UV light activated "laser" Glue

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

UV light activated "laser" Glue

Post by grockwood » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:10 pm

Has anyone tried this stuff on models or diecast yet? Does it work on resin? Walmart has the 3 second and the 5 second one for $9.88.

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: UV light activated "laser" Glue

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:10 pm

Is it some knock-off version of Bondic, the UV-cured acrylic?

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:18 pm

WM sells the actual stuff IIRC but basically yeah it does work... Does it work like a miracle? Eh...

A lot of the tricks to it are layering it for strength, so like if you hacked a figure's leg in half and tried gluing it with this, it wouldn't work great. I'd definitely rough up any surface so it has something to bite to, like most glues require. It works though... You put it on, flick the UV light on it, and it hardens instantly. I think it has its place in the hobby drawer but I'd still take a plastic welder over it on a model... on resin, I think it's worth fiddling with, as with trying any other adhesive on resin hoping for strength and such. It's not cheap, but a lot of epoxies and such aren't either, and super glue isn't always super strong either.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:03 am

Hmmm...

How much do you get for the $9.88 ?

I only use the CA glue super thick . When working with it as soon as you touch the parts together they stick. And if you do not get it right the first time you need to pry the parts apart then try to hold the pieces were they go and then with your third hand hit it with the kicker . Then you fingers are stuck together.

No so easy

Will CA glue stick to this ?

This could give you time to align the pieces then hit it with the UV .

This could work.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:52 pm

I'd imagine it'd stick to CA fine... It's weird. There isn't a ton of it in a tube, but there's more than most super glue tubes (especially with them drying out). This stuff DOESN'T dry out, till it's exposed to light (Including sun light, just a heads up). It has its place like I say... It's not going to replace all your other glues though either, IMHO. I've always got plastic welders, 2-part epoxies, cheap super glues (and baking soda handy to do gap filling), etc. Thick, thin, stuff for photo etch, stuff for watch crystals... I have it all around, haha.

Good modeling sites have usually sticky threads breaking down glues/adhesives and what works with what types of plastics and things. Some even have plastic type breakdowns for you to understand the reasons this or that works differently.

Try painting a bottle of Ibuprofen sometime. :P Basically if it has the recycle logo on it, god help ya!

But scratch building requires out of the box thinking and stuff.

I've just gotten into plastic welding of late... Not solvent-based, but literally bead-welding with plastic rod. Kinda fun. :) A lot like actual welding even.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!