1/16 tanks

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/16 tanks

Post by Jnewboy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:50 pm

Id really like one, let me know if and when anyone finds them for sale. You did a great job on it tank dual. Anyone on here have a 1/16 KV-2 ??

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Ok guess not, I just wondered if anyone had bonded the KV-1 heng long tank to the Tamiya KV-2 turret.

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Been doing some work on my Mato Sherman, which MATO sent me for review, added texture, lowered the turret, added a crew based on FOV 1/16 sherman commander with heads swapped out from 1/18 FOV and 21st Century figures, still more to do, I think the commander sculpt looks like Mr Bean :lol:

Larger pics here
http://rctankhq.com/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=240

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Jnewboy:

That's a great idea. Ebay has a guy selling the kit Tamiya sets of 4 sections of the KV-2 turret for around $80.

I'd love to mate that with the Hen Long KV-1, if they would fit. :shock:

And great wouk Tankduel... :wink:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:06 pm

can you post a link to the kv turret guy, TTT?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:27 pm

Threetoughtrucks wrote:Jnewboy:

That's a great idea. Ebay has a guy selling the kit Tamiya sets of 4 sections of the KV-2 turret for around $80.

I'd love to mate that with the Hen Long KV-1, if they would fit. :shock:

And great wouk Tankduel... :wink:

TTT
Yea, thats what I did, it was alittle over $100 for all of the parts sheets and metal barrel I would need, I think I got the last of one of the sheets needed though.

You need sheets; J , H , M + Metal barrel + Decals

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:12 am

The guy seems to sell parts. His listing is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/19115262-Tamiya-1-1 ... 588ec21485

You'll see all his KV-2 stuff at one place. By checkong out "1/16 KV-2" on eBay.

Now we have only two questions....... 1 - Does the Tamiya turret fit the Hen Long opening in the hull without major surgery? and..... 2 - Will the guy have any more of the one kit that Jnew.. bought the "last of"?

TTT

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:39 am

Ill keep you all informed, I may start on it this month, Ill take pictures as I go. In the end I am hoping I can reassemble the thing back to RC status and be able to turn the turret. I love the KV2, and I will display it next to my Hooben Elephant when ever it comes.

Im sure at some point that M sheet will become available again, I had been looking for awhile though

Sure beats the hell out of $750 for the whole kit
And hopefully I will be driving it around my house soon :D

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:09 am

the seller only has a portion of the parts needed. There is no barrel and no mantlet. Just the actual turret and decals.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:50 am

So how much is that Sherman, and can it be had in the US for under $200? :)
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:02 pm

I think there are several vendors carrying the Sherman, try this place they have a good reputation.

Deleted, wrong vendor posted.
Last edited by ram04 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:36 pm

RC Command had a good reputation for ripping people off until they went out of business ages ago.
www.matomart.com might have it.
Nev

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:41 pm

I have seen more Jagdtigers on eBay but all up around $350 and ship from china and AU, anyone know when we in the US will get our grubby hands on these for a reasonable price? (Under $200)

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:34 pm

I have one of those Heng Feng Jagdtigers, don't get too excited about getting one, here's why.

Before I bought it I knew the following:

Lower hull has a 'hump' at the front to fit the gearboxes.
Lower hull front and rear has zimmerit, upper does not.
The whole thing is about 3/4" too short.

I have a spare Tamiya KT which I intended to use the lower hull to fix the 'hump' problem and also the zimm mismatch and also planned to add a 3/4' extension to make the Jadg the right length.

But when I got it I realised the sides of the fighting compartment are angled inwards from where they meet the deck instead of being straight, meaning the fighting compartment is not only 3/4'.too short, its also too narrow.

Fixing the length is one thing, but the above problem is a killer for me, easier to scratch the whole thing than modify whats there I think.

Also the side armor has a weird, pronounced texture, I have no idea what they were thinking with that.

Overall I would say the Jagdtiger is surpassed only by the 'Pantiger' for inaccuracy and overall crap factor.

Nev

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:48 pm

tankduel, you are 100% right, that was my fault, I copied the wrong site, thats what you get for not proof reading before posting, my apologies, here is the site I meant to post.

http://www.rctankwars.com

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:09 pm

tankduel wrote:I have one of those Heng Feng Jagdtigers, don't get too excited about getting one, here's why.

Before I bought it I knew the following:

Lower hull has a 'hump' at the front to fit the gearboxes.
Lower hull front and rear has zimmerit, upper does not.
The whole thing is about 3/4" too short.

I have a spare Tamiya KT which I intended to use the lower hull to fix the 'hump' problem and also the zimm mismatch and also planned to add a 3/4' extension to make the Jadg the right length.

But when I got it I realised the sides of the fighting compartment are angled inwards from where they meet the deck instead of being straight, meaning the fighting compartment is not only 3/4'.too short, its also too narrow.

Fixing the length is one thing, but the above problem is a killer for me, easier to scratch the whole thing than modify whats there I think.

Also the side armor has a weird, pronounced texture, I have no idea what they were thinking with that.

Overall I would say the Jagdtiger is surpassed only by the 'Pantiger' for inaccuracy and overall crap factor.

