Great news on the horizon for 1/18scale.

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Great news on the horizon for 1/18scale.

Post by Aviatornut.com » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:09 pm

As most of you guys know I am not only a hobby store that sells 1/18 scale items but also a fellow lover of the scale. Needless to say it has been a tough year for 1/18 product and in the end it has effected our sales and customer base. I get the feeling that the excitement for the scale is at an all-time low because the consensus is bleak. I have been trying to gather as much information possible from the three manufactures of 1/18 scale product. Looks like this may be a dry year for the most part except for Admiral Toys SBD and Skyraider.
Here is why we have seen delays and cancellation:

*Material Costs in China have gone way up

*Fuel cost

*Labor costs have increased

*Poison inspection costs

*shipping across the Atlantic is way up (3x)

*The dollar fluctuation with the Yen has cause a major problem.

I think we will still see repaints but very few new planes. But this has been good news for the custom guys and they have done a great job filling in the gap. BUT I DO HAVE GOOD NEWS. Looks like we have a new factory that will import 1/18 scale airplanes. This new distributor will be producing their aircraft to a higher standard with opening engine bays and ect. Once I get permission to post pictures of the planes I will.
In conclusion we will be seeing more customs and 1/18 scale planes built at a higher level along with the typical repaints but I don’t think we will see the old days of 1/18 scale planes on sale for $30 or less. I for one think this will be better for the scale because the cheapness of the old days caused a perceived impression that the product is cheap and not worthy of collecting. But now with more limited editions and customs the planes have higher value. I also think if you were to compare the cost of the planes to 1-32 model kits you would see that we have been getting a bargain.

Caltek is the company
Last edited by Aviatornut.com on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kevrut
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by kevrut » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:09 pm

Thanks for the news. :)

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:06 pm

How much????
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

MandaloreSC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MandaloreSC » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:18 pm

I don't care about planes at all. I collect only armor and figures. And when it comes to armor and figures I hope this has been a good year for 21st so far.
And again - it is spelled WeHrmacht, guys...

B24guy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by B24guy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:22 pm

Great news, I look forward to pics.
Darren

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:30 pm

does this mean we're in for yet another round of corsairs, mustangs etc or are they going to make something original? And can you give us an idea of the price point? (eg $50, $100, $200 etc).

Glad to hear the SBD and Skyraider are still coming this year...they'll both be a breath of fresh air.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:50 pm

I think overall this is good news for us 1/18 scale aircraft collectors, but I will reserve judgement until I see a price point. I mean sure, the Skyworks FW-190 is nice but $500, come on. That's way too rich for my blood. You can pick up a 1/5 scale r/c warbird from Yellow Aircraft or nearly any other r/c company for about the same price. Yeah I know, you have to build and paint the r/c plane, I'm just mentioning it as a point of reference. I mean no disrespect for the newer breed of 1/18 scale companies, I'm just bummed out that I can't afford them. I guess I won't stop any of my scratch builds any time soon.

pickelhaube

Re: Great news on the horizon for 1/18scale.

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:24 pm

Aviatornut.com wrote:As most of you guys know I am not only a hobby store that sells 1/18 scale items but also a fellow lover of the scale. Needless to say it has been a tough year for 1/18 product and in the end it has effected our sales and customer base. I get the feeling that the excitement for the scale is at an all-time low because the consensus is bleak. I have been trying to gather as much information possible from the three manufactures of 1/18 scale product. Looks like this may be a dry year for the most part except for Admiral Toys SBD and Skyraider.
Here is why we have seen delays and cancellation:

*Material Costs in China have gone way up

*Fuel cost

*Labor costs have increased

*Poison inspection costs

*shipping across the Atlantic is way up (3x)

*The dollar fluctuation with the Yen has cause a major problem.

I think we will still see repaints but very few new planes. But this has been good news for the custom guys and they have done a great job filling in the gap. BUT I DO HAVE GOOD NEWS. Looks like we have a new factory that will import 1/18 scale airplanes. This new company will be producing their aircraft to a higher standard with opening engine bays and ect. Once I get permission to post pictures of the planes I will.
In conclusion we will be seeing more customs and 1/18 scale planes built at a higher level along with the typical repaints but I don’t think we will see the old days of 1/18 scale planes on sale for $30 or less. I for one think this will be better for the scale because the cheapness of the old days caused a perceived impression that the product is cheap and not worthy of collecting. But now with more limited editions and customs the planes have higher value. I also think if you were to compare the cost of the planes to 1-32 model kits you would see that we have been getting a bargain.
Great news. I can't wait for more info. :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:31 pm

Yes, manufacturing and shipping costs are up which are driving up prices on models. However, I don't think this is really so much the long-term problem though, as is the reality that costs are going up (rapidly) on everything, especially fuel, food, and commodities - whilst salaries are, in general, not. This is pinching the hell out of the wallet of the average consumer who must now re-evaluate whether spending a large sum of money on military models is prudent.

