BBI F-16 pics? Anyone?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
digger
Officer - Brigadier General

cobra

Post by digger » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:59 am

Shin Densetsu wrote:awesome guys! So what do you think about the cobra, is it one of the best helicopters?
This is an AC question I could answer. YES. I have them all, and there is no doubt the AH-1W is the best. Imo after the 104 it is the best 21st AC to date. Let me count the ways...
Look at those rivets and panel lines!
Engine Access - not seen again until the Kiowa, and never since.
Detailed cockpit, and thin canopy.
Both stowage and gun access under the cockpit.
Dead-on paint schemes.
Detail continues on the bottom of the bird, rather than vanishing like on the Black Hawk.
$40 retail!!

Biggest Con is that you get a CIA guy instead of a pilot or two. You need to trade hin for a pilot :wink:

If modern AC is not your thing I could understand not having the Cobra, but if you are at all into today's military, you need a AH-1W. I have a friend who only does WWII but everytime he sees the Cobra he is forced to recognize the temptation. :D

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:35 pm

Oh definitely man thanks for the rundown! I love all military aircraft, and while I do like props I am mainly into modern-vietnam era stuff. I have seen the cobra at least twice and noone seemed to look at it, luckily for me. SO hopefully its still back home in va beach in the local walmarts. If not I am sure it won't be too hard to truck down. I am still amazed it was 40$ for something that awesome. Very very cool.

How durable are the propeller blades? Are the pilots easy to fit in?

Heh I wonder if 21st will retool it and make it into an AH-1Z, the new marine model. With 4 rotors.

Man I am definitely gonna try to get an F-16 and a cobra next year.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:10 pm

Shin Densetsu wrote:How durable are the propeller blades? Are the pilots easy to fit in?
The pilot fits in aesome! It's one of the few aircraft where the entire canopy can come off so you have full access to the cockpit! It's very nicely done.
The blades are thick, not like BBi's blades. They are a bit on the heavy side since they are so thick, but I doubt they'll droop.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:22 pm

Wow man! Seems awesome, especially for the price. I guess the rotors were the only thing really worrying me. I take it the canopy can still open on a hinge from the side right?

And is that a custom green camo one or is that an actual release? The only one I saw in stores was the grey one. And the pilot seems to fit in there well in your pic(unlike the boxed version I saw in stores where...lol the pilot is positioned so he looks dead in a coffin "standing" in his seat lol.

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

my first helico

Post by supersonicfifi » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:31 pm

my first helico was the green cobra and i must say that it s fantastic ! i just changed the rocket pods to have more clearence with the skids and bought 2 bbi helico pilot to fit in it ( my best reference for pictures is the magazine WORLD AIR POWER JOURNAL - in the latest issue there is pics of the Zulu cobra with 4 blades rotor....) concerning the 21st CT cobra s ROTOR it s very nice NO problemo .... go for it ! :wink:

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

rotor problem

Post by supersonicfifi » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:35 pm

the biggest issue with the rotor is the large dust collecting surface on the blades ! isnt it tmanthegreat :wink:

You have me convinced i m going to go for the F 16 !

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:35 pm

More F-16 pics would be great too! and cobra!(if you guys have time) :D

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:53 pm

I want to take a shot with one of each helicopter made so far for comparison. The Apache, Pave Hawk, Kiowa, Little Bird, Cobra, and Huey. Possibly will do that during shoots tonight...

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:00 pm

Shin Densetsu wrote: And is that a custom green camo one or is that an actual release? The only one I saw in stores was the grey one.
The green camo was an actual release, I guess, the S2 version of the AH-1W Cobra.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:44 pm

Yeah, the Land Camo Cobra was S-2.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:08 am

Just shot last night, one version of every Helicopter in the 1:18 series (Mix of 21st Century Toys and BBi)

Unfortunatly, I ran out of time to shoot the F-16. I have too many other aircraft to shoot.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:33 pm

Yes boys I have broken into the 1/18 world, first earlier this week when I recieved my jolly roger BBI F/A-18 for Xmas(WOW this makes all the gijoe planes look SMALL!!...this scale RULES, yes my arms get heavy playing with this thing but WOW this makes me want a tomcat even more!!! 1/18 scale rules!! Truly the toy for the big boy so to speak, I grew up playing with the small gijoes, and still do now, but man 1/18 scale is AWESOME!! So much detail and STILL PLAYABLE AND DURABLE! HEck a ton more durable than model kits and I was never one for models to begin with.)

Anyways hungates discounted their 60$ to 35.99. Did I buy it?HELL YEA!!

MAn this thing is awesome. My only beefs? The control sticks and gunnery controls in the cockpits should have been soft plastic like on BBI's stuff.
However the rotors on this cobra dissaessemble easily so taking this to the apartment should be no hassle! Also, the canopy instructions?> Man it makes it easier to brake! They show you in the instructions where to hold onto the cockpit BUT this makes it prone to breakage and once I did pinch that area and pulled it up, the gunner's cockpit panel broke off, however it is held in by posts and stays in place and can be glued into place. SO no prob for me! Also man since the control sticks are hard plastic, its hard getting a figure to even sit into the gunner cockpit? Hmm perhaps the panel there is suppposed to come of? Who knows.

I was SURPRISED at the fact that 21st SCULPTED the dials and guages! BBI just paints theres, but not like I am copmplianing, BBI and 21st make GREAT 1/18 products and always have good fun products out, they each have their own different strengths.

I find it easier to open the side canopy doors and then reach in and pull UP on the canopy to pop it off. This is a lot better than doing what the instruction booklet says to remove the canopy as this could lead to a gunner panel breakage like it did on mine(the canopy tabs are right next to the console panel and its a tight fit).

Anyways I am very impressed with the cobra. I can see why you guys like the BBI pilots better, yea this cobra pilot is....well yea that soft plastic wasn't the best and he has no helmet.
And the soft plastic has its problems.

THe opening panels and accessoiries like the suitcase are wonderful and man this is one durable copter, don't let the rotors fool you! This is DURABLE as hell!

And since it is a thin copter I can just tug it under my arm and hold it and pretend like its flying. Its convenient and awesome., I also with the gun turret could elevate but its cool nonetheless. The opening surfaces are very cool.

I want the BBI apache now, I feel dumb for not buying it @TRU for 25$ on discount last year!! UGH!!!
So for spring I am looking at an F-16 hopefully, and maybe an apache. I also want to get a corsair and F-104, maybe a mustang if I get into it enough. No wonder you guys want a HIND so much! I want one too!!

Anymore F-16 pics anyone>? THat bird looks beautiful too. And thanks guys for posting pics of that and the copters! Post more if possible! Hmm maybe I can post some too!

digger

cool

Post by digger » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:05 am

Shin, good to hear you got the bug :D
Now you see what we are so crazy about :shock:
And you also see how that want list can grow exponentially with each purchase :lol:
Glad you finally took the plunge, now good luck :wink:

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:14 am

Awesome pics P51. :)

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:53 pm

Beautiful Pic P-51!

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

BBI F-16 pics? Anyone?

Post by MiG29K » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:20 pm

The F-16 is better in detail out of the box vs the F/A-18...the Hornet does need a little work and I made some changes...

1. The Sidewinder Missiles are now removable.

2. Landing gear doors were upgraded and modified

3. UHF/TACAN Antennaes and Pitot Tubes added.

4. Vertical Stabilizers/Tail sections are now maneuverable.

5. The engines had this fake looking turbine and they were removed.

6. Carrier Ground Crewmembers were made. 2 LSO/Safety, 1 Ordnance, 2 Taxi Captains (Yellow Jerseys) 2 Catapult/Arresting Gear Officers.

The previous post shows great pics of the F-16 plus I've added a few with the pics of the FA-18 Upgrade:

Last edited by MiG29K on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:23 pm

Heh, that is cool! What did you make the streamers out of? The ground crew?

