New Merit 1/18 DAUNTLESS DISCUSSION

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: New Merit 1/18 DAUNTLESS DISCUSSION

Post by DocTodd » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Cool
Todd

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Just came across this information today by accident. Not sure if this is true or not but it seems HobbyBoss is planing on constructing a 1:18 static model of the SBD Dauntless. I wonder if they are who Merit is currently working with on this particular project. The picture below is supposedly from a HobbyBoss 2012-2013 catalog on future releases.

http://www.hobbyboss.com/plus/list.php?tid=7

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:21 pm

That's interesting. The same? A cool option, maybe cheaper and if successful, and maybe more different ones will be made.

I also find it interesting there's a 1:32 P-61 Black Widow picture next to it. I can't tell, but it looks like a Gloster Meteor in 1:32 next to it? Wingscale or WingXL were suppose to be working on both.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:39 pm

1:32 F-84G Thunderjet

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:44 pm

A Thunderjet. Checked their website, it's an existing model. Same company that makes the 1:32 Stormovich.

The 1:32 P-61 is new. That'll be cool.

Looking at the Merit SBD, it's the same "B-10" Dauntless. Looks to be from the same profile pic too, hmm.
http://www.merit-intl.com/month/mil-88001.html

Thanks for sharing that info Beeavision. I hope 1:18 catches on in the model industry.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:15 pm

hobbyboss was working on a 1/18 dauntlass kit before but then dropped the project. Seems like it's a go again. Merit has said they are not working with anyone on the Dauntless, so it could just be coincidence.

Personally, who cares. Just, somebody, make it.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:05 am

I will be all over that P-61 like nobody's business. Haven't had one since I built the old Monogram 1/48 version.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:01 am

At a scale of 1:32 the P-61 Black Widow's....

Wingspan: 24.75"
Length: 18.59"

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:35 am

Beeavision wrote:At a scale of 1:32 the P-61 Black Widow's....

Wingspan: 24.75"
Length: 18.59"
That's about the same size as the 1/32 Ju-88 kit. 4" wider and longer than a P-38.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:12 pm

aferguson wrote:hobbyboss was working on a 1/18 dauntlass kit before but then dropped the project. Seems like it's a go again. Merit has said they are not working with anyone on the Dauntless, so it could just be coincidence.

Personally, who cares. Just, somebody, make it.
I don't think its coincidence... Merit has an interesting history with what they consider to be their own products. The new 1/350 scale USS Hornet is actually a pre-built version of the 1/350 Trumpeter kit, missing only some of the finer detailed parts. The new 1/16 tanks are the same, as were the old 1/24 aircraft, in that they were pre-built & painted versions of kits made by other companies. It would not surprise me if Merit got the Dauntless toolings from Hobbyboss, but is producing a pre-assembled & painted version on their own.

But I agree with the necessity - just as long as someone makes it, preferably pre-assembled :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:01 am

Well we are now into the Chinese New Year, so how many think any news of the Dauntless will be announced. I remember earlier in this thread that their New Year was significant in their letting us know about this plane.
Thanks
JOC

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:10 am

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:53 am

WOW!!!!!!

Boy does that look great or what?

If you can't tell, I am very excited about a new 1/18 plane.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:18 am

If you right click on them and select view image they will show up much larger on screen. Viewing the images after saving them to your desktop will also work as well.

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:31 pm

If the finished product looks anything like that, we're in for a treat -- an expensive treat, but a treat.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:25 am

Wow! That's a lot of detail. 1:18 aircraft have definitely moved past being toys. Really looking forward to this one.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:56 pm

Greetings:

Haven't posted on here much lately but thought I would chime in on this as we possibly get closer to seeing this plane come to light in 1/18 scale. Being one of my favorite World War II aircraft and having a family connection with this plane from World War II, I will defintely get one as long as the price and the quality are within reason.

More importantly, I believe this plane is basically a make it or break it for this hobby. BBI has put out a couple of repaints of old molds at higher prices but despite generating some interest, have really not been a knock out like they may have expected. Yes, they have sold the new F-16 and 109 and will probably sell the Blackhawk, but a knock out for the scale at this point would be sold out and you can't get it. That didn't happen. Both are still available at Internet hobby shops and dealers. It also appears that All-Go can do nothing productive and is busy chasing Jack Plonka around Michigan looking for their A-10 prototype. I don't see anything coming out of All-Go anytime soon.

If Merit can pull this off and deliver a good model with good quality control for an acceptable price point, it could easily generate interest in this hobby again. Just as with the Battle of Midway, this plane is once again a key element in survival, this time our hobby. I think if Merit does it right, the scale stays alive and people get into it again. The appearance of a Navy bird might persuade BBI to release a new repaint of the Hellcat or the Corsair. Maybe it will push Merit to make another 1/18 plane or push JSI to do something. There is more riding on this plane for our hobby than people realize.

