POST PAK 40 & NEW HALFTRACK FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:05 am

tkjaer21 wrote:Also, both of the Norman Wal-Marts had the and M-48. The East side one has a Stockpile of Mig 15s and one M-48 left as well. I new I should have picked up the F-86 from either of the Wal-Mart. The only thing that has kept from buying it is the fact that I already own the Admiral Toys version and do not want to duplicate as I am running out of space. Especially since the F-16 is on the way.
Thanks!!! Maybe there is hope for Tulsa afterall.. :?
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:01 pm

Bingo!!!
I found the StukaZU Fuss, M16, Pak40 and Pioneerwagon at one Walmart.. Left with 3 out of 4.. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:24 pm

hworth18 wrote:Right now, the Okla-Tex area is in NO MANS LAND.... Nothing new coming in, and the old hanging around like a bad penny... :?
Guess its not that way any more :D See, items always move across the country when they show up in the west, less so the other way!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:40 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:
hworth18 wrote:Right now, the Okla-Tex area is in NO MANS LAND.... Nothing new coming in, and the old hanging around like a bad penny... :?
Guess its not that way any more :D See, items always move across the country when they show up in the west, less so the other way!
Well, I still have yet to see a 32x Corsair or Stuka, but thanks to my buddies in the West (Tman and Bruzzer) they are keeping me well stocked.. :wink:
-Howard Stark

mediump
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by mediump » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:18 pm

Hworth, I had a feeling you would find these soon. It seems like we both usually find the same stuff at about the same time, and our recon reports are usually the same.
When down from the clouds with our weapons of Hell, we drop to avenge our friends who fell.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:45 pm

mediump wrote:Hworth, I had a feeling you would find these soon. It seems like we both usually find the same stuff at about the same time, and our recon reports are usually the same.
I hope we (NM and OK) on a similar schedule for arrivals as that lets me know what is coming my way.. The Stuka Zu Fuss is AWESOME, and the M16, PaK40 are nice too, I am selling both off since I don't typically collect armor, but I may end up keeping the M16..
On a side note, I only found these at 1 Walmart out of 5, but more may show up soon.. :wink:
-Howard Stark

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:04 am

That's good news Harry. I should be seeing a few in San Antonio soon. We are all on watch here.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:34 am

Any chance to have a review of the M16 and Pioneer Hanomag ? What's good or bad ? Also, any more pics ?

phil

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:44 am

bird wrote:I'm still waiting for these to appear at online retailers :cry:
C'mon smalljoes!!!
Most of the time the small dealer's dont get new items untill months after WM gets them.
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by warhawker » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:10 am

Found the 'four pack' yesterday at a WM here in Dallas!
Pak 40
Panzerwagon
Stuka zu fuss
M16 halftrack

Picked up the M16 and the detail is great!
Mark, you should start to see them down in San Antonio very soon.
Now if we could ony start seeing the new 3 ton German truck and German Halftrack SDKFZ.4 we maybe caught up here in Texas.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:30 am

If I can find the bloody things I'll put a few aside for you. I am going to be spending Christmas in Flower Mound this year. It sounds like I need to pack some boxes and shipping tape. :wink:

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:53 am

Hmm, hopefully us East coast guys will see them before next Christmas! :lol:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Rowsdower

Re: East Coast finds

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:59 pm

Flammenpanzer wrote:I just found all the 4 new sets on the Floruda Space Coast. They must be shipped as a four pack since they had only one of each.
:shock: Thanks for the info! I will have to hit all the area WMs tomorrow, good thing it's payday! I hope I can snag at least one, the one of each deal kinda stinks.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:42 pm

exether_mega wrote:Any chance to have a review of the M16 and Pioneer Hanomag ? What's good or bad ? Also, any more pics ?

phil
OK, here's my review for the Pak-40, Stuka zu Fuss, and M-16 (I sold the Pioneerwagen that I found to another boardmember). I apologise in advance if some of my technical descriptions lack the proper terminology...

The Pak-40 comes in the standard German Panzer gray color with mud weathering on the wheels and front shield. The front shield has a removable shovel. The piece is exceptionally well detailed including all hand cranks, gears, wheel detail, etc. The barrel recoils and the breach opens so that a shell can be partially inserted. The barrek can also elevate and the gunsight also moves when in sync with the barrel. The support arms can lock together for towing and have a hitch. The gun can be towed by the SDK-251 Hannomag quite easily. The support legs are well detailed with moveable positioning handles, carrying handles and removable sighting rods.
The Pak-40 also comes with 3 crates and 9 shells that go in the crates. A figure (BoB2 style German open-coat infantry) is included with all the accessories. My only complaint with this piece is that the breach can be a little stiff to open, otherwise it is actually my favorite piece in the new armor assortment! Here's a couple shots of my Pak-40 in action. It is in a sort of "diorama box" I made to move it around easily while in displayed fashion:

