IS there a mass exodus from 1/18 XD?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

About my 1/18 Collection:

I am keeping my 1/18 scale collection till they pry it out my dead, cold hands
75%
I may sell off some pieces to collect other things
14%
Anybody wanna buy me out?
3%
I am done with 1/18 scale
7%
I am so OVER this hobby - I am going back to collecting Smurfs!
1%

Total votes: 95

Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:17 am

I know like our economy, all we hear about 21st Century Toys and 1/18 scale hobby in general is doom and gloom. But are most people abandoning the hobby? I see people selling lots of items at a time. Or they are selling whole collections at this point in time.
What is your stand on this?
Last edited by Razor17019 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:26 am

I keep what I have and try to add some more pieces to my collection.
I could collect Smurf (as they are Belgian) but until I found some ETO smurf BAR gunner, a Fokker with the Red Smurf and maybe a Smurfpanzerwagen, no way !

phil

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:02 am

I'd say it is the lack of product and the dismal outlook considering 21st is belly up and starting to attract flies. I know a lot of us 1:32 guys are looking to 1:72 as the future of relatively affordable small scale pieces. I don't really understand why people would be selling off their whole collection unless they want to wipe the slate clean or need some quick cash.
exether_mega wrote:I keep what I have and try to add some more pieces to my collection.
I could collect Smurf (as they are Belgian) but until I found some ETO smurf BAR gunner, a Fokker with the Red Smurf and maybe a Smurfpanzerwagen, no way !

phil
:lol: :lol: :lol: Gargamel in a Panther squashing Smurfs would be nice. :lol: :lol:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:05 am

Did you notice the top of this forum page ?

It says 1/18 forum not 1/16 forum.

The main reasen for the existence of this forum is XD . XD is 1/18 scale not 1/16 scale. Tamiya makes 1/16 scale . Maturo or what ever the name is , is 1/16 scale.

Razor I like you I do not like this post. Everybody says switch to 1/16 scale there are more stuff . TTHIS IS NOT SO THERE ARE MANY MORE 1/18 PLANES THAN 1/16.

1/18 scale was started by Mattel when they shrunk G I Joe to 3 3/4 inches that is 1/18 scale. And I guess 21st followed suit.

So if everyone is going to leave 1/18 scale go ahead. Leave , shut this thing down and move on to 1/16 scale .

There are PLENTY of military toy scales. BUT THIS IS A 1/18 SCALE FORUM.

I have been slamed on this foum because I ..., I forgot how it was stated. That I had a personal stake in 1/18 or something like that. Maybe I do. Somethings are not available so I make them to share with others. THE CHEASPEST I CAN.

Posts like this make me angry.

BY NO MEANS AM I ATTACKING YOU RAZOR . I AM NOT TRYING TO INSULT YOU. I AM JUST TIRED OF ALL THIS AND OTHER GUYS JUST DON'T GET IT.

THIS IS A 1/18 FORUM NOT A 1/16 FORUM.

FEEL FREE TO HATE ME , SLAM ME OR INSULT ME.

Maybe I deserve it the big picture is ...........You know it.

THIS IS A 1/18 SCALE FORUM . Let us keep it that way.

Anybody with me? Am I standing on this soap box alone ?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:22 am

where has anyone mentioned 1/16 in this thread??

:?:
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:31 am

aferguson wrote:where has anyone mentioned 1/16 in this thread??

Agreed....

I don't see a mass exodus from 1/18, but when the primary manufacturer of the scale goes tits up, whats a collector to do? Is this the end of 1/18? I don't think so, there are other, smaller manufacturers of 1/18 (like Admiral and BBI) that will probably continue to make 1/18 as long as the market will support. And who knows, with 21st out of the picture, we may see Admiral expanding into the bigger market and make vehicles, but we will just have to be patient and see how things pan out.
I don't think it is time to bail out just yet, as there is still plenty of XD product on the shelves, but if you really want something, I wouldn't wait too long to get it.

On a side note, I think people are selling their collections because times are tough and hobbies are expendable when you have to put food on the table or pay the gas bill.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:51 am

Exodus, Liviticus, Dueteronomy, nope not pulling out of 1:18.

