POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:21 pm

i find it hard to believe that JSI went to all the trouble designing and installing the lighting system in the special ed. F-14's just to make 250 of them, so i suspect there will be other lighted Tomcats in the future, albeit probably with different paint schemes.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:58 am

Any word on when these will get to retailers?

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:41 pm

the 16th what mts has posted now.

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:10 pm

Looks like someone didn't like polkadots camo...

phil

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:00 pm

exether_mega wrote:Looks like someone didn't like polkadots camo...

phil
I guess if someone really doesn't like their spotted F-14 and can't bear to send it back, they could model a diorama like that picture above. It would be expensive and pointless, but interesting nonetheless :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:55 am

well for all you guys who want answers and to know why jsi would release such an awful looking item such as this, i sent them an email. so hopefully we can know finally the truth behind what went wronge with the polka dot tomcat, and what they intend to do about it in the future.

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:37 pm

thatf14guy wrote:well for all you guys who want answers and to know why jsi would release such an awful looking item such as this, i sent them an email. so hopefully we can know finally the truth behind what went wronge with the polka dot tomcat, and what they intend to do about it in the future.
Uh, you don't really think JSI/Merit has such an outstanding customer relationship management system in place as TKO, do you?

They probably won't deign to answer your email. And why should they? There are people all over the place (BCA's blog comes to mind) insisting that Merit/JSI should NOT apologize for the F-14 fiasco and that we should be grateful that we got it in the first place, even at that price tag. There's even a guy suggesting that “We should give thanks to our troops away from home who just want to live another day or spend the holidays with their loved ones instead of argueing [sic] over a painted model toy airplane.”

Silly me. I thought the whole point of posting to online message boards and blogs dedicated to 1/18 scale military models was, among other things, discussing "model toy airplanes."

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:42 pm

I started writing a reply to that one KoF and ended up not posting it.

I was going to remind him that part of my combat incentive pays while deployed to Iraq this past year went to paying for the hefty pricetag of the SpotCat. At which point I think I was rambling and had one beer too many.

Meh...

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:02 pm

NWarty wrote:I started writing a reply to that one KoF and ended up not posting it.

I was going to remind him that part of my combat incentive pays while deployed to Iraq this past year went to paying for the hefty pricetag of the SpotCat. At which point I think I was rambling and had one beer too many.

Meh...
Don't get me wrong. I honestly and sincerly admire your sacrifice and everything you guys are doing while on deployment overseas, but I thought the 'cop-out' in the "we should just be thankful we got a spotty F-14 from JSI because there are people risking their lives overseas" (or out of a job, or a lot of people are in a tough situation) was rather silly in this context. It's a non sequitur. Of course, there are much more important things in life than a stupid chunk of plastic, but that does mean we should be happy about how this has turned out?

Anyway, please accept my apologies if you took offence.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:35 pm

well, thats just it with me, i served in the marines and the navy, so i know the sacrifice others have made all too well. so maybe i take this a little too personally, but thats just it, this plane is a replica of a military aircraft flown by the unithed states navy. and to me to see such a replica made like this, it needs to be taken seriously, and makes me wonder if jsi takes us seriously or if they think it is some kinda joke. its like my job now in construction, if i build or have someone build a wall in the wronge place or it looks like shit, or whatever, we have to tear it down, throw away all the pieces and try again. why didn't jsi do this? say "hey we made a bad batch of planes, but we got rid of them and are correcting the problem, there will be a delay, but we value our customers." but instead they release this ugly weathering polka dot pattern all over every aircraft. why? why would you do that if your a new company who needs to please their fans not upset them.

it could be pointless, but i figured it be worth a shot. cause i'm sure we hope they won't repeat this in the future with other releases.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:39 pm

No worries KoF! I didn't take it that way ;)

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:05 pm

lol, I was the one that said we SHOULD get an apology from JSI/MERIT...that dude at Bad Cat is a damn idiot if you ask me, and I agree the whole context of 'our troops fighting over seas' was way out of line. Our troops sacrafices are not to be used as a cop out when discussing a 'toy' or 'collectible', depending on which day it is for Bad Cat...