Image Image

The Stuka zu Fuss is a neat modification to make to the XD SDK-251 hannomag! The vehicle itself required little modification. There are four rocket rack pieces, (rear, 2 middle & front) consisting of the replicated metal supports and the wood frames. They sort of hang on the side of the hanomag on little niches carved onto the top of the vehicle siding. Thus they are loose and can fall off easily. The Wurfram (sp?) rockets are removable and come in the 32cm napalm and 28cm explosive variants. The larger rockets are mounted in the rear racks. The cover over the driver's seat is removable and does not have the front MG. The hooks for the Panzershrek weapon and spare wheel on the origional hanomag have been removed and filled in. The interior is exactly the same as the standard XD SDK-251.
The accessories included were the box, briefcase, and jerry-can from the origional hanomag. No figure was included. My only complaints with the vehicle are minor: no front MG and no figure. Other than that, this is a really neat hannomag variant with a great ambush paintscheme. Here's a couple action shots of the Stuka zu Fuss, showing the vehicle in a diorama and a detail shot of the rockets:

Image Image

Now for the M-16. This is a rather ingenious piece of engineering by 21c in that they took an existing mould (the M3 Halftrack) and extensively modified it into a new vehicle. The front is still basically the same with the opening engine, stowage, and movable armor shields for the windows. The bumber has been changed from the roller to large frame with tow winch. The driver's position is still largely the same save that the .50 MG mount has been removed.
The bed has been extensively modified with new seats and of course the quad .50 MG turret. The bed has been nicely detailed with extra ammo canisters. The new modifications were simply attached over the floor of the existing M3 halftrack mould. The turret is a well-executed piece of engineering and is as complex as the turret on the XD Avenger. It rotates and the guns elevate. The interior is detailed with the turret motor, battery, seat and controls and there is a gunsight for the gunner. The ammo cans are not removable. A figure will fit in the turret, though its a very tight squeeze and you have to remove the lower portion of the legs (and watch you don't break the turret as you get the figure in!)
The vehicle comes with the rear stowage accessories as on the origional halftrack as well as the mines, but does not include a figure. My biggest complaints with the M-16 concern the turret rotation and lack of figure. It is very difficult to turn the turret a complete 360 degrees as the ammo canisters protrude just a little too much. Either shortening those by a few milimeters or having simply razed the base a little would have avoided this. All in all, however, it is a really cool modification of an existing vehicle and is quite origional and very well detailed. Here's some action shots of that vehicle as well, including one detailing the interior:

Image Image Image

...and see? These pieces are all the way across the country now! If only items would move that fast going east to west :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:00 am

Great reviews tman. That pak 40 looks amazing the way you have it set up. Looks like the Tamiya model kit. Awesome attention to detail. (incidentally, for future reference the 'support arms' are called the trails).

The zu fuss is perfectly correct without the front machine gun. Many pics of zu fuss's show it without any front gun. I don't know why...perhaps for no other reason than these vehciles were not intended to operate in the front lines so it was deemed a second gun was unnecessary and better used elsewhere. The interior being identical to the original hanomag is also perfectly correct. Extra rockets were often carried inside the vehicle, lying on the seats and floor. The rockets were shipped in the wooden crates. The only mod to the interior would be a conduit on each side which carried the wires that ran from the back of each rocket, up over the top of the crew compartment sides and forward to the driving compartment where they went to a junction box for firing.

The exact method of firing the rockets is the matter of some debate. The general opinion has been that they were fired from a distance, with a long wire connecting to the halftrack somewhere, but nobody seems to know where. However, in the only good picture of a zu fuss firing, there is absolutely no evidence of a wire connecting to the halftrack (it's an overhead shot, so you'd be able to see it if there was one).

The lack of this wire must mean that the rockets were either fired by timer (unlikely) or by a crewman, who would be sitting up front in the driving compartment, where i think he would be pretty well protected from the rockets' blast. This is my own personal theory, which has won some acceptance on missing lynx after a bit of debate. No proof either way but seems the most likely to me.

The M16 also looks sweet. Odd that there is a bit of a clearance problem for the turret but it may have been a very tight fit on the real thing, with only millimeters of clearance (which is all you need really). Does make engineering a scale model pretty tricky though. TTT may have some comments about this.

Very nice to see these hitting the east coast.....maybe soon they'll be in buffalo/niagra falls and i can go pilaging. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:47 am

tmanthegreat wrote:
exether_mega wrote:Any chance to have a review of the M16 and Pioneer Hanomag ? What's good or bad ? Also, any more pics ?

phil
OK, here's my review for the Pak-40, Stuka zu Fuss, and M-16 (I sold the Pioneerwagen that I found to another boardmember). I apologise in advance if some of my technical descriptions lack the proper terminology...