Unfortunately, if this plane would turn out to be dog like the JSI F-14 and suffer from the same QC problems and paint debacle, then it could be basically the end of our hobby. If it is priced too high and Merit can't sell them, it could also scare off the other companies into doing 1/18 and the scale could become a memory in the pieces of 21st and BBI.

I hope the plane is going to be a success and it keeps this hobby going. More importantly, I hope this plane pushes this scale into a more detailed, high quality lineup that has been sorely needed. I'd like to see these be more premium models than toys. It appears from the pictures Merit wants to head in that direction. Hopefully the Dauntless can be delivered in a way that is both highly detailed and good quality but at a price everyone can afford within means.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:08 am

Coreyeagle48 wrote:More importantly, I believe this plane is basically a make it or break it for this hobby.
Agreed. The F-14 was almost certainly well along in its development when the Crash of '08 happened, so it really wasn't a test: I've thought since that project was announced that it was a case of the folks who had invested in it thinking they'd gone more than halfway and that it made sense to finish and see what happened. This plane is different -- almost certainly every dollar that's been spent on it has been since the Crash, so it's a real test of the new post-Golden Age, post-Crash world for 1/18.
Coreyeagle48 wrote:Just as with the Battle of Midway, this plane is once again a key element in survival, this time our hobby.

Great analogy, but actually I think it doesn't go far enough. Even if Yamamoto and Nomura hadn't gotten their fannies whacked at Midway, their doom was sealed when the first bombs dropped on Pearl Harbor ... it was just a matter of time. But this project is likely even more of a make-or-break matter for the hobby: If it fails, we're toast. If it succeeds, we may well see one or two Big Projects from the Majors per year hereafter, which would keep things going nicely, if not at the super-heated rate that existed during the Golden Age.

snake

Post by snake » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:43 pm

Interior detail does look very good, but will definitely add to the overall cost of the model.

Going to be interesting to see what the retail price is going to be. Hope it is not priced too high, as has been said, this is almost a make or break for new 1/18.

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:54 am

looks good...but Midway planes carried the twin .30 cals.....
hope I am wrong but it looks like the protype is sporting a single .30 cal.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Greetings:

The SBD-1 and 2 carried a single .30 machine gun in the rear cockpit. Some of the SBD-3's carried this mount as well. During the production run of the SBD-3, the mount in the rear cockpit was changed to the twin .30 machine gun mount we see on most SBD's. This mount was continued through the SBD-4, 5 and 6 variants. There were some modifications made to the rear cockpit to help accomodate the twin machine guns, however, it is my understanding from talking to the pilot that flies the CAF's Dauntless that either gun mount could fit in the rear cockpit if needed.

I know there were SBD-3's at Midway. And some did have the single .30 mount in the rear cockpit. I have no idea how many SBD-3's were built that way as the mount changed in the production run. But I am sure there were a few in action at Midway with the single mount, though the twin mount would be acceptable and possibly more common at this stage in the war.

The ideal thing for Merit to do would include both guns and make them interchangable for the owner to decide. This would be in line with what HobbyMaster did with their 1/32 version.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:45 pm

see, this is why 1/18 military toys or collectibles don't get produced, already people are questioning the accuracy of the model based on a few pics. One gun or two who cares??? I'm sure the manufactuers get tons of letters sent to them complaining about the panel recess line is incorrect, etc... and at some point it just won't be worth it.

You think Autoart collectors send in letters complaining about the Shelby GT emblem is not to scale??

Dave

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:09 pm

Quite right Corey and well said... Guess I should rephrase...I hope Merit releases a Dauntless in the livery of Richard H. Best or Wade McClusky at Midway ...
If it was a Dauntless from VB6 off the deck of the Enterprise it had twin 30 cal. If it only has one I can always make the twins no big deal...plus if you notice Merit lists a possible second paint livery on the horizon...maybe Coral Sea? A single .30 fits perfect....Anyway most excited about this release.

Dave, dont get yer panties in a wad...just making an observation with no disrespect to Merit. I think they are doing a great job.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:50 pm

as this is most likely the hobby boss model kit reincarnated, i don't know how good a gauge it will be for future 1/18 releases, detail-wise. It's more of a case of Merit making lemonade from the hobby boss lemon that wasn't produced by them. Not lemon in the sense of no good, but lemon in the sense that they did all the work but never produced it, for whatever reason.

I don't think it will be that expensive. The Hornet came out a a fairlly reasonable price, for what it is, and it too was based on a model kit. I'm expecting a price around $129.

This will no doubt sell well (better than the Hornet appears to be doing). I think bbi and allgo are both very interested in the 1/18 market. BBI is just being BBI, slow and with a million other things going on. Allgo simply hasn't got the means to make anything, just the desire, at least at the moment. JSI is a dead duck. The got burned by the Tomcat, all their own fault, although i don't think they even realize it, and now they've given up on 1/18.

Let's not forget Pegasus.....a Komet is very likely from them this year.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...