1/18 Ho-229 Project Build ( Retired ) !!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/18 Ho-229 Build is Done !!!!! Finished Pics 10-13

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:36 pm

More pics
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:44 pm

that is awesome...does it come assembled and painted or is it a kit?
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:12 pm

HOLY SHITE!!!! :shock: Pardon the language but that is FREKING SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!

Can you take orders later on? I don't have the $ yet. :(
Last edited by flyboy_fx on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Matthew, it was great talking with you.
As you said its difficult to judge the scale in these pics, so I borrowed one of your earlier pics....

This Pickel 229 has a 3' wing span :shock: Just Fantastic!
Oh......the check (M.O.) is in the mail. :wink:
Normandy.

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:08 pm

This is too nice of a build to buy just one. To encourage more sales, how's about a special price if you buy more than one?

Some people already paid many months ago. So those who pre-paid have made more money in these last few months. Hopefully they'll be encouraged to cough up to buy just one more. My problem being, I just can't figure out which paint scheme to go with! But if I had more than one, that shouldn't be a problem anymore. Thus, if encouraged with a great price special, hopefully more can buy at least two of these finely made models...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:18 pm

That, I dare say, is your finest work yet. Amazing job :D

It really came out of nowhere - one week you seemed so far from completion, the next you're done!

Even despite the scary price, you could get quite a following with this 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:31 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Even despite the scary price, you could get quite a following with this 8)
I'm sure you weren't meaning to be critical, but I think the price is exceedingly fair. Even if you set aside the value of Matt's time to him, the workmanship and subject matter, and the fact that there will be no unsold stock of these sitting in a warehouse make Matt's price a great value. Remember what we paid for our Tomcats, and look at what the BBi jets are going for on eBay. In that context, the price is very reasonable. Honestly, I think these birds might well be a good investment over the years, relative to other 1/18 models. I could see one going for double this price on eBay in a few years.

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:07 pm

The cost also reflects the "scary price" of RTV and Resign. Just think how many molds will be needed to cast all the parts. :?
I'd love one of these 229's for a $100 but that wouldn't cover the cost of RTV for one wing, forget the resign to fill it.
I do agree the price is fair and Pickel is not going to get rich on our purchases, he's covering the cost of a project that I and others asked him to make.
Unfortunately custom work costs more than mas-produced projects.

Jackson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Jackson » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Magister et Simulacrum...just a Masterpiece Spikedude...can't wait to get my hands on one of 'em....
ya gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:16 pm

I agree, you see a major company using an assembly line will figure out exactly what it costs to make a product (materials, labor, fixed costs, operating costs) then compare that to the highest price they could get for it in an open market and then meet in the middle producing the "price point". This is the best price for the item as it is the price at which the most profit can be had but also the most units can be sold. Mathew is not using this method to price his Horton. Who knows really how many have been spent, I have a rough idea of the amount of time I spend on my projects but its not exact and I figure Mathew is the same. If you add up his time plus the amount of $ just needed to buy the resin that each kit will need to make it, $300 is incredibly low... Dont get me started on the finished painted version, I dont know whos going to do the final assembly and painting but they are doing it for next to nothing, common? $100 to build a how many piece? resin model, finish it, paint it, detail it... decal it... have you guys seen Jacksons decals!! they are amazing! but it takes skill, those little gauges in the cockpit are not all one decal... Im cool with it- Im going to love building this thing but in all reality I would be very surprised if 90% of the orders for this thing are not the kit but the full build for $400

PS. If Skyworks toys had made something like this it would not look as good as this and they would want upwards of a grand for one... They wanted $400 for just the Komet painted :lol: :lol:

greendevil41
Corporal
Corporal

Post by greendevil41 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:47 pm

New member here and I've been watching this thread with great interest. This is truly an inspired piece of modeling. For those of us trying to catch up here, a couple of questions.
Landing gear options: I'm presuming from the pics the landing gear does not fold up, (although the strut articulation sure looks like it could!). Is the landing gear removable to display the plane in flight? Also, possibly a silly question but will there be clear plastic on the canopy on the finished plane?
I'm seeing references to pre-ordered/ pre-paid models. Is there a way to still get in on ordering one of these? How long is the current waiting list?
Again, congrats on producing something unique that showcases some awesome talent!
As for the price, no complaints at all. Your not going to see these at Walmart!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:38 am

Lots of questions to answer.

