POST JSI F-14 SPOT REPAIR IDEAS HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Semtex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: POST JSI F-14 SPOT REPAIR IDEAS HERE/ VF-154 MATCHING CO

Post by Semtex » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Hello!

I've just joined the forum and must say that as an 1.18 Tomcat owner I found remarkable help specially about correcting the paint spots problem: My VF-84 just waits for a bit of time and among the suggestions I chose the aerograph spraying of the light gull gray from Testors...

Agreeing with many other members I think we must accept the fact that for the price we get a (relatively) well made item, its size of course being its main feature...

Just have a look at the quality of a Tamiya 1.32 Cat... But it's a kit and have a look too at its price...

I should say now that I was much disapointed when I received my VF-154's and maybe someone will be able to help me correcting what is the most visible problem: a big gap between the base of the canopy and the fuselage... Having disassembled the whole front fuselage I tried to give it a bit more curvature under hot water but that did not fix the problem... I don't see any other solution: either leaving the canopy open for display, or maybe trying to lower the front part of the canopy on which the main part comes when closed??...

If someone has any idea it will be welcome... It's seems a common problem with many 1.18th aircraft: much of my BBI F-18s show the same inaccuracy...

About quality: I have to add another problem, and here again maybe someone will help: my Black Knights' was purchased last year at Aviatornut... I had not the time (nor the space!) to assemble it and it sat since in its box... When I discovered that the guys in China had put in the box twice the right stabilizer!... Of course I can use my second one for the left side but then it's upsidedown of course and shows its underneath: no more "no step" markings, and the awful "2 parts assembly seam"...

I sent two emails to Aviatornut, two other ones to Merit Int'l (thinking that as distributors and makers of the second version they could have the part) in order to swap one of my right stabilizers with the right part (left one): .... and got no answer at all...

So, what should I say about quality and aftersale service about these F-14s?...

Finally I must say that I don't know what they make with the main fuselage before packing it but on mine, both air intakes upper edges are lightly broken and will need some puty and repainting... By the way, did anyone find the matching color for these second version as was the case with Testors LGG for the VF-54's?...

Thanks for any suggestion!

JJ

wolf8564
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: POST JSI F-14 SPOT REPAIR IDEAS HERE

Post by wolf8564 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:57 pm

I still cannot get over the fact that A. they had someone painting who did not know what they were doing and after seeing them let them continue painting and B. that they actually shipped them out like that. Its not really a big thing for me to repaint. but some collectors do not have the means to paint it I know it would cost someone at least $100.00 to have it repainted that on top of the retail price. I am surprised that more people didn't return them .

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: POST JSI F-14 SPOT REPAIR IDEAS HERE

Post by Beeavision » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:55 am

I had a similar issue with the F-16 freedom fighter edition. I had doubles of a few items and was left without others. I purchased it from Flying Mule and when I contacted them by e-mail I received a quick response the next day followed by a call from the store's owner who immediately sent out the missing parts with no hassle.