SCORE!!!!!!!-for once-

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

SCORE!!!!!!!-for once-

Post by mikeg » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Condensed version- Through the grapevine, I heard of a recently deceased gent in area who had an XD AC collection. Through the course of several phone calls, I was sent pictures of the planes hanging in the downstairs. A good collection of 15 to 20 18th scale AC and a smattering of other smaller scales and manufactureres. In speaking to the son, I told him what retail was at purchase as well as what retail can be currently; well, for about 80.00 I walked away with the 1st bbi zero, eileen P-47, eagleston P-47, and the black 1 ME109-- Not rare ones, but schemes I either ignored too long or didn't want to pay net retail for. There are still several more I will get as money allows. There again, not spinach 109s, but ones hard to ignore at DECENT prices. There are also wooden ones and smaller scale metal diecast, too. Maybe a surprise or two- who knows-I have not asked to stop by the house, of course. This man was a collector of many things I was told, well see how it works out.
That puts me up to about 54 or so 18th AC

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: SCORE!!!!!!!-for once-

Post by Panther F » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:01 pm

mikeg wrote:Condensed version- Through the grapevine, I heard of a recently deceased gent in area who had an XD AC collection. Through the course of several phone calls, I was sent pictures of the planes hanging in the downstairs. A good collection of 15 to 20 18th scale AC and a smattering of other smaller scales and manufactureres. In speaking to the son, I told him what retail was at purchase as well as what retail can be currently; well, for about 80.00 I walked away with the 1st bbi zero, eileen P-47, eagleston P-47, and the black 1 ME109-- Not rare ones, but schemes I either ignored too long or didn't want to pay net retail for. There are still several more I will get as money allows. There again, not spinach 109s, but ones hard to ignore at DECENT prices. There are also wooden ones and smaller scale metal diecast, too. Maybe a surprise or two- who knows-I have not asked to stop by the house, of course. This man was a collector of many things I was told, well see how it works out.
That puts me up to about 54 or so 18th AC
W O W :shock:

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:37 pm

I love these types of stories, too, - but of course, they happen to someone else. At some point, I'll see if I can look into the diecast stuff- of which I have no interest in, maybe he can move the rest to folks on this board.

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:14 pm

Three things surprise me.
1. You found about a deceased person with an XD collection and actually tracked down a relative of this dead person so you could buy cheap stuff.

2. That you are boasting publically about it.

3. You are getting supportive responses.
Sorry but not my cup of tea :roll:
Nev

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:38 pm

well, if you must know the truth, ya self-rightious effing weasel, the grapevine was a call from a local toy shop from an employee who knew I come in and call occasionally looking for XD. This employee gave me the sons name and number- The son and his wife are glad to have found someone who appreciate their dad's stuff. Oh, and by the way, numbnut, I did'nt have anything to do with his dads death, either. You remind me of a overly analytical associate of mine- your nuance is astounding, are you sure your not related to "the messiah" the news tries to shovel down our throats every night?????

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:42 pm

* Hey , Hey , easy , easy now !

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:49 pm

It is often all about who has the biggest collections, best deals, and first sightings around here; and that is for better or worse. I'm often a victim of such a mentality myself. Sure there are better ways to behave, but in any male-dominated hobby whether its building custom cars, collecting baseball cards, re-enacting, or whatever, such attitudes always seem to arise... Its something you have to live with, I guess.

Mikeg did get a good find and seems to have come across it in an acceptable manner without really taking advantage of anyone. His case raises an interesting question, but what would you all expect to happen to your collection once you were deceased? I, for one, know my family would get rid of much of mine in a heartbeat and that it would be sold for pennies...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:21 pm

Mama Spike has told me. When I kick the bucket she will have a big yard sell. What does not sell will go on the curb the next day. So I beleave if my stuff goes to a good home I don't care what the price would be.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:58 pm

Let me throw my two-cents in. Reading only the first few posts, I agreed with tankduel. As someone who had to spend all last year watching my wife try to take care of her father's estate, and deal with all the phone calls and letter from people trying to score a deal, the initial post sounded pretty bad.

However, in the second post, when the personnal insults weren't flying, it sounded much better, something that worked out for both parties. Still, no need to start attacking fellow boardmembers when it wasn't clear to begin with.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:14 am

Yeah, I think Tankduel read it the wrong way. As collectors, we can only hope that another collector who will care for our stuff will come along and grab it. It's either that or the dumpster. There was no deceit by mikeg so there is no foul. I'm happy he was able to find the stuff. Obviously, the son of the deceased was networking to find a home for the planes. Too bad mikeg didn't know the individual before he died. He was a kindred spirit to us all.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:56 am

I don’t care if he bought the planes in a morally questionable manner or not. There is absolutely no excuse for that kind of retaliation. Language like that, however disguised, is not permitted here! We all have differences of opinions some time. That’s life. Throwing PERSONAL INSULTS like that is over the top and you have no business acting like that. If you disagreed with Tankduel your post was just fine and would have explained your reasoning quite well without the insults. This is a very sad thread.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am

So you got four 1/18th aircraft for $80? That's cool, as long as you told them the truth how much these planes are going for these days.

Like you said, it's nice to find a 1/18th plane at decent prices, but it's also decent for you to tell the family members the truth about these planes' prices.

