Anyone converted their Stuka to a 'D' or 'G' version?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Anyone converted their Stuka to a 'D' or 'G' version?

Post by aferguson » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:34 am

I'm thinking about doing it but am not really looking forward to it :x

The only reason i want to is so i can sling a pair of custom 37mm cannons under the wings to make a tank buster variant out of it. I've toyed with the idea of just hanging them under the standard 'B' variant that 21c produced but i know it won't make me happy in the long run. :?

I have heard that during the middle part of the war some 'B' stukas were also converted to carry the wing cannons that the 'G' carried but have not seen any pictures of this or had any hard evidence to back it up. As far as i know for certain, only the 'G' versions carried the big underwing cannon.

In this interview with an actual stuka pilot http://www.tarrif.net/wwii/interviews/h ... eumann.htm he states (about 2/3 of the way down) that at one time he was flying a Stuka 'B' variant while most of the rest of the squadron flew later models. The implication is that, since this was a tank busting squadron that this 'B' might have been equipped with the wing cannon but since they also did bombing missions it may just have been used for that.

Anyway, back to my original question; has anyone attempted the conversion and how easy/difficult did you find it?
I really don't think we'll see one from 21c or BBI...

Just1more
Corporal
Corporal

37mm Cannons

Post by Just1more » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:36 am

I'm working on a set of 1:18 scale cannons to hang under my wings even though its not the correct model. I will post pics when I get closer to the paint portion. I wish they would make a G model but we sometimes have to make due with what they give us. Although my personal opinion would be that they should have done this plane as the later model with the cannons and I think it would have sold just as many. I mean look at those cannons if that doesn't scream :twisted: DESTRUCTION :twisted: I don't know what does. :D

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:49 am

well i bought a winter stuka yesterday so, when i get it, i will decide whether to do the conversion to a G or to just make the cannons. The conversion is not really all that difficult but will be tedious and time consuming. :?

It willl look pretty groovy with the cannons on it, regardless of which route i take.

I wish i could find some pictures of 'B' variants with cannon as i've heard rumoured but alas, cannot.

Sadness.

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:04 pm

aferguson wrote:well i bought a winter stuka yesterday so, when i get it, i will decide whether to do the conversion to a G or to just make the cannons. The conversion is not really all that difficult but will be tedious and time consuming. :?
Aferg,
You realize that the differences between a B and a G are pretty obvious.. A conversion would require almost reworking the entire plane..

The most obvious changes would be to rework/elongate the front cowl and reduce the air intake in size.. Redo the canopy to the smaller rear section, elongate and narrow the wingtips, remove the small dive brakes.. And that's just for starters.. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:38 pm

Yeah i know......i said i wasn't looking forward to it. :?

Actually i plan to do a G-1 which had the same wings as the B model. It was the G-2 and later (based on the D-2 and later models) that had the wing tip extensions.

I will probably cheat a bit. The canopy is a complete redesign but i will use the windscreen that comes with the 21c B and go from there. I will reshape the nose but not worry about elongating it the couple of inches it actually was. I will re-use the spinner rather than make a slightly longer, pointier one.

Adding the small underwing airscoops is easy as is removing the dive brakes, dive sirens and fairing over the wing cannon (like on the early G models). I won't worry about replacing the double tail strut with a single one.

When i'm done it should look much like a G but not exactly like a G...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:45 am

My winter stuka came today. I like the little shark mouth on the bomb. :)

Now to decide whether to try and convert to a 'G' or to compromise what's left of my principles and just hang scratchbuilt wing cannons on it as is. :?