M-113 APC Upgrade With New Molds

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
cranedriver
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cranedriver » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:00 pm

Is that you John Wayne, this is me!!

cranedriver
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cranedriver » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:09 pm

M-60 info here including a detailed drawing of M-60D as seen above.

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/mg/M60.html

cranedriver
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cranedriver » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:25 pm

I haven't found a photo of a M-60D mounted on a M113 yet. Here is a good shot of the shields.

Momil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Momil » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Do you need any detailed pics of the shields? Believe it or not, I actually have an M113 that I am restoring and I have the ACAV kit sitting at my office (cupola armor, side M60 shields, swivel mounts for the shields, etc). I would be more than happy to take some pics for you if you need it.

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:37 pm

That is a great pic of the APC. The bell turret looks like mine no overhang were the top and bottom come together. Just a sharp edge. The M-60 the gunner is using looks lika standard M-60. I have seen several pics of the M-60 with the rear shield . It is 50-50 with them having the bipod and not having it. I have yet to see a pic with the weapon having the "D" handels though.

Hello Momil,
Welcome aboard.
I would love to see some pics of the rear and front cut outs. I could never get a real close up pic of them. Almost every model or drawing that I have THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT but pics are aloway covered by the front shield or trooper . The worse one that I have seen is actually the 21st 1/32 model. The cut outs do not look like anything I have seen in pics. So when I did mine I kind of combined all into mine. Having pics of a real one would be great. Head on and angle shots would help out greatly :D :D :D

I think that the spade grips would work from the 50 cal. They may be a little big but they would work. But like I have said before I have not seen one on the back of M-113.. YET
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Momil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Momil » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:06 pm

I will try to get some pics of the unmounted shields in the next day or two at the shop. Here are a couple pics of the front A pintle and shield. The first two pics do not have the cupola armor installed.

Image[/img]

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:45 pm

Party at Momil's place!
I am first in line on the .50!

Momil,
Great pics and you guys look like you are having a ball! Can you tell us how you aquired your M113 and could you post pics of the interior too?
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

cranedriver
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cranedriver » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:52 am

pickelhaube wrote:That is a great pic of the APC. The bell turret looks like mine no overhang were the top and bottom come together. Just a sharp edge. The M-60 the gunner is using looks lika standard M-60. I have seen several pics of the M-60 with the rear shield . It is 50-50 with them having the bipod and not having it. I have yet to see a pic with the weapon having the "D" handels though.

Hello Momil,
Welcome aboard.
I would love to see some pics of the rear and front cut outs. I could never get a real close up pic of them. Almost every model or drawing that I have THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT but pics are aloway covered by the front shield or trooper . The worse one that I have seen is actually the 21st 1/32 model. The cut outs do not look like anything I have seen in pics. So when I did mine I kind of combined all into mine. Having pics of a real one would be great. Head on and angle shots would help out greatly :D :D :D

I think that the spade grips would work from the 50 cal. They may be a little big but they would work. But like I have said before I have not seen one on the back of M-113.. YET
I can't find a D model mounted on a M 113 either. Looks like I will attempt to build one myself. I have a lot of .50 cals and M-60's to chop up to work with. I guess maybe you don't see any pics of the M-60D because they would be hard to use removed from their mount. I am sure that if the APC was disabled the M-60's were most likely taken off and used in defense.

I know I have seen them on PBR and Huey applications and just thought it would something neat to add to this armor upgrade seeing as we have never been offered the M-60D in any other format.

So PH if I can make one from parts maybe you can take it and make some copies as well as work up a mount system similiar to the one shown on the Huey door gun. I am sure a few members would like to have them to put them on helicopters (huey,Blackhawk, etc...).

Momil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Momil » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:43 am

Razor, it is still a work in progress, but here are some interior pics. I do not have any since I repainted the interior and put the power pack and floor back in.

cranedriver
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cranedriver » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:34 am

.50 cal from 21st Century M-113 RC

.50 cal from 21st Century Sherman

.50 cal from BBI packed in with Current figures at retail

7.62 mm ammo belt from newer 21st Century Vietnam Figures

Custom M-60D I threw together this morning

M-60 from 21st Century Navy Seal Jeep

M-60 from newer 21st Century Vietnam figures

There are a few more offerings out there including some PTE stuff. I think either of the 21st Century M-60 machineguns would look good on the M-113.

The BBI .50 would have to be cast in two pieces as the handles are removable. Maybe even a combination of the Sherman .50 with the BBI handles would be ideal.

