New collector -- price questions

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

New collector -- price questions

Post by gburch » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:28 am

I just got bit with the 1:18 bug -- apparently just in time for 21C to bite the dust and, presumably, for prices to begin to skyrocket ...

I see the prohibition for new members to post in the buy/sell/trade section, which I understand, but which is frustrating because there are a couple of items I'm particularly interested in acquiring.

One specific plane I'm lusting after is the P-38. It looks like etailer prices are in the neighborhood of $200. Question: Is the consensus that this is a fair price given how long ago this bird went out of production?

Also, I'd be particularly interested in the question of whether 21C's production tooling might end up in other hands so that we might see some of their products in new production again.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:36 am

From the prices I'm seeing on Ebay, the P-38, I would say 150-200 ballpark. It's weird, I saw a NIB Cal Cutie go for $81 last week :shock:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:16 am

i expect the next few months will be a good time to grab things for less than normal, as people who have lost interest in the hobby dump their collections or need the cash. Also, fewer people will have money to spend on this hobby which should drive prices down. Lots of buying opportunities during a recession....and this hobby should be no exception.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:15 am

One specific plane I'm lusting after is the P-38. It looks like etailer prices are in the neighborhood of $200
I personally would never pay that much for one, and if you are patient and keep a sharp eye out at ebay I believe you can get one for considerably less than that. I don't collect 1/18 planes, but frankly I don't think these are all that scarce, there are over a half dozen of em' including "BIN" and auctions up at ebay right now, and if you bide your time and don't get to anxious I'm pretty certain you can bring one home for far less than $200. If I was gonna go after one myself, I would set an absolute maximum price I was willing to pay, and then try to "snipe" an auction in the last 30 seconds and hope for the best, this method has worked out very well for me in the past when I was after specific items, the worst that can happen is someone will beat you out, and you try again another day. 8) Good luck.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gliderdwm » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:55 am

Hello to everyone here. I am new to this forum but have been collecting 1/18 for years- mostly aircraft. I have more 1/6 so I hang out at 1/6 division for years. It seems with the economy you can get good deals but yesterday I was tracking a P-47 on ebay that went for over $200.00. It was the Peg O my Heart 1/18 paint scheme. I have been looking for a nice early P-47 and these go for a premium. I guess if you are in need and willing to pay to get these rare birds than $200.00 is about right. F18 hornet Skull versions are over $300.00 and more.Does anybody know about Skyworks planes? I know they are high but with the way it is going
$300.00 to $500.00 is not outrageous.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:20 am

Yeah, economy or not, for some reason the P-47's have shot up considerably.

A couple months ago I won a Checkertail Razorback for $49 plus shipping on ebay.
I thank my lucky stars because it's my favorite. (there's a loose one up under the "Motorworks" category right now if you're so inclined)
I'm missing a few of these and they just keep going up and up. Guess I'm going to have to do without.

There's people with money to buy them out there, and prices don't seem to be going down on any XD warplanes.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

fogger1138
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fogger1138 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:55 am

There was a retailer named Jerry in Florida who had 1:18 P-38s for $65-75 back in February. (This is the same guy who had all of the F-16s & F/A-18s that were bought up by collectors, originally posted on HissTank.com) He may still have them - PM me and I'll get you his info.

digger

older planes

Post by digger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:55 pm

I was tracking a P-47 on ebay that went for over $200.00. It was the Peg O my Heart 1/18 paint scheme
I want everyone who passed on these at WM when they were 15-20 bucks because they were hoping they would go cheaper to do some real soul searching..

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:01 pm

How about that time I had nuthin but huckle deBucks and cobras at a local walmart- I called up a local etailer and sent him a couple of hucks in exchange for a couple of the spits I did not have. I guess the hucks and the spits are about equal in their availability nowadays. I probably didn't lose my ass on that deal

gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gliderdwm » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:27 pm

One of my favorite planes is the corsair. I have 2 diff ultimate soldier 1/18 and thought I would get the Marines Dream BBI Corsair. Watching 1 last night the Corsair went up to $160.00 in the last minute. What the heck is going on :cry:

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:34 pm

Found a guy in New Zealand who i'm going to buy a P-38 "California Cutie" off of. Selling for $250NZD (about $142US using the current exchange rate). It's not MIB but is still good for a plane i've been wanting.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:44 pm

gliderdwm wrote:One of my favorite planes is the corsair. I have 2 diff ultimate soldier 1/18 and thought I would get the Marines Dream BBI Corsair. Watching 1 last night the Corsair went up to $160.00 in the last minute. What the heck is going on :cry:
The Marines Dream is one of the more rare corsairs, probably second to Pappy Boyington's in terms of hard to find.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback, and I'll look for any more price tips I can find here. Throughout most of my life, I've had pretty good timing. But I got bit with the 1:18 bug only about a month ago, and the reading I've done on this forum and elsewhere indicates my timing is seriously *OFF* -- I missed a golden age, it seems.

I know I'm too new a member to be posting in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, but there are some planes and ground vehicles I'm very interested in. MIB not necessary, since they're destined to hang in my smoky Bat Cave ...

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:56 pm

ostketten wrote:
One specific plane I'm lusting after is the P-38. It looks like etailer prices are in the neighborhood of $200
I personally would never pay that much for one, and if you are patient and keep a sharp eye out at ebay I believe you can get one for considerably less than that. I don't collect 1/18 planes, but frankly I don't think these are all that scarce, there are over a half dozen of em' including "BIN" and auctions up at ebay right now, and if you bide your time and don't get to anxious I'm pretty certain you can bring one home for far less than $200. If I was gonna go after one myself, I would set an absolute maximum price I was willing to pay, and then try to "snipe" an auction in the last 30 seconds and hope for the best, this method has worked out very well for me in the past when I was after specific items, the worst that can happen is someone will beat you out, and you try again another day.
I may not know how to search ebay correctly, but I'm not seeing that many P-38s ...

usmcchet9296
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by usmcchet9296 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:51 pm

I got a opened P-38 for 74USD on ebay last week and a P47 amd F-18 (retail plus shipping) from the guy in Florida both for about 140 so there are bargins out there if you look.
USMC CHET
John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi