My Personal Challenge

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Tinman
Officer - Brigadier General

My Personal Challenge

Post by Tinman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:41 am

OK, this might seem a little odd but here's the deal. Toward the end of January I had pledged to myself not to buy any XD for the month of February, after adding a few pieces over the previous couple of months.

Then the MD Blammo Sale hit, and between that and a few other sources my already ample (at least by my standards) collection has increased by about 25%. I've add more pieces in the last few weeks than I might normally buy in a year or more!

So now I'm challenging myself once again to just stop for a month, starting today. Let's see if I can do it!

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:13 pm

Stop lying to yourself and us man!! Just get what you want now, you can deal with the guilt and shame later.

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: My Personal Challenge

Post by exether_mega » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:27 pm

Tinman wrote:OK, this might seem a little odd but here's the deal. Toward the end of January I had pledged to myself not to buy any XD for the month of February, after adding a few pieces over the previous couple of months.

Then the MD Blammo Sale hit, and between that and a few other sources my already ample (at least by my standards) collection has increased by about 25%. I've add more pieces in the last few weeks than I might normally buy in a year or more!

So now I'm challenging myself once again to just stop for a month, starting today. Let's see if I can do it!
don't play this game with us. We all know how it will turn :wink:

phil

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:32 pm

I see the same kind of post from time to time on the gun board I frequent, and it always ends the same. :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:50 pm

WHY ?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: My Personal Challenge

Post by Panther F » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:00 pm

Yeah? I said I was done buying aircraft, 'till the Blammo Sale hit. Now I'm back to not buying anymore aircraft. :lol:

TOOL
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TOOL » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:27 pm

its the addiction cycle for sure....I spent more this month than all last year on 21st items. Probably becuase there wasn't much to buy really. It reminds me of the frenzy when 21st first released the Tiger, Bulldog, US halftrack, Stuka, and Corsair at the same time. My cart runneth over :twisted:

olifant

Post by olifant » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:55 pm

I can support tinman on this. Quitting is easy. I have stopped buying about thirty times so far. Come to think of it beginning is even easier!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:12 pm

id say the only way to truly do that is not sign on this forum for the month and not look for Monkey sales online - then it possibly can be done -
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:12 pm

Like I did! :oops:
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:38 pm

That's like quitting smoking or heroin. :shock:

I know I tried, the smoking part I mean. :wink:
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:10 pm

An XD addiction cannot be cured. :wink:

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:13 am

Yep - don't kid yourself...this stuff is like crack, only better.
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12 pm

You guys are killing me!

As to why I'm trying to hold out for a month, well, partly because I know my dear wife, who's been very understanding (for the most part!) about the several shipments that hit our porch in the last few weeks - but she has her limits, and I think another large box arriving by FedEx or UPS would put her over the edge. I have to live with her, you know!

Also, I'm running out of room for 1:18. And I must have a spot for the AT SBD! (Hmmm, I'm starting to think that some of our household items on the basement shelves might be useless and ready for the trash bin. Could open up some space....)

Anyway, I ended up being sneaky about my ME 262 order from Aikens Airplanes the other night (ordered Saturday, before my self-imposed moratorium). I'm having it shipped to my workplace, so I can sneak it in after dark. Oh, the shame of it all!!!

We'll see how long I can hold out. Snooping on ebay last night (what a great way to relax!) didn't help me any.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:45 pm

Quitting XD, and hanging out here, is like quitting opium, then going into an opium den, thinking you won't have the jones again. :lol:
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Tinman

Post by flpickupman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:52 pm

See? You already have the solution. Your new shipping address is now the office. :wink:

That's what I had to do with the DAK bubbas and 88 I just ordered. Money is tight, but I couldn't let the 88 get away at such a low price. With the state of our hobby, I figure the 88 will likely situate me for quite some time. The best part is I don't even have to paint the damn thing. 8)
-W.C. Fields

Tinman

Re: Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:58 pm

[quote="flpickupman"]See? You already have the solution. Your new shipping address is now the office. :wink:]

The nice thing is, once I have items unpacked and around the homestead, no one knows the difference 'cause they all look the same to my bride!

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:10 pm

It doesn't get much better than that. 8)
-W.C. Fields

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:11 pm

double post
-W.C. Fields

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: Tinman

Post by exether_mega » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:27 pm

Tinman wrote:
flpickupman wrote:See? You already have the solution. Your new shipping address is now the office. :wink:]

The nice thing is, once I have items unpacked and around the homestead, no one knows the difference 'cause they all look the same to my bride!
We all may live in different places and countries, we all do the same :lol:

phil

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:49 pm

Hahaha, I know what you mean about the wife's limits. I have a Tiger and Panther on display in my bedroom and my wife knew I spent 600 clams on monkey stuff but she thought that the two tanks were what cost so much!! She went into the garage and saw three huge boxes with tanks and planes in them and she about had a heart attack!!! She figured if the two tanks cost 600 bucks, what must have all these cost? I laughed my ass off when she came in and tried to get me to tell her how much I really spent.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:39 pm

Then you know what I'm talking about!

By the way, can I call it progress that I'm down to checking MD Blammo only three or four times a day, instead of hourly like I did for a while?

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Cripes, the Yellow 7 I ordered from Aikens Airplanes showed up at my house today while I was at work. Could have sworn I'd set it up to ship to my workplace (but obviously had not!). Freaked me out when I got home, but my wife was OK about it....

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:52 am

popeye357 wrote:Hahaha, I know what you mean about the wife's limits. I have a Tiger and Panther on display in my bedroom and my wife knew I spent 600 clams on monkey stuff but she thought that the two tanks were what cost so much!! She went into the garage and saw three huge boxes with tanks and planes in them and she about had a heart attack!!! She figured if the two tanks cost 600 bucks, what must have all these cost? I laughed my ass off when she came in and tried to get me to tell her how much I really spent.
Aint marriage fun......................................sometimes.
Clothes - OK
Toys - Questionable

They get over it!
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Fell off the wagon! Made it, what, almost 2 1/2 weeks? Been thinking about a 3rd Mig to complete my set (the North Korean one), and finally pulled the trigger. Hadn't gotten one on the MD Blammo Sale, but just picked one up on ebay (from a board member, for all I know) for less than retail, including delivery. Had to do it. Friggin' toy addict!