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:25 pm

Also, besides the fact that we were deceived concerning how the paint job would turn out, it now seems we have been decieved on the functionality of the plane as well...Canopy does not stay in open position, speed brake does not stay in open position, launch bar is loose, and radar dish is loose......I understand these can be easily fixed, but come on? What's the excuse this time? Surely it can't be the same excuse for the paint, 'The F-14 with a paint job like the paintmaster would cost much more!!!'

....uh..how much do you guys think it would have cost them to have the canopy stay in the open position? NOTHING

And though the canopy can be wedged...I really, REALLY don't want some wedge being seen clearly, to keep the canopy open, as I plan on displaying mine with the canopy open..

So, those who defend JSI/Merit...what's the excuse this time?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:33 pm

i tend to agree. They are charging 2 1/2 times what bbi charged for the F-18 and while it's better in many ways (as it should be) it's not in others. Stupid spots aside the canopy at least should stay open. Airbrakes and radar dishes are less important but the canopy is a major detail that many people are going to want to leave in the raised position.

If they're going to charge high prices they have to give high quality. It's like going to an expensive restaurant and being served a middle of the road meal. I know this is their first effort and things will no doubt improve.

I"m still just really sore about those stupid spots.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:35 pm

The canopy stays open on my BBI F-4 Phantom......OOPPPSSS, wrong scale... :D :D :D :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

SLRFAN
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SLRFAN » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:54 pm

Have you guys forgotten that the year is 2009,one of the worst recessions and the value of the dollar is the worst its ever been now since the 1970's which is part of the reason why were paying over 200+. You have to remember they're catering to a niche market meaning there retail outlets are small business websites not giant corporate companies like Wal-Mart or Toys R Us. Also the last time a 1/18 aircraft was released was back in 2006 so can we try to appreciate there attempt instead bashing every detail to death.Personally I can't wait to get mine and send it to tko for a repaint.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:17 pm

SLRFAN wrote:so can we try to appreciate there attempt instead bashing every detail to death.Personally I can't wait to get mine and send it to tko for a repaint.
SPOTS,SPOTS,SPOTS!!! :evil:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:22 pm

...and more spots.

ugly spots

unnecessary spots

dumb spots

the only good spot is a...well i really don't like the spots.

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:01 pm

Well my IP has been blocked from tales of the cat, sorry I didn't conform like most others

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:41 pm

Looks like Aiken's got their hands on the Special Edition F-14:

http://www.aikensairplanes.com/jsimodels.htm
Last edited by vulgarvulture on Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:55 am

those that has the cat be careful opening the canopy... the three mirror r easly snap...
whats up doc....

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:20 am

thatf14guy wrote:well, thats just it with me, i served in the marines and the navy, so i know the sacrifice others have made all too well. so maybe i take this a little too personally, but thats just it, this plane is a replica of a military aircraft flown by the unithed states navy. and to me to see such a replica made like this, it needs to be taken seriously, and makes me wonder if jsi takes us seriously or if they think it is some kinda joke. its like my job now in construction, if i build or have someone build a wall in the wronge place or it looks like ----, or whatever, we have to tear it down, throw away all the pieces and try again. why didn't jsi do this? say "hey we made a bad batch of planes, but we got rid of them and are correcting the problem, there will be a delay, but we value our customers." but instead they release this ugly weathering polka dot pattern all over every aircraft. why? why would you do that if your a new company who needs to please their fans not upset them.

it could be pointless, but i figured it be worth a shot. cause i'm sure we hope they won't repeat this in the future with other releases.

u need to get one,, the spot r only skin deep and tko can remdi that...

the detail on these r great....
whats up doc....

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:08 am

Anyone order from Aikens and get a shipping date?

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:37 am

look like f14 sold out
whats up doc....

KKH
Corporal
Corporal

Post by KKH » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:11 am

I 've ordered from Aikens and Big Bad toystore. Aikens says they will be arriving Monday and shipping out right away. Hopefully by end of the week...