BBI Kiowa question

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

BBI Kiowa question

Post by Sabrefan » Fri May 19, 2006 2:08 pm

I would liike to get a BBI Kiowa helicopter. What do you guys think of the model? It looks well detailed. Any info on the model would be great. Thanks.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

A solid buy

Post by parrish333 » Fri May 19, 2006 2:15 pm

I would recommend the Kiowa if you like helos.

It comes with a nice assortment of interchangeable armaments for the two hardpoints: two double stinger launchers, two rocket pods, and a .50 cal machine gun. The pilot is the same as the Littlebird one - a good figure with NVGs on his helmet. The fig is easily placeable in the cockpit (vs. the Littlebird which is crazy difficult). The engine compartments open, which is a real plus. The mast mounted sight pivots up and down (but doesn't rotate with the blades which is a great thing!). The back doors don't open, but I've heard that on the Kiowa that area would have just been filled with electronic gear anyhow.

And for $20 (if you have TRU stocking them nearby), it is a good value as well.

Loki
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Loki » Fri May 19, 2006 2:19 pm

I'm not a chopper expert so I can't comment on accuracy, but I do have one and I like it a lot. Fully assembled out of the box it's pretty impressive (this is the biggest chopper I have, I imagine next to the Apache or Blackhawk it would look puny), the top mounted sensor pod adds a lot of hieght to it and I like the varrious weapon choices it comes with. A few gripes that I have are that the rear doors don't open and I had a VERY hard time getting the pilot inside.

digger

kiowa

Post by digger » Fri May 19, 2006 2:31 pm

No question it is some of the best bang for the buck. Engine access, both paint schemes are accurate, great detail in the cockpit, and only $20 at Amazon or TRU. It is really a no brainer imo - go for it.

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Fri May 19, 2006 2:40 pm

I agree with digger i think the kiowa is very good value for money i have the green one and if i can get one i would like to get a black one aswell.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Problem

Post by Folkwulfe » Fri May 19, 2006 4:18 pm

Ahhh....I hate to be the fly in the ointment. I have one and like it too, but I hate the fact that they didn't research it very well. Flew in a "D" Vanilla a couple of times so I've had up close and personal with the 1:1 version. The biggest oversight....the main rotor rotates in the wrong direction.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

digger

yup

Post by digger » Fri May 19, 2006 4:28 pm

That and the armament could be better, but still no reason at all to pass. Just like the Cobra - rotors are reversed, still one of the best deals going. :wink:

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Fri May 19, 2006 5:29 pm

Thanks for the help guys. They had both the green and black version at TRU, and I picked up the black version. It is a great looking model. I like it alot. :D
Paul Hebert

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Fri May 19, 2006 7:12 pm

Does anyone know what the letters SFOR mean on the side of the Kiowa model?
Paul Hebert

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri May 19, 2006 7:49 pm

Does anyone know what the letters SFOR mean on the side of the Kiowa mod
SFOR= Stabilisation Force

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat May 20, 2006 7:06 am

The Kiowa is still my favorite of bbi's helos.

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by jeffrowse » Mon May 22, 2006 9:27 am

I think it's the most accurate of the BBI & C21 helos I've got - and so far I've got the Kiowa (green one), Little Bird, Apache, Cobra Snake and the Black Hawk (green'un again) - the only one I know I'm "missing" is the C21 Huey...

I'd like to get at least one more Kiowa, and possibly another couple of snakes to play with (as in customize, not sit in the garden making whuppity-whuppity noises! :roll: ) but since the only UK source I know of has snakes at 50GBp and the Kiowa isn't even listed, and I probably won't be going on holiday to the good ole US of A 'til next year, it ain't gonna happen soon... :(

On the gripping appendage, it does give me a chance to save up a bit (okay, a LOT!) to cover all the birds I want to buy and the shipping back to Dear Ole Blighty... always assuming I can find 'em when I'm over there!

TTFN,

Me.

PERL Programmers Reference Manual, 3rd Edition.
"Of course, if you are writing the control software for a cruise missile, you do not need to include an explicit exit loop. The program will terminate itself at the appropriate time."