NEW CUSTOM CONTEST!!!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:20 pm

KAMIKAZE,
I don't want to sound like student asking the teacher what's on the test, but- you are the only judge, right? So, what are the entries going to be judged on?
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:30 am

Re: How are you guys doing on your planes?
I'm behind on schedule, I'm still not 100% sure how I'm going to produce the final sculpt (as in vac formed, rotationally molded resin......). At the moment I've got the master form for the fuselage almost done and the master forms for the engines are about to be sheeted (before being glassed ) I just bought a digital camera so I can finally post pictures of the build so far, should have some progress photos for ya this coming week some time.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:27 am

Hi Razor,
I unfortunately am the only judge. I did however get Bad Cat this year to donate part of the prize. You never know, we may have officially sanctioned company contests one day. I judge on just about all facets of the plane and I try to be as impartial as possible. The last contest winner was from Canada ( which involved some serious shipping). I do this occationally to keep up interest in the hobby and to show the manafacturers what is possible. The main thing is to have fun. I truely love this hobby and I would really like to see double the number of members here someday. I hope that answers your question.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:19 pm

The contest will continue if the is any interuption in this site but you must make it over to the emergency site as soon as possible. A time extention will be in effect if this happens to make sure all you guys have a fair chance to post your pictures.
If not you can send them directly through the mail.

Mark

catman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by catman » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:21 pm

is everyone ok with me purchasing an underscale item and updating the parts?

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:26 pm

It needs to be as close to 1/18th scale as possible. Just do your best. using parts and pieces of other aircraft is fine.

Mark

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:54 pm

How are you other guys doing on your planes? Let me know if you run into any design finishing problems.

Mark

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:01 am

Trying my hand at it. Never have done anything like this before. :D

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:31 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of kit bashing Razor. I'm glad you decided to give it a go. I hope someone else has a contest one of these days so that I can enter. Good luck with your entry.

Mark

catman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by catman » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:48 pm

Guys may I have an extension?

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:04 am

I wish I could catman, but it would not be fair to the others that have been working hard to meet the deadline. Don't quit. Submit whatever you have finished or not. This was a short contest and all of you have been doing better than I expected.

Mark

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:54 am

AARRGGHHH. I had to resort to plan B. I was running into unknown territory with the moulds and I could see that It was going to chew up too much time so I've had to use the actually moulds to make my plane:oops:. I was almost going to second catman on the extension, but your right Kamikaze - rules are rules. I'll just keep pushing.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:58 am

Kamikaze, how do you want us to submit our entry? Shall we just post our pics here or in a dedicated thread? And what do you want us to submit, ie side, front, 3/4, scale comparison?

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:06 pm

You guys need to post your pictures to this thread so everybody can find it. As far as the aircraft profile, you should submit a few photos around the plane and one with a scale pilot or ruler so we can see the scale.

Mark

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:11 am

Coming down to the deadline for this contest - Tomorrow
Who is still in this thing??

Rollcall!

I had high hopes for my project, but have ran into several problems. I am trying to at least finish the cockpit/capsule portion of it to at least show you guys my concept and progress. I will post pics tomorrow for it. I am really looking forward to seeing what everybody has put together.

KAMIKAZE,
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to try this (even though it has been frustrating at times! :evil: )

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:16 am

Hey razor, yeah I'm still in. Was kinda wondering myself who was still in, I guess catman (?).

This has been a learning curve for me too, as in i've never custom built a plane before. So some of my "experiments" didn't work out as smoothly as when I thought about them in my head. And the plane is definitely going to get rebuilt after the comp to add things I had hoped to complete before. Goodluck guys, and look forward to seeing all your handiwork.

catman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by catman » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:25 pm

Jay wrote:Hey razor, yeah I'm still in. Was kinda wondering myself who was still in, I guess catman (?).

mmm...

Razor17019

Contest Entry: Heinkel "Lerche II"

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:18 pm

Hi Guys and KAMIKAZE!
I tried to find a 2 engine project that would not take up the whole space in my basement. So, I started looking at what "might have been" if the German engineers were allowed to go full term with their some of their more interesting concept planes... I found pics and plans of the Heinkel "Lerche II" or Skylark. The need for quick interceptors to stop Allied bombers stationed near manufacturing facilities in Germany were on the minds of the Heinkel designers when they invisioned the Lerche or Skylark.
I will include some drawings and modern artwork that shows what a "finished" Lerche would have looked like:

Okay. Now lets look at some Germans in a remote location in the process of building and testing a secret weapon: Heinkel "Lerche II"

If you thought you saw only one propeller, you are right. The crack team of German engineers in the pic are below about to install the rocket engine in the lower half of the craft.

Let me know what you guys think. This is my first ever "custom" project, besides following directions of those model kits as a kid. I know I am missing the fins on the bottom. The vehicle is within 1/18 scale using measurements from the data I collected. The pilot is the Admiral Toys' F-86 pilot with 21st Century head attached. If you look closely, you will see on the left his hand on the control stick and his right hand poised above the other control stick.

Thanks for looking!!!
Last edited by Razor17019 on Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:08 pm

Very interesting project Razor. Definately a very unusual plane. We might see Admiral Toys attempt some of these Luft 46 planes someday if were lucky. Good job.

Mark

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:26 pm

Hey guys , kamikaze. Was hoping to squirt some colour on the bird but thought I should get some photos through. The pilot and gunner from the 21stcentury stuka are inside, and the ruler pictured is a 305mm long ruler (12 inches?). I ran out of time with the details.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:32 pm

WOW Jay. Nice work!

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:37 pm

Hey razor, Your model is really thinking outside the square! The germans came up with some weird and wonderful flying contraptions.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:28 pm

Okay! The contest is over. I have made my decision. Thank you to those of you who participated in this Second contest.

Jay is the winner with his Me-110. Great looking body wings and canopy Jay. You should sell a few (basic body kits to the members of this forum. I think it would be well received. Overall execution of your build was very good. I can't wait to see it completed with paint and all the national marking.

Razor,
Your plane was the most original of the group. When I thought of this contest, I didn't think anyone would build a half rocket, half prop plane. You should complete it only if to be able to say you have a plane that is totally unique. Good job!

Catman,
I felt your plane was by far the hardest plane that has ever been attempted. Even I don't have the guts to try a Phantom. I couldn't even pick my nose well when I was your age. By the time your old enough to vote you may indeed own 21st!

Thank you again all of you for increasing intrest in our hobby and for participating in this contest.

The next contest will be an armor contest in the spring.

Mark

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:16 pm

Nice work guys!!!! well done.
"Next contest will be an armor contest in the spring" :shock: Can I enter? :wink:

Mark, your doing a great thing for the hobby. My hats off to Catman the youngest, Razor's Lerche II one of the coolest customs yet!!! and Jay's 110 which I hope goes into production soon. I want one! Great stuff guys.

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:20 pm

Nice job everyone!
Armor is next? That'll give everyone plenty of time to get started. :)