Skyworks Toys 1:18 Hurricane

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by donnieboy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:03 pm

I hope I don't sound like a shill for Skyworks Toys in that I've made several positive posts about this one-man company, but I gotta tell you guys-I just got my Hawker Hurricane from Skyworks Toys and it is truly a thing of beauty. The overall form and shape of this piece are perfect, as far as I can tell. The ribbing on the fuselage is very accurate, as are the engraved panel lines. The plane comes with a small parts bag containing the landing gear struts and radio mast. These are easily snapped into place. The two-piece canopy is very well masked and framed and fits nicely. The radiator scoop is spot-on, as is the propeller spinner. The underwing ejection slots for the .30 cal machine guns are all there and stained with gunpowder. The wings have nice big crystal clear landing lights, and the engine exhaust stacks are accurate also.
Unfortunately, I still don't have a digital camera to back up my effusive encomiums, but if you go to Military Toyshop's website or that of Skyworks Toy, several Hurricanes are depicted (I have Douglas Bader's version from the Battle of Britain). In summary, I truly believe that Jack Plonka has produced a veritable masterpiece with his Hawker Hurricane model. The price for this beauty is $550 ( I think), but those of us waiting for the return of $39 XD warbirds to the shelves of big box retailers are going to have a very, very, long, long wait, IMHO.
Donnieboy over and out! :shock:
Go Starbuck!

gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gliderdwm » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:25 am

Hello Donnieboy.
I have been thinking about ordering the Bader Hurricane so I went for another look and the price is $725.00. I thought this was cheaper before. This is getting a bit too much.

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:36 am

This thread is worthless without pics... :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:41 am

truedat...

encomiums, my ass, borrow a digital camera or find any kid older than 5 years old and use his/hers cellphone!!!!!!

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:29 am

This thread is worthless without pics...
But it's also a blessing to those of us who could never afford to buy one anyway.

Pictures would just be cruel. :shock:

Jeffrey
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:35 am

Grilledcheese wrote:
This thread is worthless without pics...
But it's also a blessing to those of us who could never afford to buy one anyway.

Pictures would just be cruel. :shock:

Jeffrey

YEA :cry: :roll:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:46 am

I s'pose.

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by donnieboy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:30 pm

Sheesh guys: Don't jump down my throat just cause I don't own a freakin' digital camera!
I'm just an old peepaw (Southern for Grandpappy)-you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I grew up in the Middle Ages, when all we had was the camera obscura (look it up).
But seriously, if you go to Skyworks Toys or The Military Toyshops' websites, you'll find plenty of actual photos of the Skyworks Hurricane-what you see is what you get.
I do apologize for the price quote. Last I checked, the price for a Skyworks Hurricane was $550. I was unaware it had risen to $750. Hmm, I wonder what ole Jack P. charged me. :? Donnieboy
Go Starbuck!

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by donnieboy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:59 pm

I went back and checked the Skyworks Toys website. Jack has several photos of his Douglas Bader 1:18 Hurricane (SW-H001), the one with the code letters L E D on the side. For what it's worth, my S T Hurricane is identical in all respects to the one depicted. Hope this helps. BTW, I do intend to trade in my 1914 Kodak Brownie camera for a Nikon Coolpix ASAP-if I can just find a five-year old to show me how to use it! Sincerely yours,a technically challenged Donnieboy. BTW, I checked the price of the S T Hurricane-it is indeed $725-my bad! However, Jack's upcoming Spitfire XIV is $550.
Go Starbuck!