McFarlane and 1/18

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General

McFarlane and 1/18

Post by Morian Miner » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:19 pm

Last week, the family took a trip to Disneyland. Since we were going through Phoenix, I made my usual stop at the McFarlane company store.

While in there, I saw some guy walk in with his kid. The way he talked to the store manager, I figured it was just some collector until I got a better look - it was Todd McFarlane himself.

At first, I didn't want to bother him. But when he greeted me, I figured I had to ask the question - why don't you do anything in 1/18 scale?

Now, when I had asked his store manager the same question before, he said they often ask McFarlnae, and never get a good answer. Let me just say.....I can now confirm that. For a couple minutes, I was shown around the store, and was exposed to more toy-company speak (lots of words, with absolutely no answers) than you can imagine. Think 21C doesn't answer our questions? Not...even...close..to what I got to hear. Really, I wish I could have had my video camera with me - it really was amusing.

So, with a confused look on my face, I said thank you, made my purchase, and left the store chuckling.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:20 pm

He must've had a bad experience with that scale sometime before.

Liquid Identity
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Liquid Identity » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:37 am

McFarlane doesn't do well with competition. They were good for a while but now NECA has come along with some sense, scooped up a lot of the hot licenses, and are cleaning up.
McFarlane is content to not change much, not listen to fans, and put out figs of a contantly degrading level of quality.

As far as military goes, McF isn't going to jump into the pool with the GI Joe sharks. They also aren't going to get into anything that involves putting out decent figs on a regular basis. Set sizes are now 4 for military and come two or three times a year. So sad...

1/18th means articulation. And that's the deal breaker for McF. "Articu-wha??? That's so 1990s..."

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:26 am

Well at least you got some time with the man himself. Well done!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:50 am

Being that he's a fellow Canadian, i used to be somewhat proud of Todd. I do think he's a bit whacked though..
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:13 am

When he was a child, a bunch of 1:18 GI-Joes beat him up in front of his girl friend so he's hated the scale ever since. :roll: :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)