What is the best 1/18 WWII US Jeep??

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

What is the best 1/18 WWII US Jeep??

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:02 pm

A few weeks ago I won my first US Jeep, its diecast metal and has plastic parts attached. Its made by a company called Gate. Then a few days ago I won a 21st Century version. I like them both, the 21st version has the .30 cal and sits slightly lower and is all plastic while the Gate version has working stearing and is diecast.

While I was comparing them I wondered if there are others. I know Auto Art makes one but they are not cheap. What else? Are there others that anyone knows about??

Here they are next to each other. They both have good detail in different areas.

Threetoughtrucks

Re: What is the best 1/18 WWII US Jeep??

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:15 pm

The Devil is in the details.

I always liked the Gate, especially at the $5 price. I loved the steering and the detailed engine paint. Couple things I don't like about the Gate Jeep are the thick wood like steering wheel, the lack of hood lock down latches and the tread on the tires. WW2 Jeeps used metal steering wheels and the real NDT tires looked more like the 21C Jeep tires.

Danbury Mint made a Jeep in 1/16 that is super. I have to Rocket Launcher Jeep.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:56 pm

I've always heard a lot of positive comments about the Gate Jeep on this board. The Auto Art (?) one is likely the best, but as I recall, it was pricey. I got a 21c Jeep back in 2004 - for an item that was part of the first series of 21c 1:18 vehicles, I think its detail holds up very well and I've never felt I needed another. I've got some of the 21c US Paratroopers in mine and have loaded the Jeep down with various Build-a-Rama accessories.

BTW, why is it that these different companies all make their 1:18 and other scale Jeeps in 82nd AB markings?
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:01 am

Solido made several diecast versions of the 1:18 jeep. SAS version was in tan and green. They used to be a good value for under $20 but I do not know what they are today!
Check out the SSHQ database for pics.
http://www.sshqdb.com/18/index.php?cat=50
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by acisne » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:31 am

Search on ebay for "welly Jeep" and you will see theirs. Pretty good for the price point. They just release a dirty version with a driver. A lot of detail (right or wrong) for the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-TON-US-WILL ... 5d3e1b9bb9

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:02 am

acisne wrote:Search on ebay for "welly Jeep" and you will see theirs. Pretty good for the price point. They just release a dirty version with a driver. A lot of detail (right or wrong) for the money.

Is the company called "Welly" ? Looks great!

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:58 am

acisne wrote:Search on ebay for "welly Jeep" and you will see theirs. Pretty good for the price point. They just release a dirty version with a driver. A lot of detail (right or wrong) for the money.

WOW! This one really looks good. Does anyone know if the driver figure can be removed and will stand up? I have the both 21st Century green and winter white jeeps. A long way back there was a jeep dealer selling the Gates jeep through Ebay and it was posted on our board. The guy was selling them for 5.00 each. He had a ton of them for a jeep promotion that didn't go so well and wanted to get rid of them. Most of us were skeptical at first. But after the first guy got his in the mail and told us how good it was - we ALL started buying them. The more guys that purchased them higher the price rose. Some guys bought 4 or 5 of them when they were 5.00 each. It was an awesome find.
I have another 1/18 jeep with a cloth/canvas roof that is really nice. Not sure who makes it.
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:58 am

The same guy that is selling the "Welly" Jeep is also selling the WW2 G-4 with three figs, for $99. Good price.

Anybody have this Welly Jeep? Does it have an engine? Just bothers me that they leave off something as simple but important as hood latches. :mrgreen:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Karl Dak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Karl Dak » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:01 am

Interesting topic guys. I own the Welly jeep and absolutely love it. The dirty version comes with a figure. I believe it is removable but not positive. I own the clean version.

In fact, here's a few shots:

I have not tried opening the hood (seems tight), but I've seen pictures with it open.

It's pretty solid with some plastic pieces. Steering wheel is plastic and very hard to turn the wheels with it (esp. with fear of breaking).

Overall, it's a nice vehicle with good scale. Rubber tires add to the quality.