Also the ammo cans on the M-60 are removable so that would be another small piece to cast as well.

Hope this helps.....

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:58 am

There is also an M60E out there that comes with one of the newer bbi modern figures. I believe this is the newer version of the M60 that is in service so I don't know if it has any application in this subject. Just thought I'd let you know... :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:05 pm

Well I think that I am ready to move onto production with this one. A few guys have said that I need cast the M-60 guns to go with the project. So I am about 85% sure that I will do it. Everybody has told me that a .50 cal comes with the M-113 so there is no need to cast that weapon. Here are pics with the finished turret and additional detail on the M-60 shields.
Ready for the RTV :D :D :D

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:08 pm

The RTV molds have been made. Production has been started but I do want to make too many because of other projects I am doing at the same time . I am having comp. problems again. So it will be hard to post pics. I am getting hit by viruses again and again . It has cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars to have it fixed ad still I have problems.

Anyway if you want a armor upgrade kit let me know.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:52 am

Almost all of the orders have been poured.

Does anbody else want a set ?

Let me know. So I can switch fully over to the V-1 dolly.

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:59 pm

I will take a set.... this will be my first armor mod.... look what you started Matthew.

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

customs

Post by thehun » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:20 pm

WOW Matthew,
you have been a busy boy, your customs are Rocking, Looks like you have been spending a lot of time in your shop, Keep-um-coming.
Hun

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:08 pm

Alright Guys,

Last call for alcohol.

All of the M-113 kit orders have been made and they are going out tomorrow. If you want one now is the time. Time to jump on the V-1 dolly full time.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:09 pm

Errrrrrr.....

Not again

The dreaded

double

:evil:
Last edited by pickelhaube on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:18 pm

pickelhaube wrote:Alright Guys,

Last call for alcohol.

All of the M-113 kit orders have been made and they are going out tomorrow. If you want one now is the time. Time to jump on the V-1 dolly full time.
PM sent.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:37 pm

Recieved my M113 armour kits from Matt today. Two words.....FANTASTIC and AWESOME!!!

Can't wait to get my M113s up armoured!!! This kit is a definite must have if you have an M113 guys... :wink: :D

Now we need to help you get that Pavehawk project off the ground!!!

Again Fantastic work Matt!!
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:14 pm

Received mine on Friday - looks great!!! Now I can have a proper US M113 in Vietnam.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:58 pm

Tinman wrote:Received mine on Friday - looks great!!! Now I can have a proper US M113 in Vietnam.
Thanks man,

Anbody else have there's or have mounted them on your M-113 ? Show pics !!!!!
I think that I have all the orders filled on this one. Orders will be going out Friday :wink:

You guys still can order these. I WILL NOT BE RETIREING THIS UPGRADE. So feel free to order.

I will offer a fully painted version if anybody wants it . I will put the fully painted one on e-bay in the near future. Est price for a fully painted set $75 for the cast in white still $50.

Thanks guys for all of your support,
Matthew

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:01 pm

I posted this over in the Custom section too, but I wanted to add some pictures to this thread.

Here are some pictures of one my M113s with the completed turret armor portion of the M113 armor kit that Pickelhaube recently produced. I'm just about finished with the M60s and shields for the rear hatch area that also came with the kit.

I used Testors Acrylic Green Drab for paint applications on the turret armor. You can see the difference in color with the camera flash, but in normal lighting the color difference isn't that noticable.

This kit really adds to the bland look of the M113 IMHO. I simply glued the shields in place. There is a place on the side armor pieces to use screws if you choose. I'm going to add those after the glue has completely set.

A figure will fit in the hatch. You'll have to leave the 50 cal and shield removable so that you can fit the figure in first. Then simpley put the 50 cal and shield back in place. The glue was still drying on the side armor when I took the picture so I'll post some tomorrow with a figure in place along with the completed M60s and shields. Then it's just a matter of adding stowage and filling in those holes left by the original stowage sets.

Those stowage racks someone mentioned would be a nice addition to this kit for the desert scheme M113 I'm going to do with the other kit I purchased..... :wink: :)

Great job all around on this one Pickelhaube!!! If you have an M113, you need this kit. It's very easy to install.

50 Cal shield un-painted compared to painted 50 cal shield.

You can see the M60s and shield in the background.

Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:13 pm

First pics of the finished product !!!!
Thanks for posting them !!!

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:14 pm

No problem. Sorry it took so long. It is a great kit that really brings the M113 to life... :)
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!