If you think about it 1:18 is still going strong.
More toy companies are going to this scale because of Hasbro's success with their GI Joe, Star Wars, and now the Marvel figures.
Sure that's all make believe toys but there is some cross-over and other companies that latch on to this "standard" scale. So there is still hope.

Plus we still have Admiral, BBI, and FOV.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:51 am

I am not proposing ANYONE move to another scale.
I am justing starting to see a trend for some to give up on 1/18 scale and move to another one or get out altogether.
I justed put this poll out to see how people felt about it.
I for one am really glad that people like you, Pickelhaube, are making 1/18 items that no one else has or will make for this hobby.

I also changed the title of this post to:
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:55 am

Excuse me........... but the name of this forum is "Small Scale H.Q., Your Headquarters for Small Scale Enthusiasts".

I thought that covers ALL small scales. We have always discussed all small scales. I do know some of you guys even like the dreaded "1/6", besides me.

I think this forum has always been open to other scale discussions.

We must face, that there are almost no 1/16 planes (I don't know of any), but we do have more and more 1/16 vehicles, so us vehicle guys have something to play/collect besides the tiny scales or the monster/expensive 1/6.

We can all co-exist in our small scale community as long as we don't discuss the dreaded "politics" ........ :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:13 am

I will never abandon 1/18th and will hold onto the items I have collected over the years for as long as I can. I have multiples of most everything I have except for the planes and even those I will keep. We still have Unimax and BBI that may produce new 1/18th items in the future, and if they don't that's fine. Besides, my sons have now started collecting Thomas the Trains so I'm pretty much devoting alot of my time helping them collect, build and play with their trains and tracksets.

Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Fritzkrieg » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:28 am

I just started ramping up my 1:18 Military collection. I've had a modest 1:18 German collection since 21st first started making XD. Now I'm trying to put together a more complete collection. So, if any of you guys are looking to unload some of your XD Panzers, Kubels, Fallschirmjagers, or shermans. send me a PM. And for you guys hungry for new product, there is always custom work.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:49 am

If anything, the demise of 21c and all the great deals to be had with its products have encouraged me to expand my already large 1:18 collection even more. I'm sort of stocking up on some pieces now that I know I won't be able to get repaints any more. I recently bought an Xd F-86 for such purposes... I see no reason why one should have to give up the hobby if the major manufacturers close down. New products or not, we can still enjoy what we have :wink:

Besides, word on the street seems to indicate that 1:18 is not dead, just scaled back. My Target stores have pegs fuill of 1:18 Bravo Team modern Army and USMC figures, and even a few 1:18 Bradleys or Shermans. BBI is not out of the picture yet and Admiral Toys seems destined to release two new planes sometime this year.

21c tended to flood the market with their products, which was both good and bad for this hobby. It was good in that we got a ton of neat stuff regularly. It was bad in that QC often went down, some people got into the hobby that should not have been there, and 21c oversaturated the market and in effect killed themselves as small scale military models really only appeal to a small group of consumers.

Now that 21c is gone, companies like AT may get more of a say and while it means we will get fewer models for a higher price, it kees collecting 1:18 more in line with a true hobby 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:39 pm

Yeah really. Another bitchfest, huh. :(

When a company leaves there's always another to fill it's place. It just takes time.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:57 pm

Panther F wrote:

Yeah really. Another bitchfest, huh. :(

When a company leaves there's always another to fill it's place. It just takes time.
Yes I did.

I was venting. B----fest indeed.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

mediump
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by mediump » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:13 pm

I've got a case of panthers, 88's and figures buried in my yard -just in case :shock:
When down from the clouds with our weapons of Hell, we drop to avenge our friends who fell.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:23 pm

Barring any surprises, I'm planning to hang onto what I have, and I added a lot in the last three months (in part due to Monkey business!).

Having said that, at this point I also plan to add to my collection very selectively. I'm looking forward to the SBD, and if the KT happens to appear then I'm there. Also, if more Ages of Action figures are released then that will interest me.

But in general I'm slowing it down, not because I have to but because I want to. How much stuff do I need? And where can I even put it?
Depending on what aircraft and armor happen to be released, I'm thinking to add maybe one or two pieces a year, going forward.

