale of a RAAF Hornet over the resale of a plasma tv anyday. :lol:

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Mon May 11, 2009 1:10 pm

skypirate wrote:
gburch wrote: I actually got to fly for an hour in a B-17 for free. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good ...
Two questions.

What dollar price would you personally put on such a flight (you can PM me)?

Can you teach me how to be lucky?
Two very tough questions. I've been around planes and flying all my life and had the chance to fly in some pretty cool birds. So the "uniqueness" of the experience has to be measured against that. I might pay a couple of hundred bucks to fly in, say a B-24 -- which is something I haven't done. But if I'd never flown in a warbird at all, I might pay more. Virgin experiences seem to be worth more.

As for the second question ... I consider myself VERY lucky -- and I "use" that luck. but the truth is that being in the right place at the right time with the right skills and the right people ... may not be "luck" at all, but just being persistent about trying to get what I want without pissing off too many people in the process.

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Mon May 11, 2009 1:28 pm

vmf214 wrote:According to Mega Modelmart down under who commissioned the RAAF Hornets and Mustangs only 250 of each were produced therefore it's collectible, pure mother nature. Is it worth it? To some but not to all. To say as point of fact that it's not is purely ones opinion and not the precedent for the rest of the collectors out there. I know one of the bidders and he is by far a fool or gulible by any means (& no I wasn't one of them). Apparantly it was worth it to at least 3 people, only takes one to get a sale. I wouldn't give close to what a plasma tv goes for, I'm sure several here would. I'd take the resale of a RAAF Hornet over the resale of a plasma tv anyday. :lol:
I have one, if I recall rightly they go for around AU$200+ to buy and can you still see them now and then at specilist retailers, the production numbers are possibly low due to the small local market but seeing that I've seen them all over the place I'm not sure if they were that limited and there was nothing like number X of 250 indicated with mine when I bought it.

If I could get that kind of money for mine I'd sell it and get myself a US one and repaint in in RAAF markings myself and still have plenty of cash to spare.
Last edited by Spudkopf on Tue May 12, 2009 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:29 pm

Here's the original ad from MIB Global for the 20CU version. Mega Modelmart on ebay specifically noted only 250 of each. Don't know if it's true only know what was listed. I bought both the Mustangs from them on ebay and snoozed on the Hornets.

http://www.mibglobal.com.au/prod4241.htm

snake

Post by snake » Mon May 11, 2009 7:39 pm

Well I am the buyer of the RAAF F-18 that everybody seems to be talking about.
Frankly,I am dissapointed with some of the comments directed at me on this post.
"A fool and his money","$1500 Sky Captain P-40" etc.
This is the rarest BBI F-18 of them all.Twice as rare as the Blue Angels version,which regularly sells for $600+.Nobody seems to have a problem with that.Perhaps because that is a US plane.
This is the first time that I have seen this version available for sale.It will look great beside my other RAAF F-18 version.
Was it expensive?Yes,very.Is it extremely rare,and very collectable?Yes.
I decided to buy it,as soon as it was made available for sale.Who knows when another one of this version would come along.It has been over two years and this was the first one that I came across.
Two other bidders were extremely interested in buying this model.I did not pay a crazy Buy It Now price.If I wanted to add this to my collection,I had to outbid the other two buyers.
Yes it was expensive,but now it is mine.And I am very happy with my purchase.
As for the comments,these members do not seem to understand the rarity of this model.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Mon May 11, 2009 7:54 pm

snake wrote:Well I am the buyer of the RAAF F-18 that everybody seems to be talking about.
Frankly,I am dissapointed with some of the comments directed at me on this post.
"A fool and his money","$1500 Sky Captain P-40" etc.
This is the rarest BBI F-18 of them all.Twice as rare as the Blue Angels version,which regularly sells for $600+.Nobody seems to have a problem with that.Perhaps because that is a US plane.
This is the first time that I have seen this version available for sale.It will look great beside my other RAAF F-18 version.
Was it expensive?Yes,very.Is it extremely rare,and very collectable?Yes.
I decided to buy it,as soon as it was made available for sale.Who knows when another one of this version would come along.It has been over two years and this was the first one that I came across.
Two other bidders were extremely interested in buying this model.I did not pay a crazy Buy It Now price.If I wanted to add this to my collection,I had to outbid the other two buyers.
Yes it was expensive,but now it is mine.And I am very happy with my purchase.
As for the comments,these members do not seem to understand the rarity of this model.
First of all let me congratulate you on your score, I'm sure you will treasure it.

Second, I'm sure the comments made here (especially mine) were not made to be interpreted as a personal attack. It's just not everyday you see someone lay down that amount of money for an item like that. I get criticized all the time for the amount of cash I spend on my 1/16th R/C Tamiya tanks, so please think of all of this as just random thoughts.

Are you going to display it or leave it in the box?

Jeff

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:58 pm

Ballsy move snake, kudo's! :D

beep beep beep

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Tue May 12, 2009 1:35 am

G'day Snake

Next time you're after one of the an Australian release, give me a bell (PM) first and I'll see if I can track one down for you here locally. The FA-18’s high asking price down here (like most 1/18) makes them quite slow movers.

I'm pretty sure that one of the vendors at the recent by-annual international air show still had one of these on display and even with post factored in I'm sure we'd be able to save you some money.

Stateside (and Canadian) members have often helped me out and I'm glad to help out in the same way when able.

Seeing your not shy to pay for what you want I think you’d fit in down here quite well. as us Aussies are quite used to paying highly inflated prices to get our 1/18th scale hits, I paid AU$32 (item plus postage) to pick up one FOV German the other day so I understand where you’re coming from.
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????