"Tender Terror"

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:17 am

Well I'm not looking for compensation. I just would like to have one of these since his name is on the side of it. It's just nice to think there is something very special out there with his name on it. By the way the few you guys have seen sell what did they go for so I know I'm not getting hosed. I'd like to get one in a box. I may have someone make one for me if this doesn't work out since I have no skill I this area.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:31 am

A couple of years ago they were going for $500-$800, if my memory is correct. But now the manufacturer is out of business and that may be a reason to expect even higher prices. Now there will also be a number of other collectors that will be wanting to get their hands on one too. I would say that if one became availible you would would easily matchd the $500 to $800 range even with the down economy. Just my $.02 since there is no way to base it on fact, with no known transactions in the recent past.

Kris

Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:55 pm

*SIGH* 5-8 is alot of dough. I may take pickel up on his idea of having someone make me one. Still waiting to see if I get a response from All-Go. I think pickel should just sell me his LOL JK. I don't want to pressure anyone with this. I just wish I knew about this 4 years ago.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:37 pm

tko211 wrote:I doubt that All-Go will produce the Tender Terror. They will likely preserve the value of the 21C produced birds and rather select different schemes for the P-51D mold.
This is pretty much the answer I would expect from All Go. Wish it would have been a better answer for you. There are many capable, skilled members here that might be able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction. You might start some leg work by beating the bushes for a cheap "Old Crow" for a foundation for your custom, for that would save some of the nose work for the 357th fighter.

Kris

Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:13 am

Algo was a no go. My wife located someone willing to sell one. I was wondering if you guys are more familiar with the different nose art. I understand there were a few different ones.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:46 am

I am not familiar with any nose art variations, but I don't own one either to reference. the one on SSHQ shows no nose art, but PH's has nose art. :?

vmf214
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by vmf214 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:06 pm

All the TT's have the same noseart. The pics on the database site are workbench photo's of WIP.

Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:17 pm

The database article talks about different nose art. Also pickels plane is different than the one I'm looking at.

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:52 pm

You are referring to the "one of several nose art panels" that were the actual prize and not TT itself. The noseart panels were given away as prizes to of which only 10 were made and are numbered. 4 guys won them automatically because they were "double aces" in that they bought more than the minimum 4 190's and the other 6 panels were given away via random drawing. They measured about 14 x14" and depicted the fuse art of the Red 3 Fw-190D. The panels were done up by Roy Sutherland and he and tko conducted the drawing. If you're looking at a TT that's different than pickels, then something is amiss.. :wink: Unless, perhaps the unissued 3 were never completely finished and someone other than Roy finished them. Hard to say. Hopefully you get a real one.

Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Oh okay thank you for clarifying. Ya the one I'm looking at is exactly what the database photos are and is in box.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Fierce1 wrote:Oh okay thank you for clarifying. Ya the one I'm looking at is exactly what the database photos are and is in box.
The guys are right in order to be a Tender T It needs to look like mine.

I will try and make some more pics this weekend.But I will keep it in the box.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Ofcourse pickel but much appreciated

Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:49 pm

Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:50 pm

:)

ele
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ele » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:35 pm

I am the owner the the above Tender Terror that Fierce1 posted pictures of, bought last Nov from the same individual who sold JohnLumley the desert prototype and I think whom many other members here also bought 21st century stuff from him through eBay.

Like tko211 said in a previous post about having a strong feeling about the desert prototype being from the old 21C archive vault, I believe this plane also comes from there and is one of the few 21st C kept in their collection.

I wonder if tko211 or any ex-21st C employee can shed some light on who got a hold of the 21 C collection after the company went under. sshq database says 21 C had kept 3 TTs in their collection. Where did the rest go?

Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:38 pm

I appreciate the info from all you guys on here. Ele I hope I haven't offended you or upset you by posting this. I also understand that I'm supposed to go through a six month wait here. With my little knowledge of these things I was confused as to why the slight difference in the planes. I only wanted to make sure I'm doing right by me. I am still very interested and will be in contact. Thank you all. Ryan

Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:30 am

Anyone want to shed some light on this?

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:55 pm

on what?

Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:00 pm

Look at the difference in pickel's plane and ele's. There is no name or picture on the side.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:52 am

My opinion here is only discussion of values and not any confirmation or rebut of the claims others have made about the planes. There may be a hint of the lineage of the one without the nose art, but its not complete and without documentation or direct confirmation from the 21st Century "inner circle" it would only be of value as a custom. The Holy Grail of 1/18 P-51Ds will be the fully documented "Tender Terror" mint in the box, but if there can be solid proof provided for the unfinished TT being a promotional unfinished extra then it may have some value above a pure custom. If the later is the case then to me it wouldn't make sense to pay a premium for and then finish it with nose art and pilots name and markings. Its higher value would be only retained in its unfinished state. Completing it would again make it a custom and only hold the value of a custom.

Now I have given no figures as to value, because the true value of an item of this nature is whatever the buyer is willing to pay and whatever the seller agrees to let it go for. So I would think the most important question to ask is what are you looking for...

1) Do you want a fully documented completely detailed Tender Terror which will be the most expensive, IF you can find one for sale.

2) Do you want a special extra unfinished item from 21st Century Toys that will most likely devalue if you have it completed with the missing details.

or 3) Do you want a 1/18 scale well detailed Tender Terror custom due to your connection to this particular warbird.

To me the three questions above are what you need to address before you make any choice on what to purchase. I do understand that your question was directed at the authenticity of the no nose are TT, but I have no information to provide. Sorry if this doesn't realy help you.

Fierce1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fierce1 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:59 am

Well I'm not questioning it's authenticity. I do think what ele said makes sense. In the world of collectibles things with manufacturer misprints and unfinished items are much more valuable than complete ones. I'm only dissapointed because the lack of his name. It's still his plane none the less. With the limited production of this plane the chances of getting one as we know are slim. There are many things I have to take into consideration. Just my 2 cents.

gofastgtr
Corporal
Corporal

Re: "Tender Terror"

Post by gofastgtr » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Fierce1 wrote:I am wondering if you guys could help me. I am interested in locating a Tender Terror P51 mustang from 21 st century toys. This was my grandfather's plane in WWII. He recently passed away and it would mean alot to my family to have one of these. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
I know I'm new here, but I'm thinking of selling my whole collection I was going to keep my "Tender Terror", but I might be willing to let it go. I'm going to be out on a ship for the week, but i'll be back for the weekend and be able to respond.

Jason

Edit: Mods - just read the 6 month rule. Delete if you need to, sorry. If you need proof that I have it, I can send pics. It seems to be rare that these come up.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:23 am

If your TT came from the same source selling the infamous Me-109, then it's gotta be from the 21C vault. I know that there were the original planes that were made individually for each of the participants of the 4 for V promotion. That number is very low something like 25-30 planes in all.

There were in fact 3 others in various stages of completion in the Vault. I can confirm that the Source that sold the 109 to John Lumley is indeed from 21C so this seems to add up. So enjoy your TT for sure, you have a rare piece and a great story. Sadly though, without it's completion and ESPECIALLY without it's signed companion document from 21C it's tough in terms of resale, it hard to place value. though as pointed out price is in the eye of the beholder. Most folks looking for that item would want the certificate and insist on it in fact. Others perhaps won't care.

Likely this is indeed one of the 21C TT's and the certificate for it was lost. There was 1 certificate for each plane made!

tko211

Post by tko211 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:01 am

So I am looking at the pics posted by Fierce1 and ele and it looks to me to be a REAL prototype / shell Tender Terror from the 21C vault.

I know EXACLY how these were made and what stages they went through and all the tell tell signs are there that this looks to be a genuine un-finished TT. I have several ways to cross check this and I have opened communication with both ELE and Fierce1 to see if I can fill in the blanks properly. If so, and if I can verify some of details I know to look for and can verify with ALL-Go the vault qty I am inclined to produce, sign and document this plane as one of the vault prototypes / shell planes used to produce a final TT.

I would do this and recommend it be added to documentation records for the purpose of protecting the values of the TT's for all of those that own them now and in the future. ELE deserves to know exactly and finally what he has...

gofastgtr
Corporal
Corporal

Post by gofastgtr » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:29 pm

[img]
The real deal
Last edited by gofastgtr on Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.