Especially since how much funerals cost these days. I bet they would have appreciated the extra money they could have gotten for these planes.

olifant

Post by olifant » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:32 am

My collection is prized and I worry when I finally go that these will end up at the Goodwill or sold off to grubby handed kids at a yard sale who will blow them up with firecrackers (like I did as a kid). I would be pleased to see them go to someone who really enjoys them like I do.

If my father passed away and he has a collection that I didn't appreciate or understand I would take great joy and comfort in being able to share him and his passion with someone else. I don't see anything wrong in this at all.

MikeG, don't blow a gasket. I think I heard you five by five. :wink:
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:40 pm

mikeg wrote:well, if you must know the truth, ya self-rightious effing weasel, the grapevine was a call from a local toy shop from an employee who knew I come in and call occasionally looking for XD. This employee gave me the sons name and number- The son and his wife are glad to have found someone who appreciate their dad's stuff. Oh, and by the way, numbnut, I did'nt have anything to do with his dads death, either. You remind me of a overly analytical associate of mine- your nuance is astounding, are you sure your not related to "the messiah" the news tries to shovel down our throats every night?????
Mikey
I run the local RC Tank club here. Two years ago, a widow tracked me down,her husband wasn't a club member and I didn't know him. Anyway, she was looking to sell his tanks which she didn't know anything about.
Turned out his collection included some valuable vintage stuff. I identified the items for her and advised her how to get the best price. I didnt offer her a pittance like some vulture with no conscience.Good luck to you though, it sounds like you cant wait to get into the dead guys hobby room for some more booty.

Nev

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:24 pm

Okeedokee, I see this thread has not come to its inglorious end yet; so I'll add a tidbit or two. Once again, his son was no poor redneck fool- He makes a far better living than I, he saw the 39.95 price on most of the walmart boxes in the attic, I told him internet retail is around 59.00 on average for them. HE offered to sell them to me for what he did- he thought half price out of the box was fair and I accepted. He said he would use funds from selling his dads stuff (not just freaking XD) for upkeep on the house- gas for the lawn mower, etc. These funds aren't going to affect the familys costs of the man's funeral- and if you think the planes are worth 100.00 apiece, then send me the money and I'll sell 'em to you-y'all at that. I shook hands with the man after we exhanged money/AC at the IHOP parking lot and we both left satisfied. Do some of you think I have 666 written across my forehead or something?? I should have said I bought 'em for 5.00 apiece and then listened to the gnashing of teeth and raping and pillaging accusations certain to arise..
Is this what it's like to be a 15 year old teenage girl and to have your friends (alot of 'em) bear their teeth at ya and verbally stab you in the back when you find yourself in a fortunate situation and you happen not to share it with them?????????
Oh, and the unpleasant language I used was not necessary in the long run, but seemed appropriate after I read TDs first post- to put it some-
what precisely, it went like this-
1st- is this for real?
2nd- sudden increased heartbeat
3rd- cold and clammy feeling all over
4th-why rain on a good parade for both parties
5th-AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!

One more thing Nev, we discussed how to dispense with the other items, such as listing his email address for other members of this board (like I said) Maybe I can convince him to save some booty or loot for you and maybe he can ship it to you for free ( free freight, too). TD, I'm sure your really a great guy, but I most respectfully rebuke your flying rodent/rotten meat consuming characterization of me. Oh, and I dont run anything here, tank club or what have ya,- so sorry for that.

cheers or toodles-

Oh, and I repeat it for the 3rd or 4th time, the guy new what past and approximately current retail is- Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:41 pm

666 on the fore head ? Were do you get that at ? :twisted:

Easy fellas. This should be a fun sight . I feel for the both of you but one should hear the full story and there is no need for name calling. Although a 666 on the forhead would be coool. OK maybe not. But it would be a good ice breaker in a bar.
A biker bar.
Deep in Mexico.
Next to a Mayan temple.
Loaded with vamps
:twisted:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:48 pm

Darnet, and another thing, Nev- with both knowing approximate retail on the items, would you have insisted on paying that and refuse his initial offer???? he knew he was being generous to me-- I, too would help and old lady cross the street or give up my seat to hear on a bus, but would you then walk her to her place, fix her dinner, clean her house and shop for her? At what point does the chivalry end? and reality take over?

kduck
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by kduck » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:51 pm

Personally I don't see where mikeg did anything wrong. Obviously the son put the word out that he wanted to sell the collection and it sounds like mikeg was up front about what the items were worth. Since we're discussing items bought from a deceased person's collection, how many people here have bought items from an estate sale? Often times those items belonged to a deceased person and can sometimes be had for way below market value. If someone here bought a $200 item for $20 at an estate sale I doubt that they would feel guilty about it.

On the other side of the coin my father passed away 5 years ago and left me some items that I had no practical use for. It's true that they had some sentimental value but eventually I realised that it just didn't make sense to have something I would never use and I sold some things. I was real hesitant at first but I was happy in the long run for making the sale. Any guilt I felt at selling the items was erased by the way I spent the money I received from the sale. I spent 100% of it on things for my kids. They were happy, I was happy and ultimately I think my father would have been happy with the way things worked out.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:07 pm

When I die you guys can have all my stuff. My wife will throw it out if you don't take it.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.