The $1000 question?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

The $1000 question?

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:38 pm

Slow times like these get me thinking....and i want to pose a question. It's mainly directed at airplane guys but i guess could apply to other subjects.

Would you sell one of your 1/18 airplanes for $1000 on the condition that you could never own one again. In other words, for example, would you sell your BBI Zero, if the deal was that you could never own any 1/18 Zero again, no matter who makes it, what markings etc. You are forbidden from owning a 1/18 Zero if you sell.

Would you sell?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

FieroDude
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by FieroDude » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:45 pm

I have a few that I could and would part with under those conditions... I wouldn't really miss my P-47 or FW-190D9. On the other hand, you will have to pry my P-38 or Me-262 from my cold, dead hands.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:52 pm

In a second. Don't even have to think about it! All things considered, I like my military (notice I didn't say love), but they are still just a piece of plastic (blasphemy you say) when compared to a thousand dollar bill. Could take a very nice vacation or pay part of my property taxes with that kind of money.
Last edited by hotrodrock on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:56 pm

Nope...not for a grand.
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:10 pm

I would say hell no, and fight tooth and nail with my inner logical self; but the minute my wife says were out of saltines, vienna sausages and sterno- I'd sell every last one, from the spits to whatever....I have no shame or imaginary principles to uphold...it is all about the almighty dollar.. Acually, I don't even know why I buy this stuff to begin with- maybe it reminds me of building models as a kid, but it's just turned into a habit like doritos

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:29 pm

Thats crazy talk!!!

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:31 pm

If I sold each of my planes for a grand, I would be looking at twenty-five large in cash. Add rotorcraft and we're talking thirty.
I would sell without hesitation. That's just way, WAY too much money to pass on.
I love my XD stuff. Sometimes I just sit and stare at them. But everything has a price.
$1000 dollar is an excellent price... 8)

Jeffrey
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:36 pm

yeah, for about 75grand, I would say "...........XD" and not look back- well, maybe. What about those who have a lot more than I?

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:54 pm

NEVER... well mabye 20,000 :wink:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Jesse James

Re: The $1000 question?

Post by Jesse James » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:10 pm

aferguson wrote:
Would you sell?
My god yes. I've owned cars that lasted me literally 5 years or more, for about half that price... $1000 to never own a $50 - $70 toy airplane again? Why not!? :)

Same would apply to my tanks which I cherish much more... $1,000 is a lotta dough to enjoy and use on other junk.

To me, the figures are the most entertaining part of the hobby ultimately anyway, so while I love the rest of it I'd sell it if need be. I love my armor but I'm already considering dropping every tank I have, which is almost every tank they've made I think (WW2 at least), for 1:16 scale stuff... Imagine how many 1:16 tanks that one $1000 airplane or tank could buy me? Hells yeah, count me in the selling group.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:13 pm

ok jesse.....how about $1000 to sell your favourite star wars vehicle and never be able to own one again?

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:28 pm

1000 dollars.........YES INDEED!
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

dcmacharlie
Corporal
Corporal

sell my stuff

Post by dcmacharlie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:50 pm

A 1,000!!!!To tell you the truth I’m thinking of putting my 3 -86s on the E bay market, now the next questions would be why the 86s, yes they are real nice birds and my favorite of all the 1:18 birds I own, but because they are so nice they would fetch the amount I need to acquire the F4E from Yellow Manufacturing and make it into a real nice Viet Nam Camo Bird. (and since they are not going to make a 1:18 F4 In my life time) I have to make my own and the yellow F4 is real nice. I’m in the thinking stage of doing this so it’s not in concrete yet.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:50 pm

This is a tough one I would say no. But what would happen if you said the Tender T. ? Not everybody has one but if they did the same question applies.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:03 pm

Show up here with 1000 bucks, and you can have whatever you want...... :)
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:41 pm

I might be able to let go of a jet or two, but I could never take that offer on any of my WWII planes, uh uh.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:46 pm

In a heartbeat - yes.

And, I've done it before. Not for as much as a thousand, but for a decent chunk of change. The pieces I got rid of I knew I would never own again, because I know I would never spend that much for any "toy". If something is worth that much, I won't enjoy having it because I won't "play" with it, and what's the use if I only look at it? Pictures are good enough for that.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:49 pm

Yes. 1/18 is nothing but another scale. Its nothing special.

I buy stuff because I like the subject matter, not the scale.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Some of them Yes, a few of them NO. Not my S1 Stuka. Still my favorite after all these years.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:15 pm

You can't buy anymore of that model. That would be a tough pill.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:09 pm

aferguson wrote:ok jesse.....how about $1000 to sell your favourite star wars vehicle and never be able to own one again?
Now you're hitting below the belt.

I own 2, possibly 3 (soon) AT-TE's... Love it. Would I have to give up all 3? :)

Seriously though, say I had to give up a TIE Bomber for $1000, or the big wing TIE Fighter... I'd make my own then. $1000 would fund a LOT of other SW toys I'd like... I'm sure I could make just about any vehicle myself if I really put my mind to it, so I think I'd be able to get by... Ultimately, again, figures mean more to me than the ships... in the world of SW though, you "learn to do without" as far as ships go. They're usually not up to my personal standards or they're just not gonna happen till you do them yourself.

Now if you mean I'd never ever be able to own (or make my own) one, that changes things a little I suppose. Still $1000 is just a lot of money. Hell I think $100's a lot of money... God I'm cheap.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

B-29
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by B-29 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:12 pm

I'd sell my V-1 and Gee Bee. Maybe my George F-104. The rest.. NEVER!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:24 pm

Jesse, the deal is you can never own a the same vehicle in that scale again.....so you can't make your own. If you sell your tie bomber or big wing tie.....that's it. You can never have one again in 1/18 scale.....or whatever that hasbro scale is.

And you would sell all 3 AT TE's for $3000 but same deal goes.....you can never own one again.

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:46 pm

I'd sell just about all of my planes, especially since I'm getting a $1000 per plane (16 P-51s = $16000, right). That would be about $90,000. I could pay off my house and buy a new car. So, yeah, it would definitely be worth it to me.

Besides, XD is not my first passion (blasphemy, I know), I really love musclecars, so having $90K to spend on cars would just be to good to pass up.
Last edited by pokeyjtc on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: The $1000 question?

Post by WGP Klaus » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:49 pm

aferguson wrote:Slow times like these get me thinking....and i want to pose a question. It's mainly directed at airplane guys but i guess could apply to other subjects.

Would you sell one of your 1/18 airplanes for $1000 on the condition that you could never own one again. In other words, for example, would you sell your BBI Zero, if the deal was that you could never own any 1/18 Zero again, no matter who makes it, what markings etc. You are forbidden from owning a 1/18 Zero if you sell.

Would you sell?
So if I were to sell one of my BBi Blue Angels for a grand, and I'm forbidden to own the other one I have, what theoretically happens to it? do I sell the second one for a thousand as well? I sure as heck wouldn't give it away, unless of course it was to a worthwhile charity, the US Gov't bailout excluded of course! :-)