To unpack or not to? That is the question. Anyone else?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

To unpack or not to? That is the question. Anyone else?

Post by hotrodrock » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:00 am

After years of being in storage (the planes, not me), I finally unpacked and assembled my Samatha Peyton and Haleakala P-38's. Also unpacked and assembled the Pudgy and Putt, Putt P-38's, the green and white Zero's, and the red tail P-51. Getting old (me, not the planes) and it had gotten to the point where I just wasn't enjoying buying all of this stuff and then putting it away and not seeing it for years. Was up in the attic a few days ago and saw a bunch of 1/6 vehicles and some 1/18 vehicles I didn't even know were there.

I've seen photos of other members storage areas who were in the same boat as myself, just buying stuff and putting it on a shelf. It got to the point where I asked myself if I was happy just being able to say I have a certain item, somewhere, or did I want to see it and enjoy it that way. Well, I have now gone on a rampage going thru the attic and the two storage buildings full of collectibles unpacking and displaying my favorite items. Anyone else go thru this?

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:50 am

I think they're meant to enjoy. It's one thing if you are planing a move or to re-sell but I couldn't just leave 'em in the box.

mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by mikeg » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 am

Well, I would'nt lick the back of a rare uncancelled stamp, clean a speck or two of rust off a mint antique firearm with naval jelly, or strp down a piece of colonial furniture and repaint it, but I don't hesitate to open everything I buy and display it. I'm not financially nuanced enough to see my purchases as top tier investements (I keep the boxes anyway, though). The bottom line to me is that anyone who wants my stuff when I'm gone or bored with this hobby is gonna want a tank or ac first, then a mib, nib, anib, or whatever after the fact. My enjoyment of my stuff takes precedence over the chance that all my assets wil be worthless exept for my XD one day. I obvously don't make a living off ebay,etc. either with said items.
Last edited by mikeg on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:57 am

i was the same way until my wife told me i was an idiot! so i began to set them up. some items are easily put back into there boxes. I found when and if you want to resell them it doesnt matter much to the buyer. they are happy to get something that was well taken care of and is no longer available. I alomost always get more than i payed originally. so i say set them up and enjoy!!!!
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

kevrut

Post by kevrut » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:58 am

I went through all of my stuff last year and decided to just keep my favorite paint scheme of each model plane. (With the exception of all my P-38s.) :wink: I've been selling them off gradually over the last year or so. I will buy new planes, just no repaints.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:01 am

caesarbc wrote:I'm getting that point as well. I ask myself am I collection out of habit or am I collection to one day enjoy the fruits of my labor? If I ma collection to one day enjoy the fruits of my labor, then when will that day come? I gotta do something about this as I am not sure why I am doing it.
you put into words exactly how i felt before i began openning the items
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:02 am

hmm... not much dissent so far, c'mon all you enlightened ones (you know your out there) tell us we're bumpkins....

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:16 am

It's definately become a habit, from hitting the targets, tru, walmarts, or specialty shops repeatedly to hiding innocent amounts of money to afford stuff- yeah, its definately a habit.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:21 am

I often wait a few years, but eventually I unpack everything and enjoy them.

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: .

Post by rmoore456 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:25 am

mikeg wrote:It's definately become a habit, from hitting the targets, tru, walmarts, or specialty shops repeatedly to hiding innocent amounts of money to afford stuff- yeah, its definately a habit.
Yep, everytime we go to Walmart my wife says meet me over at so and so because I know where you are going!

Ray

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:26 am

OPENED, ASSEMBLED AND GOT RID OF THE BOXES. THE PLANES I HAVE ARE FOR ENJOYMENT; NOT FOR AN INVESTMENT. I JUST NEED TO GET BACK TO WORK ON A WALL HANGER SO I CAN PUT THEM IN MY MANCAVE. IT'S MUCH MORE FUN TO SHOW THEM OFF WHEN THEY ARE OPENED AND PUT TOGETHER. :D

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:31 am

by gawd!!!!! until ya pry my cold dead fingers from 'em

olifant

Post by olifant » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:34 am

hrd, I have plenty of stuff both on display and MIB. Here is how I handle it.

