Michigan Toy Soldier?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Michigan Toy Soldier?

Post by dragon53 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:44 pm

Has anyone bought any planes from Michigan Toy Soldier Co.?
If so, any comments on them?

Jagdplastic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Michigan Toy Soldier

Post by Jagdplastic » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:32 pm

I've not bought any planes, but have bought other merchandise before.

There are pros and cons in dealing with them. They often have the lowest price if you factor in the Preferred Customer Number that you can easily get from them. This has worked to my advantage with some of the Minichamps tanks and some of the Dragon 1/72 scale military vehicles. They're one of the cheapest with the 1/35 figures in kit form and they will match prices if you send them the link to prove others have a lower price. They don't always add on the additional 5% discount on the price match as they advertise.

I try to work with Jennifer via email and on the phone as she has the most customer service skills. Other employees that I've called in the past weren't particularly helpful except the owner himself; Rick is his name, I think. Rick isn't easily gotten.

They haven't always held my orders and sent them as a group so that I can save on shipping on occasion. They often don't have the product in stock though their website seems to suggest that they do. Jennifer has been apologetic when I discovered that last bit of info.

So for me, it has been a mixed bag, but I would suggest that you try them yourself on a simple order and don't necessarily take my word for it either good or bad.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:48 pm

JAGDPLASTIC:

Thanks for the info.

PS---I'm from Durham, NC and an NCSU alumnus. I'm glad to see another North Carolinian on SSHQ. I'm still waiting on the 21st Century F-4D piloted by Steve Ritchie (Reidsville, NC).

Jagdplastic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jagdplastic » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:04 pm

Dragon53,

I've been hoping that another NC board member would show up that's closer than at the coast. There's at least one other NC resident on the board, but, as I said, he's on the coast which I don't get to very often.

As you probably know, Cary has a TRU and I think Durham has one also. They're pretty darn good in getting stuff in, much better than Wal-Mart has been over the years. Please keep me informed if any 21st Century FW-190A/F's show up.

Welcome aboard.

(Sorry, other board members, I'll try to be more general to everyone in my ramblings in the future.)

Jagdplastic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jagdplastic » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:08 pm

Dragon53,

I forgot to mention that I'm a UNC-CH grad, for what it's worth.

(I didn't keep my word about being general in my writing, did I?)

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:21 pm

JAGDPLASTIC:

I forgot to mention I'm in Houston---unfortunately.
As for UNC, I'm not the typical UNC-hater. My oldest brother went to UNC and I almost did (undergrad and grad), but chose NCSU---but I don't pull for UNC in sports. However, I have the utmost respect for UNC academically.

Thanks again for the info on Michigan Toy Soldier.

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:41 pm

Since I live close to this store ( they have a brick and mortar store and it is way cool to walk in a see all that product on the shelves) I haven't had occasion to deal with them online. However, I can state that in person they are a great bunch of really nice guys ( and my kids love their two store cats - Stella and Archie!) :D :D :D
They also host a great toy soldier show regularly here in Michigan. Lots of great vendors from all over the place. They just had one in January. The next is in July.
http://www.michiganshow.com/
I am trying to convince the owner to post a link to this site on their website.
Geoff

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:22 am

I echo what blurx7 said.

Live close and end up over there almost every other weekend, vist talk shop and end up buying somtething that I have no room for.

Good honest retailers that have a passion for the hobby and aside from 21st Century, BBI and FOV, a great selection of figures, paints and diorama material.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

thetatau87
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by thetatau87 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:25 am

Wow, I work only a couple miles from the store and didn't know they were there. I'll be heading over there at lunch to check what they have in stock. I've been on a 1:32 aircraft binge lately. I'm trying to find one of each type that 21st has available.

1:18 scale has been moving too slowly with new releases and 1:32 has come a long way recently. Not to mention how much more affordable and easy to display a collection of 1:32 is vs. 1:18 aircraft!

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:29 am

GUYS:

Thanks for the info. I might be ordering from them this week.

Jagdpanther
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jagdpanther » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:58 am

I have ordered only once from them so far and it came fairly quick but I do see some of there prices are high. But all in all there great! 8)
[img88]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s281/army5551/160392_1114600356-1.jpg[/img88]

Obi2kenobi
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Obi2kenobi » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:40 am

I've placed several orders with them, mainly for 1/72 figures but I also bought two 1/18 hellcats. I got great deals on the hellcats because I pre-ordered and got a 20% discount. The planes got here safe and sound. There's a 20% discount going on right now for everything in stock.

Overall they have great service and fast shipping; however, they tend to skimp on their claim to beating lower prices. If a company advertises that they will beat prices then they better do it without the customer having to battle it out.

Caveat emptor when dealing with any online vendor. With that said, give them a try as I'm sure you will be pleased.

uksubs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by uksubs » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:31 am

Nice company , but web site out of date