Repairing 21c Messerschmitt Pilots

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Repairing 21c Messerschmitt Pilots

Post by MCalamari » Sun May 03, 2009 10:29 pm

Hello,

I've opened 4 21c Messerschmitt Pilots, 3 of which have had serious issues with "frozen" articulation.

2 of my pilots broke at the waist. I was wondering if anybody has a clever way to repair them while still keeping the waist as a free point of articulation.

I was thinking I might be able to find a small machine screw and glue one end, allowing the other to give some mobility ... but I'm afraid it might not work.

Any thoughts? :)

Tinman
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Tinman » Mon May 04, 2009 8:58 am

I don't know how you can fix them once they're broken, but for future, if any of the articulation seems stuck then don't push it. Instead, soak the figure in nearly-boiling hot water for a few minutes, then try moving the stuck parts again. You may have to do this every time you want to pose the figure.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:25 am

You may be able to drill a small hole into the torso of the figure and into the bottom half of the figure connecting them both up with a small dowel rod or tubing of some sort or piece of plastic frame model parts come attached to works.
Remember not to make the holes too big or the connector piece will fall out.
Hope this helps.
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

B-29
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by B-29 » Mon May 04, 2009 5:57 pm

I have had the same problem and articulation can be restored. First extract the remains of the old peg. Use a hooked awl (a strong dental pick type thing) todo this. Then find some small screws. The head of one of the screws will hopefully fit in the hole where the peg was. Drill a new hole in the part the peg was attached to, in your case, the part between both legs. Make sure the hole size corresponds the screw size. Use the head like a new peg end and squeeze it into the torso. Then add a little glue to screw end and insert the remain showing part into the hole you drilled. After the glue is dry, the joint should work. Hope this helps..

ExC17load
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ExC17load » Tue May 05, 2009 3:32 am

My series 1 pilot lost the lower right leg many years ago over southern England tangling with a Spit. I never felt it was right to try and repair. His flying ability hasnt been impacted!
"I can stop collecting 1:18 scale anytime, really I can. OOoh, the new Stuka re-paint! I don't have that one.

Sentinel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sentinel » Tue May 05, 2009 3:48 am

Currently, all of mine have 9 lives - courtesy of MD - @ $2.50 per.

zsergio1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by zsergio1 » Tue May 05, 2009 4:10 am

I always use a small portion of olive oil applied in the stuck area with excellent results.
Treat others just like you would like to be treated.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue May 05, 2009 5:37 am

ExC17load wrote:My series 1 pilot lost the lower right leg many years ago over southern England tangling with a Spit. I never felt it was right to try and repair. His flying ability hasnt been impacted!
LOL :lol:

I have cut a few of the fugly faces off and replaced them with others. Now Fritz can pick up the Frauleins with out being rejected.

I to have had problems with stuck and broken legs. I just super glue them back on in a fixed position.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue May 05, 2009 9:01 am

zsergio1 wrote:I always use a small portion of olive oil applied in the stuck area with excellent results.

Good idea - I should try that!

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Tue May 05, 2009 8:33 pm

zsergio1 wrote:I always use a small portion of olive oil applied in the stuck area with excellent results.
I'll try adding oil, though I may give Lionel train oil a crack first to see what happens. :)

I appreciate all the feedback and think I'm gonna try the screw idea where I can use the head of the screw as the new pin in a cleaned out socket.

And yes, I know I can buy more pilots, but I kinda like repairing old toys.