When are the British coming??

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
mrkisskissbangbang
Corporal
Corporal

When are the British coming??

Post by mrkisskissbangbang » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:55 pm

Most of the major American and German aircraft and armor have been covered, although there are still quite a few more items that can be created. When will we see more British aircraft? I love my Spitfire, P-40 Kittyhawk/Warhawk and Corsair. I'd even be happy to see a few repaints of the Avenger/Tarpon and Thunderbolt (and when the Hellcat comes out, that too!)

AIRCRAFT WISH LIST:
Hawker Hurricane
Hawker Typhoon
De Havilland Mosquito
Bristol Beaufighter
Fairey Swordfish
Gloster Gladiator

ARMOR WISH LIST:
Churchill
Matilda
Valentine
Bren Gun Carrier
Daimler Armored Car
Daimler Scout Car
Humber 8-cwt Lorry
Morris 10 HP Utility Truck
AEC Matador
BSA B30 Motorcycle
Norton 16H Motorcycle
Ariel W/NG Motorcycle
Mk II Pdr Field Gun and Limber
Bofors Gun

Anything else???

Cheers

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:03 pm

well, there is a beaufighter out. It's an r/c plane but scales out to almost exactly 1/18. Clear canopy, already painted. Should be showing up in the states in a few weeks. Probably around $170. This will probably be your only chance to see one of those.

http://www.euromodels.com.au/shop/index ... cts_id=749

Other spit marks and a mosquito are possible in XD. I would not count on anything else but we'll see what admiral has up there sleeves.

Armour, i would be surprised if we see anything. A churchill or matilda if we are super lucky.

Troops i think we'll see at some point. If they sell well that would make an armour piece more likely.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:06 pm

That's what I'd like to know! We've got some DAK German figures coming, but no British. IMHO, those would have been a more creative choice than the D-Day figures in the new XD figure line...

We've already got the Spitfire, P-40, and Corsair in British markings, and it wouldn't surprise me to see an Avenger repainted in Royal Navy markings sometime down the road... but we could use another aircraft and tank or two.

I would certainly go for a Mosquito (its Roy's favorite) or a Typhoon and the other planes on your list would all make nice additions, though seeing some may be unlikely.

As for the armor, a Matilda or M3 Grant would be awesome! 21c could even release their Sherman again in British markings.

There's no telling how well some British vehicles would sell with the American public. There certainly would be a collector's interest, however!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:11 pm

Hi All

IMO we need some WWII 1/18 British figures, its been far to long with out any Brits. I have been waiting for some British WWII figures since the begining.
There's only one way out of HELL! and that's through it!!

mrkisskissbangbang
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mrkisskissbangbang » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:39 pm

I forgot to mention some British troop figures. Definately some British Airborne!

I don't know what the process is for selecting subject matter to produce. But going by the die-cast aircraft and armor end of things....such as Corgi, Franklin Mint/Armor, IXO...etc There is a market for British aircraft and armor. What about 1:6 scale.....they have at least a few figures of soliders, commandos and pilots?

I'd be interested in picking up one of the Beaufighters. thanks for the link.

I think some smaller armor and utility vehicles could be made by the die-cast metal market.

Cheers

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:33 pm

if you get one of the beaufighters you can use the torpedo and/or rockets from the Avenger on it. That's what i plan to do. They're not exactly right but close. The Beau normally carried an 18 inch torpedo but the later marks with the larger engines could also carry a 21 inch, which is what the Avenger's torpedo is. You'll need to scratchbuild some rocket rails, but that's not too hard. If you want to make it a later mark you'll need to give the tailplane a dihedral of 18 degrees, which should be simple.

I personally can't wait for the Beaufighter to come out. I never thought i'd see one in 1/18. My stepfather flew them for most of the war, in North Africa and over the North Sea. He was shot down twice and had a number of torpedo strikes etc. After the war he was a test pilot and flew all the different german planes, including an Me-163 (in a glide only).

