21 inch R/C PBR Patrol Boat

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
zodiacflash
Corporal
Corporal

Re: 21 inch R/C PBR Patrol Boat

Post by zodiacflash » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:18 pm

Finally painted the 50's and the M60 black. Painted the Mk18 a dark OD green. I don't have any Vietnam figures, but I'm trying to put some modern Joes in that I think work for now.

Shipwreck in the coxswain's stand

Female sailor about to load and man the front 50's

A couple of fellas on the rear decks

I got a 6C 3000 mAh NiMH battery. The instructions say to put the battery between the motors, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense given that would throw the center of gravity, if the battery would even fit. Rafael Lopez is a developer at Proboat and he has a video on youtube that clears up the confusion. The receiver for my boat is a little far in from the side, so the red rectangle in this pic shows how I install my battery for the best balance.

A couple of days ago I took the PBR to a great pond at George Bush Park in far west Houston. The wind was a little much. Despite getting blown around like crazy, it handled very well. I took it up to top speed once, and only for a few seconds. It was ridiculously fast! Proboat says the top speed is 15 MPH. Calculate that for a 1:18 scale boat, and keep in mind the actual PBR's topped out at a little over 30. Anyone remember "Ludicrous Speed" from Spaceballs? I had no problems with water getting into the hull, though if you pull some hard turns at a good speed, I imagine it'll get some. All the while, my Shipwreck figure stayed in the coxswain's stand and never fell. All I did was sort of wedge him in standing with his back against the back panel and his arms pushing on the controls.
Last edited by zodiacflash on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:37 pm

Do the twin .50's in the front turn? Or do you have to get another servo to make that work? Great looking boat. You need some 21st Century original Vietnam figures to really add some color to your boat. Send me a PM, if you are interested.
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

YT

Post by YT » Tue May 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks for the update. Mine is on back order for a while longer .
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

zodiacflash
Corporal
Corporal

Post by zodiacflash » Tue May 02, 2017 10:07 pm

Razor17019 wrote:Do the twin .50's in the front turn? Or do you have to get another servo to make that work? Great looking boat. You need some 21st Century original Vietnam figures to really add some color to your boat. Send me a PM, if you are interested.
Razor
Razor-
Yes the twin 50's turn. The station swivels but it doesn't snap down in place, so it lifts right up. You can install a servo to make it turn. The manual tells you what kind to get. You'd also need a new controller. Thanks for the offer about the figs, I'll think about it. Anyway, I just saw that Proboat has a USCG 47 ft boat that looks really good. 30.75 inches long puts it right about at 1:18. It's just under $600, so I'm looking at some overtime at work. And knocking a wall out in my hobby room.
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue May 02, 2017 10:43 pm

YT wrote:Thanks for the update. Mine is on back order for a while longer .
Mine too... But hopefully not for much longer!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:53 am

The Proboat PBR Model I had backordered in May through my local Hobbytown USA store finally came in the other day... It was worth the wait 8)

Minimal assembly was required and the model basically pulled out of the box entirely complete with only the flag and a couple antennas needing to be installed. The model is spot on 1/18 scale and the 21c Vietnam figures look great crewing it. I am trying to decide if I should use the Platoon-style articulated figures of some of my first series 21c Vietnam figures...

The model is quite detailed with the deck machine guns and grenade launcher, various items of stowage, etc. I really like the front turret which rotates by hand and has elevating guns. The wheelhouse is detailed with the controls, radar, compass, and even a couple seats for the coxswain. The other side of the front compartment has a fire extinguisher and some sort of stowage rack.

I have not gotten the battery nor had the chance to run the boat on the water just yet, but I am glad to have finally gotten one and its a great addition to my 1/18 Vietnam collection :D

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

YT

Post by YT » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Awesome! Mine just shipped Friday from Hobby Zone, I had honestly forgot I ordered it.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton