i love my stuff..

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

i love my stuff..

Post by aferguson » Thu May 07, 2009 1:13 pm

sometimes in the snarling over customs, frustration with lack of variety, caught up in worries about prices going up and availability going down, space concerns etc etc i lose sight of just how great this hobby is.

I was just sitting back, looking at all the wonderful 1/18 toys i've collected over the years and appreciating how lucky i've been.

i love my stuff..

:)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu May 07, 2009 3:25 pm

I couldn't agree more :D With the slowdown in the hobby, I've had time to sit back and take a look at what I have. It is all really, really cool.

That fact that 21c was even producing such items is rather amazing and the past 10 years have been sort of a magical time, in this sense. Seeing shelves at TRU, Wal Mart, and the small retailers filled with accurate 1:18 scale models of warplanes and tanks is something not likely to be repeated again for some time, if ever.

I'm glad that I got into collecting these items when I did right in the beginning as I've been able to enjoy collecting each piece as it came out, and also take my time selecting a repaint or two. It sort of stinks that new collectors will not have this luxury and have to literally scrounge down the few remaining items for inflated prices...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu May 07, 2009 4:25 pm

yea you never seam to know how much you really have till you run out of money or mom says give it a break for awhile :evil: then sit back and look at all the stuff you have............

AHH YEA MY MD ORDER ARRIVED :mrgreen:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Thu May 07, 2009 5:07 pm

I have to agree with you guys. Glad I started buying when 21st started the 1/18 line. But I was already buying their 1/6 stuff. I never collected the small G.I. Joe or Star Wars stuff. I like the 1/18 scale because it was a bit bulkier than the 1/24 or smaller models. Easier for these old eyes to see small details and more of them than in 1/6. I bought what I liked and bought more of what I really, really liked. So now that things have slowed down I look back at what I have bought.............Oh crap, there must have been someting wrong with me. I must have really, really liked every armour piece they made. I have dug up numerous hidden stashes of things I have bought over the years. I have found paper boxes full of MIP XD troops. At least triples of the buildings/fountain and no less than 4-5 of each vehicle. More than enough Shermans to make Patton happy and I really, really, really loved the US Halftrack, 20+ total in all the different variations.
I didn't try to horde these, but evidently I couldn't pass up a deal. I only have a few aircraft due to the size. I have also found numerous 1/32 vehicles and I don't even collect them, but they didn't have them in 1/18 so I had to have an example.

Where else could you buy a model already assembled and painted for those original prices? I will miss the hunt but now is the time to enjoy the rewards. Now, what happend to all those 1/6 boxed figures I purchased before this addiction?
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

olifant

Post by olifant » Thu May 07, 2009 5:10 pm

I have been opening the occasional stashed item every week or so to keep me happy. Each time I do I feel like I rediscover XD again. Thank God for all those old sales! Thankfully MD will keep me in extras for some time to come!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Thu May 07, 2009 5:20 pm

I treasure my 1:18 military collection the way my wife cares for her jewelry. Perhaps more so!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu May 07, 2009 5:26 pm

If I had a chance to display and play with my stuff I would enjoy it more. :?

Most of my stuff has never been pulled out of ther boxes to actually know what they even look like.

Oh well such is life in the XD world.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu May 07, 2009 5:55 pm

Tinman wrote:I treasure my 1:18 military collection the way my wife cares for her jewelry. Perhaps more so!
I thought you where about to say more than my wife :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Im not married so its taken the place of a "wife" spot :lol: :wink:
--Samuel Beckett

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu May 07, 2009 5:56 pm

pickelhaube wrote:If I had a chance to display and play with my stuff I would enjoy it more. :?

Most of my stuff has never been pulled out of ther boxes to actually know what they even look like.

Oh well such is life in the XD world.
WELL damet invite me over and lets start with the box cutters. :wink:
--Samuel Beckett

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:43 pm

I'm very happy to have the 1/18th collection I've accumulated and looking forward to the day when I can add more items to the mix. :D

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu May 07, 2009 11:00 pm

immeww2 wrote:I'm very happy to have the 1/18th collection I've accumulated and looking forward to the day when I can add more items to the mix. :D
ME 2 but my room is starting to groan.
AHH SHUT UP ROOM HAVE SOMe TUMS AND EAT MORE . :lol: :wink:
--Samuel Beckett

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:44 am

We seem to often take our beloved hobby for granted at times, but I agree with all on this matter. I too, love this stuff more than I can express. :lol: I AM an XD-aholic.
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Fri May 08, 2009 4:49 am

I love my stuff too but it's every man (or boy) for himself for it's he who dies with the most toys, WINS!!!!

So snarl on and keep scratching and fighting for them! :P

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Fri May 08, 2009 10:30 am

It's so cool that between bbi, FOV, and 21C, I can set up scenes in ancient Roman times, Medieval, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and present day.

CanberraPaul
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: i love my stuff..

Post by CanberraPaul » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:46 pm

I have to agree with Aferg that this is a brilliant hobby and I also have become heavily addicted to it over the last 3 years(I was a late comer to 1/18). Between the factory versions and Jnewboy's and the Woofers customs I have I am constantly amazed by them and I find myself looking at my models sometimes for long periods of time.

We have Merit releasing more 1/18 this year and with Pickel and Grunt producing all their fantastic creations all bodes well for the future of 1/18 of which I am so glad.

I love my stuff too.

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: i love my stuff..

Post by skypirate » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:04 am

I feel fortunate to live in a period where items of this quality are/were available and affordable.