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:31 pm

My guess is we see a Sherman in British markings before we see anything else - something to get the hype up for 2008
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Figure-wise, if there was a concern about risk or testing the waters, they should just put a single British army builder grunt into an upcoming wave.. Kind of like the DAK grunt in the current D-Day wave..

Oh... and a Russian of course!!
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:46 am

Always nice to see threads pop up demanding BRITISH Hardware & manpower :D

I think as well as British troops (Far East,Desert,Europe,Airborne,D-Day,SAS Desert,SAS Europe,Winter,Commandos) I think making some carded RAF officers in & out of Fly gear as well as None Comms & Enlisted too would be very interesting :D

As well as the Armour,aircraft,TROOPS I think XD & BBI SHOULD truely consider doing WWII Weapon packs (Axis,US,British,Ruskie,Japanese,maybe a Euro pack too).

Hell more Modern Packs too wouldn`t go amiss :D Shame really were TUS is concerned as this was standard practice with their 1/6th range,so why not give 1/18th the same privilage?

Though Head packs & hand packs woulf truely go down well as well.

Ja
Steel Bonnet
My 1/18th Custom World. Updated 15th Dec.
http://www.freewebs.com/steelbonnet/

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:30 am

steelbonnet wrote: I think making some carded RAF officers in & out of Fly gear as well as None Comms & Enlisted too would be very interesting :D
Ja
Steel Bonnet

:D :D :D

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Aussies

Post by blurx7 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:40 am

Hey.... how about the forgotten heroes? When do we get some Australians? ANZACS performed extensively ( and mightily) against the Germans in North Africa, as well as against the Japanese, so there are at least two different campaigns to work in. Moreover, Aussies are "cool" these days with Americans. You can't turn on a television program without hearing an accent from Oz. Typical, though, to get all this interest in Limies without recognition for the Aussies. The Brits always did treat us like crap.
Geoff

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:51 am

A Sherman repaint would be fantastic! If they do decide to release a new tank, it needs to be the Matilda. Or perhaps one of the Cruiser tanks. A Lee/Grant would be a logical choice too. It could cover both Brit and US units.

Sorry, the Churchill is just too dog ugly. 8)
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

Flak Happy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Flak Happy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:17 am

Bring on the Tommys! :D If not in 1/18 at least in 32x/32xw!!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:49 am

Flak Happy wrote:Bring on the Tommys! :D If not in 1/18 at least in 32x/32xw!!
Well, British planes & vehicles are already quite well represented in 1:32 scale and smaller:

Both 21c and FOV have 1:32 British figures. 21c has the 32xw RAF and has at least proposed a 32xw Corsair in Brit markings. FOV has the Challenger II, Matilda & Grant in 1:32, plus a Spitfire. In 1:72 they have the Tornado, Hurricane, Grant, Churchill, and Challenger II tanks, plus some WWII British paratroopers. Corgi, for obvious reasons, has THE BEST selection of British aircraft in 1:32 and 1:72, and also has some 1:50 armor.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Flak Happy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Flak Happy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:14 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:
Flak Happy wrote:Bring on the Tommys! :D If not in 1/18 at least in 32x/32xw!!
Well, British planes & vehicles are already quite well represented in 1:32 scale and smaller:

Both 21c and FOV have 1:32 British figures. 21c has the 32xw RAF and has at least proposed a 32xw Corsair in Brit markings. FOV has the Challenger II, Matilda & Grant in 1:32, plus a Spitfire. In 1:72 they have the Tornado, Hurricane, Grant, Churchill, and Challenger II tanks, plus some WWII British paratroopers. Corgi, for obvious reasons, has THE BEST selection of British aircraft in 1:32 and 1:72, and also has some 1:50 armor.
Very true, kinda of forgot about those :oops:
I was just thinking of 21st CT 32xw/XD line could use some original British aircraft like the Typhoon, Hurricane etc. :wink:

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

blurx7
Hey We Brit`s arn`t that bad mate. Sorry I don`t apologise for my Ancestors actions,I`m just proud to be British (living with Both the GOOD & The BAD parts of our Glorious Nation`s history).

As for Aussie troops or South African/Empire troops they would easily be achievable once British troops were made,after all the uniforms & equipment were the same (with slight variations).

ja
Steel Bonnet
My 1/18th Custom World. Updated 15th Dec.
http://www.freewebs.com/steelbonnet/

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:25 am

Also from British back ground.

Im glade we have this topic up, this might help in the production of some WWII 1/18 Troops, This is just my OP I think its time to put the US figures to rest for alittle bit. and start a wave of British figures, Canadian's( same uniforms, gear, weapons just that the CAN Uniforms were more greenish, Brit's uniforms were a brown green)
So come on XD, BBI lets get this British figures ball rolling, who can make the best WWII 1/18 British troops.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:38 am

why 21c or BBI doesn't make one british figure and one russian figure to test the market, is beyond me. They could be just two figures out of an assortment of six, with the others being germans/US which are known to sell well.

Give them generic faces, two or three weapons options each (in other words make them army builders) and see how sales go. They'd probably sell a bundle of them. Then if all goes well they could make another one of each nationality.

All that is really needed is one desert rat, one standard battle dress and one para, for the british and one standard russian, one winter russian and one russian in cold weather pleated uniform. From that it would be easy to mix, match and customize pretty much anything.

mrkisskissbangbang
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mrkisskissbangbang » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:37 pm

I like the idea of having some RAF pilots in/out of flight gear. I do hope that they improve their sculpts in the future. My RAF pilots suck compared to the most recent Avenger crew.

It would be good if they did some early war pilots to go with the Spitfires and Hurricanes. Mid to late war to go with the Mosquitoes and Typhoons.

Its been mentioned in another post. Creating a General Montgomery.

Although it would be great to have some Canucks, Aussies, and Kiwis. I have a feeling we may never see any of them. Although, I could see Aussies and Kiwis for a Pacific Theater campaign. The public at large would not be interested in purchasing Canadian figures, especially with uniform and gear being so close to the British.

Some Canadian built vehicles would be sweet. The Ram tank and some CMPs. One can only dream.

Cheers

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: Aussies

Post by chunks » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:43 pm

blurx7 wrote:Hey.... how about the forgotten heroes? When do we get some Australians? ANZACS performed extensively ( and mightily) against the Germans in North Africa, as well as against the Japanese, so there are at least two different campaigns to work in. Moreover, Aussies are "cool" these days with Americans. You can't turn on a television program without hearing an accent from Oz. Typical, though, to get all this interest in Limies without recognition for the Aussies. The Brits always did treat us like crap.
Even though they're P-51 repaints, don't forget BBI's two aussie offerings. Both 3rd sdn, IIRC, one camo and one nmf.
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:50 am

Hi All

aferguson, I agree that it would be nice start to have 3 diff types of British figures to try out as a builders set.

dfoos
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by dfoos » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:47 am

I think they should go with a theme and opposing forces for major releases, like release several DAK and 8th Army figs in one release and then for armor (or armour for you limeys) I would like to see a Grant and maybe a Matilda, and maybe a Valentine, and some Pz III's and IV's to oppose them. Then for continental Europe theater release some Tommies and Red Devils, with maybe a Churchill and Cromwell. I also find it interesting that they haven't done a 1/18 Stuart (either M3 or M5) as it could be re-released with many different paint schemes. (both Brit and US)
I always find it frustrating to find a really cool series of anything without having opposing forces.

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:07 am

Hi Guys

Any 1/18 WWII British Troops at this point is a good start, but at least it would be a start. I would love to see some 8th Army Tommy's and some Nomandy Reg Troops, But like aferguson said to start small at the start could be good for a new line of figures.

HardenSteel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by HardenSteel » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:09 pm

I've been waiting for British anything since the very beginning of XD.

If you think of all the countries in the British Commonwealth/Empire - thats a lot of countries in the world using british uniforms & equipment. I think you'd get an excellent return on your investment for figures & vehicles. Not to mention that some of them are so cool!

ANY ARMOUR AT ALL WILL WORK FOR ME!!!

hd

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:38 pm

I'll take a Churchill tank! Yum! 8)
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.