The Pak-40 comes in the standard German Panzer gray color with mud weathering on the wheels and front shield. The front shield has a removable shovel. The piece is exceptionally well detailed including all hand cranks, gears, wheel detail, etc. The barrel recoils and the breach opens so that a shell can be partially inserted. The barrek can also elevate and the gunsight also moves when in sync with the barrel. The support arms can lock together for towing and have a hitch. The gun can be towed by the SDK-251 Hannomag quite easily. The support legs are well detailed with moveable positioning handles, carrying handles and removable sighting rods.
The Pak-40 also comes with 3 crates and 9 shells that go in the crates. A figure (BoB2 style German open-coat infantry) is included with all the accessories. My only complaint with this piece is that the breach can be a little stiff to open, otherwise it is actually my favorite piece in the new armor assortment! Here's a couple shots of my Pak-40 in action. It is in a sort of "diorama box" I made to move it around easily while in displayed fashion:

Image Image

The Stuka zu Fuss is a neat modification to make to the XD SDK-251 hannomag! The vehicle itself required little modification. There are four rocket rack pieces, (rear, 2 middle & front) consisting of the replicated metal supports and the wood frames. They sort of hang on the side of the hanomag on little niches carved onto the top of the vehicle siding. Thus they are loose and can fall off easily. The Wurfram (sp?) rockets are removable and come in the 32cm napalm and 28cm explosive variants. The larger rockets are mounted in the rear racks. The cover over the driver's seat is removable and does not have the front MG. The hooks for the Panzershrek weapon and spare wheel on the origional hanomag have been removed and filled in. The interior is exactly the same as the standard XD SDK-251.
The accessories included were the box, briefcase, and jerry-can from the origional hanomag. No figure was included. My only complaints with the vehicle are minor: no front MG and no figure. Other than that, this is a really neat hannomag variant with a great ambush paintscheme. Here's a couple action shots of the Stuka zu Fuss, showing the vehicle in a diorama and a detail shot of the rockets:

Image Image

Now for the M-16. This is a rather ingenious piece of engineering by 21c in that they took an existing mould (the M3 Halftrack) and extensively modified it into a new vehicle. The front is still basically the same with the opening engine, stowage, and movable armor shields for the windows. The bumber has been changed from the roller to large frame with tow winch. The driver's position is still largely the same save that the .50 MG mount has been removed.
The bed has been extensively modified with new seats and of course the quad .50 MG turret. The bed has been nicely detailed with extra ammo canisters. The new modifications were simply attached over the floor of the existing M3 halftrack mould. The turret is a well-executed piece of engineering and is as complex as the turret on the XD Avenger. It rotates and the guns elevate. The interior is detailed with the turret motor, battery, seat and controls and there is a gunsight for the gunner. The ammo cans are not removable. A figure will fit in the turret, though its a very tight squeeze and you have to remove the lower portion of the legs (and watch you don't break the turret as you get the figure in!)
The vehicle comes with the rear stowage accessories as on the origional halftrack as well as the mines, but does not include a figure. My biggest complaints with the M-16 concern the turret rotation and lack of figure. It is very difficult to turn the turret a complete 360 degrees as the ammo canisters protrude just a little too much. Either shortening those by a few milimeters or having simply razed the base a little would have avoided this. All in all, however, it is a really cool modification of an existing vehicle and is quite origional and very well detailed. Here's some action shots of that vehicle as well, including one detailing the interior:

Image Image Image

...and see? These pieces are all the way across the country now! If only items would move that fast going east to west :wink:

Thanks a lot for the review and pics :D

I have ordered the M16 and Pionnerwagen and I think I will order the Stuka Zu Fuss and a Pak40 too !

I hope the massive wave anounced by 21St will continue as I hope to see a King Tiger !

phil

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:04 am

Hey Guys,
Travelling this weekend to Tennessee from Kentucky.
Anyone in the Nashville area find any of the new halftracks or Pak-40??

Let me know.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

digger

cool

Post by digger » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:52 am

Wow Tman, great pics and reviews, and great insight by Andrew. Breakdowns like that are what this board is about. Good stuff guys...now as others have said...gotta geet me some.. :D

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:14 am

Dug up some poor pics and drawings on the M-16. I have far clearer M-16 "official" pics from Army manuals but I have to dig them out.

You can see in the drawings that the quad mount didn't leave much room in the half-track. In fact the top of the two sides are "notched" to allow the quad mount "tombstone" ammo drums to rotate.Image

Hope this helps.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

digger

hhmm..

Post by digger » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:20 am

Interesting..so a nice mod would be to shave a bit of the sides off like in the pic to give the "dip" and allow for clearance.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:44 am

that would be an interesting little mod....funny, i never noticed that notch before.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:53 pm

Before you go happily cutting up stuff, (you customizers you) making notches in the sides, please remember that the 21C version is correct as a M-3 converted to M-16. The original floor of the M-3 (with the leg room in the center of the bed) was raised to make a flat floor to alow the quad mount to fire over the sides of the body, without the drop down tops.

I've been kind of busy with "real life hassles" that limit my usually unlimited time to devote to toys. Give me a little time and I'll dig up original half-track manual pics showing the M-3 converted to M-16.

You know, if 21C keeps on "making my day", with all this new stuff, I may be leaning towards leaving the "dark side" and coming back to 1/18 full time.......now if I can only find this stuff in the NE ao. :wink:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

MandaloreSC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MandaloreSC » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:38 pm

Is tko211s friend the only person who has found the Pak-40 Hanomag yet? The talk here is always about the "4 new items", but its 5. The Pak-40, Stuka zu Fuss, Panzerpionierwagen, Pak-40 Halftrack and M-16 Halftrack. If these items come in cases of 4, whats the mystery behind the Pak-40 Hanomag? It's not part of this case of 4 (?).