I normally give discount to multiple buyers. I think the price point is low already $300 for the kit $400 for the full build.

I have not started making the moulds yet so trying to stick with the original price point is a " deal" already.

As stated before $300 of the unassembled kit $400 for fully built and painted model.
The landing gear will pop in and pop out. There was tons of work making all of the parts. Making them work well that is another story. The gear can be posed deployed or buttoned up. Modeler's choice.The way I have made them the only issue will be the main wheel covers. They snap in place but if deployed they need to tack glued onto the strut for display. All of the other linkages can be assembled with out glue.

The canopy will be vacuum formed. I made the pieces separate for strength and ease of painting.

You can always buy anything I make at any time . But it is always better to place your order during production.
I have a few guy's patiently waiting for their orders to be filled ( Indy side cars , Sdkfz 222 and M-10 ) after the 229 build. Hang in their guys not too much longer.

I think that covers all of the questions.

You hold outs can submit your deposits now.

Remember to get in on the $300-$400 sale you must be paid in full by the dead line . After I post that announcement. The sale will run about 2 weeks ( after posting ) once RTV is ordered . That will be approx in one week.

But you guys who can pay in full , you can do so anytime you want until then.

Thanks to all of you guys who have supported me with encouragement on this project. It was fun but it became long in the tooth . Aircraft seems so much harder to do than armor. My T-34 took about 6 weeks to build. I gave up keeping track of time on the 229.

Guys this thing does look cool and for you all who are getting just wait till you get it in your hands :D :D :D

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:39 am

Double Post :roll:

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:52 am

Let's see a pic next to a 262!

-Kevin

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:19 am

gburch wrote:I'm sure you weren't meaning to be critical, but I think the price is exceedingly fair.
Actually not meaning to be critical at all. I've bought from PH many times in the past and understand the work and materials involved versus the price point. I am giving serious consideration to this, particularly a full build as I'm feeling a bit lazy with taking on a new project :P
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:33 pm

That looks fantastic PH!! I think you did another incredible job and i can't wait to see a final painted version.. 8)
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

snake

Post by snake » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Finished prototype model looks great, PH!

A labour of love on your part, that turned out fantastic.

Really enjoyed watching your progress on this project. 8)

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:34 am

I just went back and checked the first post in the original Horten thread. Matt proposed this project back in January of this year. Given that he's been running a business the whole time and doing other 1/18 work along the way, the progress Matt's made on this project is amazing. If we end up getting our kits one year after work started, we can count ourselves very fortunate indeed to have someone like Matt in our community.

smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by smittyrob64 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:00 am

You did a beautiful job, it is a work of art. Can't wait to see what they look like painted up.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:47 am

gburch wrote:I just went back and checked the first post in the original Horten thread. Matt proposed this project back in January of this year. Given that he's been running a business the whole time and doing other 1/18 work along the way, the progress Matt's made on this project is amazing. If we end up getting our kits one year after work started, we can count ourselves very fortunate indeed to have someone like Matt in our community.

Considering how long it takes the pros to issue a new model with all the resources at their disposal what Matt does should bring shame upon them.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:58 pm

PM Sent for final payment! :D

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:12 am

beautiful!!!!!
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:40 am

BTW, Matt, when you get a chance, PM or email me to confirm you got my final payment.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:05 pm

PM sent, just to clarify my payment/shipping.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Final payment sent :) I think I am up to date but let me know if anything comes up.
Thanks Matthew for all the hard work so far.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"