Nev
Holy $#%
I did not know it had all the size problems, I knew it had the problem with the "bump", my mato kingtiger has the same crap, I removed the gear box and cut the bump out then stuck a sheet of plastic to the back side and built it up in front with apoxie sculpt, made a stamp of the zimm and stamped over it, you cant see it now at all.

That does not help us on this though as I done want a jagdtiger with zimm, its not right, it may have been one one or two but thats it. I to was going to buy an additional KT rear plate and cut a plate for the front and fix this but I dont know what I would do to fix the overall size issues....

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Does anyone know about the quality of these tanks?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:1123

http://toys.shop.ebay.com/Tanks-Militar ... SS:US:1150

I'm sure they're not the greatest, but for a beginner are they worth it as an introduction? I sold a bunch of crap on ebay so I have about $150 to spend and was looking to get a big German tank to chase the cats with.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:55 pm

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:Does anyone know about the quality of these tanks?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:1123

http://toys.shop.ebay.com/Tanks-Militar ... SS:US:1150

I'm sure they're not the greatest, but for a beginner are they worth it as an introduction? I sold a bunch of crap on ebay so I have about $150 to spend and was looking to get a big German tank to chase the cats with.
Thats a great idea, they are excellent at chasing cats :lol:
I have bought from them before but you can get it cheaper,
see this: http://www.amazon.com/German-Tiger-Tank ... 60&sr=1-13

you can send me any money left over :lol: :lol:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:50 pm

surprising news about the JT. Is this the same one that was the australian exclusive last year? A lot of money for a model like that.

The too short size is mostly due to them using the KT lower hull. The JT was stretched a bit as compared to the KT. 3/4 inch would represent close to a foot...it wasn't that much longer, so that must mean the KT's short too.

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:43 pm

Heng Long tanks seem like they are hit or miss. I know a few people on the internet that really enjoy their HL tanks, but I have my doubts. Back in November, I bought a Tiger from the local PM Hobbycraft as a Christmas present and it never started when I took it out of the box. There were only so many things that I was able to do for repairs, so I took it back to PM Hobby for them to repair it. Instead they refunded my money and said that they have had trouble with HL for a while: They had put in an order for more tanks a year ago, and haven't recieved a single message since.

I got my $120 back and went out and bought myself a purdy JSI tiger and M3 halftrack from EvilBay.

Good times!

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Yes the same one. I was going on a one foot difference between a real KT and a Jagdtiger. I was going on an article about converting a Tamiya KT to a Jagd in 'On The Battlefront' RC Tank mag and also I recall David Jacobs, a good researcher on this stuff agreed on the 3/4'" diff in 1/16 scale with his build, notice also the lowered front deck on his build.
http://www.homepurchaseprogram.com/jacobs.html
Other measurements people can dig up may vary of course but I'll stick with adding 3/4"
if I proceed.
Nev

aferguson wrote:surprising news about the JT. Is this the same one that was the australian exclusive last year? A lot of money for a model like that.

The too short size is mostly due to them using the KT lower hull. The JT was stretched a bit as compared to the KT. 3/4 inch would represent close to a foot...it wasn't that much longer, so that must mean the KT's short too.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:51 pm

I've never had a problem with my tanks... To me, Hen Long makes some insanely cool stuff, and I'm not afraid to buy from a known dealer at all. There's some good ones on Ebay, and I just wish more of the older model tanks were still around.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:19 am

Jesse James wrote:I've never had a problem with my tanks... To me, Hen Long makes some insanely cool stuff, and I'm not afraid to buy from a known dealer at all. There's some good ones on Ebay, and I just wish more of the older model tanks were still around.
I have four of the Heng long tanks and other than a smoker quiting I"ve not had any problems with them, they've been run out side in different weather, mostly snow and other than maybe throwing a track occasionally they preform pretty good.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:26 am

Most of my RC tanks spend their life on my shelves, proudly showing their bad selves to admiring people who barely know a Sherman from a Tiger, so a bump in a hull that is out of place is known only to us few. I'm happy with Hen Long producing anything for our market and I like their "extra" capability of being able to run around the floor occassionally to the enjoyment of my Grandkiddie.

My 1/16 RC don't scare my canine visitors, for that I use my 1/6 Stuart or Hummer. :roll: My feline visitors are afraid of anything at all that moves by itself.

TTT

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:44 am

Threetoughtrucks wrote:Most of my RC tanks spend their life on my shelves, proudly showing their bad selves to admiring people who barely know a Sherman from a Tiger, so a bump in a hull that is out of place is known only to us few. I'm happy with Hen Long producing anything for our market and I like their "extra" capability of being able to run around the floor occassionally to the enjoyment of my Grandkiddie.

My 1/16 RC don't scare my canine visitors, for that I use my 1/6 Stuart or Hummer. :roll: My feline visitors are afraid of anything at all that moves by itself.

TTT
I guess that sums it up best, I'm not a rivet counter and most of my friends that see my collection couldn't tell one Panzer from another, let alone if something is out of scale or not perfect.

They just love the WOW factor, let them play with a RC tank and they want one, everyone has fun and thats what its all about to me.