Thanks for sharing the pictures!!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Remove Before Flight Flags and Carrier Deck Crewmen

Post by MiG29K » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:16 pm

Teamski...

The Remove Before Flight Streamers were made from this Red Tape that is used by the Apparel Industry. The tape is used for marking mistakes on prototype garments. Basically its Red Masking Tape.

The Carrier Deck Crewmen were made from BBI's NAVY SEAL RADIOMAN. He originally came with an MP5 PDW, A Satcom Radio/Team Communication Radio, Backpack, Pistol Bet and 2 MP5 Triple Magazine Pouches on his Vest. I removed all his gear on his vest and used Contour putty to cover up some of the holes, sanded down the vest to nothing then on some of the figures I cut out the Strobelight pouch from the webbelt and superglued it to the left side of his vest. I then painted the vests in their respective colours correlating to the job.

Can you tell how bored I was?

Take care,

Rob

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

gj

Post by eddie372 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:36 am

Hey Mig29, great job on the detailing, and thanks for sharing info on the ground crew mods. I love the picture where you can see the men's shadow on the ground. very realistic and great detail.

eddie372
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

yeah !

Post by supersonicfifi » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:47 am

8) i am about to receive my first F 18 and was thinking about detailling the surface controls (tail & flaps !!!) to have a more realistic stance ! How did you do that is it easy to saw the flaperons ? how did you make them work ? (i was thinking about drilling a hole and putting an axe acrosse the tails to have both tails on the same level ) what is the best option ? and what about the wings flaps ( only the inner part i guess ! ) does anybody allready tried ???????????????????

thanks ( i am disgusted there is a guy selling on ebay a lot of 2 F16 + 1 F 18 but he won't ship outside the US !!!!) i am looking now for an F 16 but aviatornut told me he will receive some samples in JUNE ! i can't wait now to receive my F 18 !!!!

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Supersonic FiFi --> In regards to your question

Post by MiG29K » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:59 am

The FA-18s tail design made it easy enought to use an 'X-Acto' Blade to cut through the plastic. I had to design the hinge system using thin plastic dowels. I used drill bits to manually bore the holes for this to work. For the tail section, No I did not use an 'Axe' or bar running straight across. The tails move independently from each other. The way I did it is kind of hard to explain and I would have to draw it out for you. It is basic in concept but doable. There are many ways to approach this and even using a cross bar so they move in unison would work too. This system is also used in Revell's 1/32 scale F-14 Tomcat. I want to get the Air Brake to function and I will include the hydraulic piston for it. It will be a challenge and it is still in the planning stage. As for the wings. Since I'm not familiar with how the actual flaps behave (I want to try to be accurate on this one) I'm still debating on whether I should leave them alone or attempt to do it.

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

well done

Post by supersonicfifi » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:24 pm

8) thanx ! can t wait to start !

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Supersonicfifi --> The F/A-18

Post by MiG29K » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:16 pm

So where are you getting your F/A-18 from? I saw the Australian Air Force version and it is really cool. The only two other versions are U.S. Navy Squadrons. (Marauders and Golden Dragons)

MattCFII
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MattCFII » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:41 am

Guys,

A bump and question from a newbie here. I'm about to pre-order an bbi F-16 since it looks like they'll be available again in October. It's going to be the first 1:18 I've ordered from the internet. My other models have been store bought, like 21c 1:18s from Walmart.

I'd love to get an 122nd tail like MiG29K has since I'm from the Fort Wayne area. What does it take to get specific tail? Is there a place that lets me pick it or is it luck of the draw? Does anybody know what tails the next production run will have?

Thanks for the help!

digger

hello

Post by digger » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:13 am

Welcome!
Sadly you are no longer able to pick your tail. One online store had a set of exclusive F-16 that allowed you to pick your ANG with about 8 states to choose from. These are now long sold out. There has been no word of another run of these but you never know. Supposedly the F-16 due in October is another run of the Wolf Pack version but I don't think we can say that for sure until we see it.