Of course I reserve the right to change my stance on that, if some really great stuff comes out....

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:53 pm

pickelhaube wrote:
Panther F wrote: Yeah really. Another bitchfest, huh. :(

Yes I did.

I was venting. B----fest indeed.
What's a forum for if it isn't for a little humor. :lol:

batmex1
Corporal
Corporal

Post by batmex1 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:16 pm

As a long time 1/6 collector (more than 30 years....), not that means anything but I have been a plastic addict for a long time. I can say that I starting collecting 1/18 waaaaaaaay back when 21st initially put stuff out there. ( Remember Lou IV?) I just seem to enjoy 1/18 alot more, not sure why. I just got back into the forum thing and have already learned ALOT since my absence. I think I also got tired of the 1/6th elite that focused more on what kind of shoelaces feldwebel heintz wore at 10 am on August 10, 1945. Do I really care? No, i was into the fun of collecting and thats what I have found here. Sure, its cool to be as accurate as possible, makes your stuff look better, but dont lose the fun aspect of painting, decaling, building a diorama, etc. I will hang on to my 1/18 and keep my eyes to the horizon for more stuff, if and when they happen along. Oh yeah, probably getting out of 1/6.....so watch the evil-bay! :wink:
"Thats how we dooz it, man"

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:27 pm

1 and a little of 2. I dont have a huge collection :wink:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:36 pm

I am definitely in it for the long haul - I love my 1/18 collection, and while I may have be a bit more selective due to space issues, I don't plan on getting rid of anything, and I look forward to future releases from AT, bbi, FOV, and whoever steps up to take 21st's place. Once the economy stabilizes and picks up, and banks quit sitting on taxpayer money and start lending it as was intended (maybe with a little more sense of responsibility this time?!?), we will see new stuff.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:01 pm

I'm in it for the long haul as long as they keep making ww2 figures & vehicles.
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:10 pm

Even if no one ever makes another 1/18 vehicle I have enough to keep my slow rate of modding supplied. I have 3 XD Shermans, 2 BBI Shermans, 2 FOV Shermans, 4 PZIV, 2 Pantherrs and 2 Tigers. In addition I have about 8 or9 various sdkfz 251s and 1 of each US vehicles.. I also have one of most of the planes except the F-18, and ton of figures. I hope someone continues to offer 1/18 stuff but if not I will work with what I have.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:01 pm

FieroDude wrote:I am definitely in it for the long haul - I love my 1/18 collection, and while I may have be a bit more selective due to space issues, I don't plan on getting rid of anything, and I look forward to future releases from AT, bbi, FOV, and whoever steps up to take 21st's place. Once the economy stabilizes and picks up, and banks quit sitting on taxpayer money and start lending it as was intended (maybe with a little more sense of responsibility this time?!?), we will see new stuff.

D4MN Right im with ya.!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:05 pm

I am in by choice first and formost and by action secondly (I threw away most all of the boxes a couple of years ago). I am so strong in my desire to keep my 1/18th stuff and get more if I can, that I ordered a P-51 Tuskegeee today to make sure that I would have one.

There will still be items available in the future, but they will be fewer in number and cost more than when WM had 1/18th stuff. All simple economics - if I want it bad enough I will save my money to get it. This just happened more often at the WM prices. When I have the money available I would have no problem paying what the customs are costing. Where else are you going to get it? I bought some P-51s from MD and I want to get some B/C conversions for them. I even want to get a FW 190a before those airframes run out. I have high hopes in a tough economic time, but like I said I am in for the long run.

:p51:

Kris

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:53 pm

I'll stay with 1/18 as my collection is pretty big, but I have to admit that the thrill is fading. I really enjoyed the height of XD when WM carried stuff and you could look forward to several new releases a year, plus clearance bargain hunting increased the thrill.

Now with word that 21C is down and just about out and little to nothing new to look forward to for at least a while, my interests are going to turn elsewhere. I'll still collect the new releases, but I see it as being one to two new things a year from the likes of Admiral and BBI. And depending on the prices in the future, I may sell off some items (gasp) to make some money for my other hobbies.