All items I have only one of I unpack and enjoy. Every thing else is case by case. If I have four or five loose figures, or four Sherman or whatever out of the box already, I feel good about squirreling the rest away. If I ever feel I need them open I can, or I can save them for the reason I buy them: for future trading. Some day there will be something that comes up I can't afford or find and I can dig through my MIB stuff to make a trade. And if worse comes to worse and I need some cash I can always sell them.

And, it feels good sometimes to pull out something from storage and open it up! :D
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:48 am

Sure I open a lot of stuff and display them, but sometimes like me you get tired of seeing the same 1:18 Stuka in a dive hanging from the ceiling. I like to mix it up now, so I keep all my old boxes and hopefully the shipping boxes they came in. because the packaging is easy to put them back in out of harms way. I like to rotate the planes on display. We are talking about 1:18, and not a lot of us have that much room to display all of our stuff.
I'm not willing to damage any of these precious planes when I need to store them. So I keep every box.

I changed the plane in the kitchen from a 109 to a 1:18 Flying Tiger complete with Chinese decals just for Chinese New Year coming up that my sisters like to celebrate.
I think it will look cool for that and symbolize the bond we and the Chinese had when Americans fought for them.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:09 pm

Well I do have a bunch of stuff. You guys are lucky that you can show them off. I have a 3 day limit to enjoy something new. Then it is banished out to the work shed. Mama Spike is not one to mess around with. :shock: I have them every were out there. Stacked on top of each other. :shock:
But all my XD is out there and I am out there 10-12 hrs a day making XD so it aint to bad.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:32 pm

I only display a few items at a time and the rest are in their boxes, but every piece get's their fair share of display time.

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:23 pm

I have about a quarter of my tanks and helos in my office -
I have 5 planes hanging in my son's room - the rest are boxed up except for a Stuka in my office - the rest of my tanks and vehicles are on a shelf I put in the top of my closet - I have a few boxed.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:20 pm

21c planes always look much better out of the box 8)

The beauty with those products is, however, that both the planes and the tanks can be easily re-inserted into the boxes with little trouble. Since most come wired or screwed to the plastic tray, if one takes the item out carefully and saves the twist-ties and rubberbands, it can be put back in with little effort and look none the worse for the wear. That is what I have done with some of my planes and tanks I don't currently display.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:44 am

no boxes in my house...they are ripped apart and burned within 60 seconds of opening. Come on! enjoy them, modify them, tweek the missing detail crap out of em.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:47 am

tmanthegreat wrote:21c planes always look much better out of the box 8)

The beauty with those products is, however, that both the planes and the tanks can be easily re-inserted into the boxes with little trouble. Since most come wired or screwed to the plastic tray, if one takes the item out carefully and saves the twist-ties and rubberbands, it can be put back in with little effort and look none the worse for the wear. That is what I have done with some of my planes and tanks I don't currently display.
Yoxford wrote:no boxes in my house...they are ripped apart and burned within 60 seconds of opening. Come on! enjoy them, modify them, tweek the missing detail crap out of em.
the best two post in this thread
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by warhawker » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:52 am

I have to say that most of mine are in boxes stored away in both attics of my house.
I am thinking one day if or when we ever get a bigger house that I will have one room, like a large media room, where I will be able to re-create dogfights with them on the ceiling and watch movies there.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:40 pm

warhawker wrote:I have to say that most of mine are in boxes stored away in both attics of my house.
I am thinking one day if or when we ever get a bigger house that I will have one room, like a large media room, where I will be able to re-create dogfights with them on the ceiling and watch movies there.
what a room that would be, thats every guys dream that has a wife. :lol:
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"

uksubs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by uksubs » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:46 pm

warhawker wrote:I have to say that most of mine are in boxes stored away in both attics of my house.
I'm in the middle of building a extension on my house & will have my own room when it finished next year , big bummer is all my stuff in the loft & every weekend I'm working on the house :cry: