How many here 'cheat' on scale..

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:41 pm

it's interesting the comments so far...and the range in attitudes, tolerances etc. I have found that i'm far more tolerant with aircraft then i am with armour...no doubt due to the much larger size of aircraft, especially the big aircraft; makes it easier to overlook that it's a bit 'out of scale'. But while i have a bit of 1/16 armour, i too have held the 1/16 88mm in my hands and finally decided it was not right. With ships i would probably be even more tolerant and might even go as far as 1/24-ish. So if i ever find a 1/24 Bismark...

It's possible many have cheats they have forgotten, or don't even know about.

Anyone who has the BBI F-16 is cheating a bit. It works out to be 1/16.9 scale, not 1/18. BBI goofed when they referenced the dimensions.

I wonder how many BBI F-16's will go on Ebay first thing tomorrow, now.....not very many i bet. ;)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

lablksmith
Sergeant
Sergeant

I like Pola

Post by lablksmith » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:58 am

I once heard a G scale train guy say POLA was too big for G scale. It is supposed to be 22 scale but to me it is larger. I think it works great with 1/18 scale especially the Schutztaffel troops. I live in an old home 200 years old and the door knobs are all low. We humans have stedily been getting larger over the last couple hundred years so the Pola buildings being a little small isnt exactly unrealistic. And they look so good and are off such great quality.

MandaloreSC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MandaloreSC » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:07 am

Only 1/18 and only Ultimate soldier XD here. I don't collect any other scales and I don't mix other toylines or model kits with XD. I would'nt like the look of that. Everytime I would look at it, it would seem wrong to me.

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:08 am

Bumping this back up since it was listed as a topic that doesn't exist anymore.

luftpanzer
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by luftpanzer » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:41 pm

I cheat with 1/32 and 1/35th. For eaxample the 21stC flak wagon and tamiya flak wagon being different scales are actually the same size. The 21st C 1/32 figures are really closer to 1/35th so I ues tamiya figures on the 88 flack gun.
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:41 pm

I just started to dabble as you might say with the 1/32nd line with a purchase of the black 56th FG Thunderbolt by 21st Century. I will tell you this and thats that I was very very impressed by it because of the detail 21st put into it. Now my next 1/32nd planes will be the 2 F4U Corsairs that 21st has made and those are Big Hog and the Corsair from the USS Saidor. The Saidor Corsair I like because of the paint scheme. I'm a 1/18th guy but I will start collecting the 1/32nd birds as well.

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:23 pm

I do 1/18 and 1/16. Those FOV Tigers are too hard to resist. I have 2 of the first issue King Tigers one of the second and just got the Wittman a month or so ago. Missed the board when it was up last. I was in the out side mode and could not get in. I do have one T-34/85 R/C to keep the Germans at bay though. When 21st gets the 1/18 King Tiger I will be all over that thing like white on rice.
I do get into the 1/6 scale as well. I have about 16 yes that's right 16 Stuart Tanks. I intend to do a verstion of each made . I guess when I retire.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:49 pm

here's something to look forward to for those that don't mind cheating on scale a fair bit:

http://www.cedarhobbies.net/index.php?i ... product=26#

digger

Post by digger » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:58 pm

aferguson wrote:here's something to look forward to for those that don't mind cheating on scale a fair bit:

http://www.cedarhobbies.net/index.php?i ... product=26#
Look forward to at $800? That thing is closer to 1/32 than 1/18...not exactly cheating on scale, more like collecting a new one..

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:12 am

heheh......it's about 1/27. So both the xd and the 32x guys can cheat. :)

Besides, it's about as close as either group is likely to come to getting a b-52 in their collection. :)

I don't think it's going to cost anywhere near $800. If you check out their other prices on available items they are all deeply slashed. My guess is that it'll be in the $500 region. A mere pitance.. :wink:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:19 pm

now this is reeeally cheetin', but very cool nonetheless:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KRIEGSMARINE-U-47-W ... dZViewItem

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:09 pm

Here is a fine example of 1:16 and 1:18 working together for the sucess of the Leibstandarte.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2465 ... 042zs7.jpg

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/8255 ... 045lh1.jpg
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:17 pm

I really need HELP!
I have four original GI Joes from when they first came out in 1964 and a bunch of their equipment and the armor car. Then I bought ALL the 40th Anniversary sets, including 2nds, 3rds, etc. Then I got into 1:18 XD and bought ALOT of that! Then Power Team came out with their 1:18 and I bought ALOT of that!
I'm trying to focus on just ONE-buying all this stuff is alot of money-but I find I can't HELP myself! I tried to stick with just JOES and then began to sell off my XD...then I had a change of heart and started to BUY IT BACK! Same with the Joes! PT stuff stayed-it's cost effective :D
I LOVE the Joes, but the 1/6 size takes up a lot of space!
BUT...it comes down to this...and I don't know why I think this way but, I picture people coming into my house and seeing me "playing" with the 1/6th Joe stuff-and 'Fighting Man' or not, I get the feeling that these people would leave my house saying "Can you believe that guy plays with 'DOLLS'?" But then I picture the same people coming into my house and seeing me "playing" with XD and leaving my house saying, "Those model soldier sets he has are cool!"
I also picture this...taking the 1/6 Joe stuff in the back yard and setting it up-what kind of look would the neighbors give me? Compared to me setting up XD stuff in the back yard...
I know it's a stupid way to look at it, I should collect what I like, but this is what EATS AWAY at me...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:21 pm

Just wear a pink dress when you play with your toys in the backyard. Believe me, nobody will notice them at all.

:)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:24 pm

In all seriousness, you had the answer yourself. You can't care what other people think. There are probably as many people who will think the Joes are cool as who will think the XD is cool and most people will probably think both are geeky. So what? Enjoy your life and do whatever it is you want.

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:27 pm

unless folks are walking in the door watching you cross legged on the floor bayoneting Joachim with Joe, I wouldn't worry too much. Most of collecting anything is creating your own museum, for your own appreciating and for who ever else shows up.
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:30 pm

If it makes you feel better, my XD collection dominates the living room, and definitely knocks the socks off most my visitors, mostly due to sheer square footage issues. Then again, so do the two curio cabinets full of 1/6 Cy Girl/Cool Girl figures. And I have yet to hear anyone say anything about playing with dolls, or even raise an eyebrow. Maybe it's because they aren't used to seeing a much nicer looking "Barbie" in skin-tight leather and holding an MP5. My best friend keeps threatening to steal one redhead that she thinks looks a little like her. So no fears about mixing scale! Cool is cool... And the fact that some people have no sense of fun, history, or cool is not our problem. Let them be boring! Worst case, we organize a squadron of R/C warbirds complete with CO2 powered pellet guns, and attack!
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

MIGMADMAVIS
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by MIGMADMAVIS » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:41 pm

Im deffinitely with you on that, so many people come to my house, and look at my room, and wonder why I have so much planes and tanks and figures, and it makes me feel good inside because they are the ones missing out on all this fascinating history, and cool storys behind all these planes tanks, etc. However, nobody questions the massive 1/18 Planes :wink:
Great Traders List:

hworth18
raiderad16
razor17019
momaw nadon
jmd250
kimtheredxd

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:54 pm

The last summer, while I was out on assignment, a delegation came through my office. I'd never have known this, except that a lady I work with told me that the XD/BBI stuff hanging in my office was the hit of the tour. Some guy actually run out to the car to get his camera to take photos!!
Tanks for the memories
And oodles of track

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:02 pm

My boss (and the owner/CEO of the company) is an army veteran who served right after Korea. He is also in the Masons, and has several friends that are also veterans from Korea and even WWII, and will frequently bring them by my office to show them the assortment of armor and aircraft. Sometimes, a plane or tank will trigger a story from their own experiences, which makes it very worthwhile.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

MIGMADMAVIS
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by MIGMADMAVIS » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:06 pm

Ya, my great uncle flew combat missions over Europe during WWII as a B-17 Pilot, and as a B-29 Pilot in the Pacific Theatre, and he came in my room alot, and told stories after stories of his experiences, and i found really fascinating!!
Great Traders List:

hworth18
raiderad16
razor17019
momaw nadon
jmd250
kimtheredxd

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:17 pm

You guys are the best!!
Can't worry about what other people think! I LOVE all this stuff and I'm gonna just buy what I like!

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:17 pm

My dad was in the Philippines. He'd once told me a story (that I'd only heard of once since in a quick mention on A&E, or some such, about 20 years ago) about an incident in Manila just after the war ended. Soldiers kept arriving, even veterans from Europe, but the war was over. Thousands of GI's took over downtown Manila and demanded that the ships leaving empty, after delivering european vets and newbies off, take them back home. Some general type ossifer gave a speech calling this the most disgracefull act he'd ever seen, but they also started returning folks home.

Such things are history, but how can anyone show this in a model or toy. We do what we can to remember history, even the odd stuff as this.
Tanks for the memories
And oodles of track

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:52 am

Alright...THIS makes me feel better too!
I hope this comes out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-GI-JOE-12-M ... 0076661632

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:36 am

this one could make me buckle:

http://www.subcommittee.com/SubComm/ima ... 04r052.jpg

German Type XXI U-boat, 1/40 scale, 75 inches long. Gulp.