JSI/Merit plastic quality query.

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Winterstar
Sergeant
Sergeant

JSI/Merit plastic quality query.

Post by Winterstar » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:43 am

I was switching around displays today and had the gear door on one of my 21st century ME-262's snap. Not too terribly difficult to fix, but it did raise the question:

Aside from the infamous gear door on the F-14, how have the JSI/Merit releases been as far as plastic quality?

21st always felt more fragile than bbi (to me). Just curious how those that have picked up items after the company switch felt about materials used.

Thanks in advance!

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: JSI/Merit plastic quality query.

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:05 pm

Winterstar, sorry to hear about your ME-262... Replacements are getting harder to find at a good price!

Anyways, I want to say there is a difference in plastics used between the JSI/Merit aircraft and the 21c items. Some have a slightly different feel to them and I know parts on the JSI items in particular tend to be a little more brittle, or at least feel that way. I don't know if what I observe is actually true, but I have noticed a slight difference.

You are right, however, in that BBI generally had sturdier plastic on their models. Their 1:18 scale P-51 feels far more solid than the 21c retooled version, for example. But BBI did have their share of problems... Early on, they tended to use softer plastics that bent over time. The landing gear on the S1 F-18 Hornet and the rotorblades on the Blackhawk and Apache helicopters were notorious for this. Actually, when BBI released its most recent versions of the Blackhawk and F-18, they used harder plastics on the rotors and gears with the result that they don't sag.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:46 pm

I have a few Merit things and I would say they are fairly well made. The kits are injected plastic and is at the same grade as Trumpeter as I think they all use the same factory or factories. Merit/Hobby Boss/Trumpeter are all some how connected.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Some 21st stuff survives a fall from on high, others crack like eggs. I imagine Merit's got similar issues unless they have a more strict or superior manufacturing process. Check out a 21st Weapons Carrier sometime. Good lord those things are like thin glass.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Amen to that on the 21c weapons carrier. Just picking it up wrong can cause something to snap... The command car uses mostly the same tooling, but is much sturdier!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Winterstar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Winterstar » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:36 am

Thanks for the info gents.

Yeah, I picked up the newer hornet release to go with my old wolfpack viper and noted it felt a little different in a positive way.

From what I've heard about the blackhawk re-release it makes me vaguly hopeful that one day we might get an apache re-release. Probably just wishful thinking, but then again, I wasn't expecting figures at retail this year, either.