Frankly, given how the government is spending money like a drunken sailor and Federal Reserve printing money like it is going out of style, I don't see the situation improving anytime soon.

Enjoy the models you have folks. One day in the future you may look on them as products of a bygone economic era.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:46 pm

Well said coreystinson.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:49 pm

I hope that means 1/18 modern jets...like Ritchie's F-4D, F-15C, etc.

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:55 pm

I agree and am convinced fuel prices are going to do way more damage to the economy than just drive toy prices up. The new Panther retails for $80 so imo any new aircraft I think will be in the same ballpark, any "basic" plane. You get something with alot of moving parts and that's large of course I think will be closer to $100. I personally think 21st has already shelved the B-25 because face it, who could afford it now? Just my opinion. Until somebody holds the oil tycoons accountable for down right fraud and thievery (hint to congress), I think we may be to the point of kissing any new molds goodbye.. I think it will be repaint city but only in limited numbers, again only my opinion.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:02 pm

Is the "new factory" an entirely new company that is releasing 1/18 planes for the first time?.....OR is the new factory already producing 1/18 planes for overseas markets only and is now entering the US market. If so, does anyone know of a foreign company that is making 1/18 planes currently for foreign markets only so we can Google foreign websites to see their 1/18 planes?

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:32 pm

Interesting, but I will miss monsterous F-104s at $40 a pop... :cry:

It seems to me that my fallback hobby of vinyl, tape, and vintage stereo collecting just got thrown back into the bigger picture. There's an abundance. Goodwill... my best friend.

Sadly, unless I really start making money and get my life together, 1/18 for me will be null. I don't want that, I love both scales, and it hurts to think of these things, but right now the world is moving too fast.

I have to say this is my favorite hobby I've ever had. I'm hoping things don't go the way of the dodo for me, but if things just keep going up in price, well, it may just be near the end.

I could rant, but it's a waste of time and there's not a god damned thing I can do about it.
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:04 pm

As for price my guess is around $70 mark….. this is only my guess please do not hold me to it.
Last edited by Aviatornut.com on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:07 pm

I'm gonna start collecting coins
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:08 pm

I just read the blog that Badcat posted pictures from caltek. I was told that it was going to be under different packaging than bbi..... I guess we will see.
also the next plane will be different version of the zero and they are working on another plane that will make a splash.

Last edited by Aviatornut.com on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B24guy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by B24guy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:15 pm

Cool deal, I look forward to seeing what planes they come out with. Looks like I can finally spend my 89 dollars I have been saving for the 21st Century F-4. :D
Darren

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:16 pm

AVIATORNUT:

"Unfortunately the first two planes schedules are already in existence by another manufacture but with improved features. One is at least a earlier version of a existing plane."

So you're saying the new factory is:
1. A foreign company that's never released its planes in the US?
2. It's planes are entirely of it's own designs (not customized), but other companies have released their versions of the same planes?

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:20 pm

I do think this time of silence has benifited the custom guys and in the end has helped make this more than just toys.

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:52 pm

Maybe it isn't so bad... :)

As long as we see jets, I'm okay.
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:03 pm

Ok so Caltek is the "new" distributor...peddling BBi stuff? Do I have that right? If so, that's cool I guess.. I wonder where the Solomons Zero is BBi promised at the first of the year since a "different" version of the Zero is on the horizon, an A6M5 I hope... :D Even better an A6M3 clipped wing Hamp. :D :D

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:13 pm

Interesting news from China...

A new factory? First two copies of existing 1/18 planes only much better? with more features?

With all the bad news, so far this year, for us from China, this at least, seems to be good news. We shall see.

Already news on the 1/6th front from China. A new group is producing an all metal, and very nice Opel Blitz and their second and third models will be a Panzer III and a Sdkfz 250 version with roof and gun turret. Sounds too good to be true. Expensive...... but what isn't?

Didn't 21C make a prototype of a RC Panzer III, which disappeared a quick as it was shown. :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:52 pm

sdkfz.250/9 had the 2cmL55 turret
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

Jackson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Jackson » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:04 am

Last edited by Jackson on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.