New to the site, and a Red 3 190 question.

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

New to the site, and a Red 3 190 question.

Post by Ta-152 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:31 pm

Hello all, this is my formal introduction.

I don't do much 3 3/4 collecting anymore, but i can't resist a good 1:18 vehicle every now and again.

Now to my question.

What are the markings on the Red 3's fuselage supposed to say? As it is it's gibberish about the national highway. I always assumed it was supposed to be something about Defense of the Reich.
I Tan I Epi Tas

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:46 pm

Welcome to the board! We collectors have alot of fun around here discussing and complaining and gloating when we find something new! Careful - this hobby is quite addictive.

The "nose art" on the FW-190 is correct. I saw a translation of it once, and if I recall correctly, it says something on order Im Luftrage Der Reichsbahn, which is supposed to mean "Compliments of the State Railway." It is a reference to the fact that the German railroad provided free transport for downed German pilots to get them back to their bases.

Here's one more piece of trivia about the XD "Red 3" FW-190 - did you know that the ring on the control stick in the cockpit is actually the loop-antenna and is supposed to be affixed on the underside of the fuselage in a slot just behind the cockpit?

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:56 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Welcome to the board! We collectors have alot of fun around here discussing and complaining and gloating when we find something new! Careful - this hobby is quite addictive.

The "nose art" on the FW-190 is correct. I saw a translation of it once, and if I recall correctly, it says something on order Im Luftrage Der Reichsbahn, which is supposed to mean "Compliments of the State Railway." It is a reference to the fact that the German railroad provided free transport for downed German pilots to get them back to their bases.

Here's one more piece of trivia about the XD "Red 3" FW-190 - did you know that the ring on the control stick in the cockpit is actually the loop-antenna and is supposed to be affixed on the underside of the fuselage in a slot just behind the cockpit?
Hehehehehe.... I thought it was a derisive statement in the fact that the railroads felt that they weren't being defended enough.

Welcome to the board Ta-152. Looking forward to your participation.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

digger

RR

Post by digger » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:06 pm

Oh. :( I thought it was b/c they were supplied by RR. :oops:

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:06 pm

I don't remember the web site this came from, but I looked up the slogans for this unit before and found this. I love people with a great sense of humor-provided it is true.

"While there is no record of these aircraft ever entering combat against Allied fighters, they - like everything involving JV-44 - have become the subject of enduring interest by modelers around the world (the recent release of the new Hasegawa 1/32-scale Fw-190D-9, with two of the three options in the kit decals being aricraft from this unit, demonstrates their appeal). The unit had a sense of humor, since each aircraft had an amusing "dark humor" slogan on it. At present, four aircraft have been photographically documented: "Red 1," a Fw-190D-9 carrying the slogan "Verkaafts mei Gwand 'I foahr in Himmel" ("Sell my clothes, I'm going to heaven") flown by Staffel Kapitaen Sachsenberg; "Red 3," a Fw-190D-9: "Im Auftrage der Reichsbahn" ("By Order of the State Railway") a reference to the fact a shot-down pilot could travel free on the state railways to rejoin his unit; Red 4, a Fw-190D-11: "Der nachste Herr,deselbe Dame!" ("The next man, the same woman"); and "Red 13," a Fw-190D-9: "Rein muss er wen wir beide weinen" ("In he goes and then we both cry")."

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:09 pm

Ah, So that's what it means. I like it!

I didn't know about the antenna till today while surfing the forums. 21st has left of antennas and such before, so i didn't give it a second thought! :oops:

Any one figured out how to run a line between the tail antenna and the canopy? I did it on my stuka and like the way it looks.
I Tan I Epi Tas

gustav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gustav » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:10 pm

I read somewhere that "Compliments of the state railway" was a lightly veiled complaint by the pilot about figther planes being forced to undertake ground attack, i.e., jabo missions.

I guess good old Waldemer thought only trains and bombers were made to carry bombs and accordingly voiced his disatisfaction through the message equating his fw with a train car.

What a smart @ss!

Bruzzer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bruzzer » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:26 pm

Here's more info, a link to a JV 44 site
http://home.att.net/~JV44/jv44wurger.htm
:)

digger

Red 3

Post by digger » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:41 pm

"complaint by the pilot about figther planes being forced to undertake ground attack"
- The four mentioned 190s were part of Galland's circus and their role was to defend the 262s during vulnerable take-offs and landings. No ground attack for them....
It would be sweet if they came out with Galland's 262 - then we really could fly two planes of from the same side together and still have it be accurate :P

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Red 3

Post by Teamski » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:59 pm

digger wrote:"complaint by the pilot about figther planes being forced to undertake ground attack"
- The four mentioned 190s were part of Galland's circus and their role was to defend the 262s during vulnerable take-offs and landings. No ground attack for them....
It would be sweet if they came out with Galland's 262 - then we really could fly two planes of from the same side together and still have it be accurate :P
This could create an awesome aerial diorama..... a 262 on one side of the room coming in for a landing with a P-47 behind him on the other side of the room (like the loss of Nowotny) with Red 3 swinging in behind the P-47.

Add that to the following aerial dioroma possiblilities:

A pair of Galland 109s being jumped by a pair of DWK Spitfires

A Spiftire slicing through a flight of 3 Stukas.

An inverted 109G diving after a bbi P-51.....

The list goes on........... I think it would look cool as hell to to do something like that. Pull all of my aircraft off the ceiling and store them away except for the diorama planes. Switch up the battle scenes from time-to time......

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:43 pm

I have an NKK Spitfire chasing a Stuka on the ceiling in my room at home.

Yes, the NKK Spit is post Battle of Brittain, and the S1 Stuka never existed, but it still looks cool!