Aichi D3A Val

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Aichi D3A Val

Post by gburch » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:31 pm

grunt1 wrote:I use a variety of printer types and shops depending on whether the goal is cost, detail or repeatability. Almost all of them use the cubic volume of material as the primary cost measurement. At this time, it's the most fair way to align all of their costs with the value of what is produced. The biggest cost factor for the service is the machine time which includes the machines themselves, operators, maintenance, repairs, and support from the manufacturers. The time it takes to print an items is directly related to the amount of cubic volume of material so that works well for them. -- snip --
OK, I see that, and it makes sense; time is the key factor, both in opportunity cost for the machine and operators, and in machine component cycles, which roughly equals wear and tear on the machine. That's pretty much completely consonant with my experience and growing grasp of the economics of running a printer.
grunt1 wrote:You really should give Shapeways a try. After your most recent posts I now get that a big part of the project for you is doing it all in yourself in your house and I'm down with that. And it's really cool to watch something you drew take physical form right before your eyes! Anyway, we all have our missions. :-)

At some point though, it ends up more like not publishing a great article you wrote (that we all want to read) because you want to do the layout and run the printing press yourself. I also play with the idea of a printer at home, but at this time the technology is changing too fast for that to make sense. In the near future, you work out your model or get one from someone else, upload it to Kinko's 3D (Shapeways today) and then run down the street if you have one nearby or wait for the UPS guy.

At this point I think you can safely claim, and we are your witnesses :-), that you can score mission accomplished on the printer portion of your project. If the members here had a vote, they would probably want you to spend more time working on manifold, thickness, and loose shell issues with the Val STL file and not so much swapping motors out of the maker bot. Not to mention working flaps, proper dihedral, and rivet count! Maybe it's worth a poll. ;-)
Well, there's a few points there. First, in some important ways, the technology isn't really changing. It's basically "there." What's changing is the economics and reliability of it. I've documented the bad somewhat more than the good (more as a matter of mental therapy and a personal record than anything else). I've pumped something like FIFTY POUNDS of ABS through my Makerbot since I got it. Since the last round of upgrades, I've created four full V-2 kits as a test of production processes without a single meaningful glitch in the machine.

Second, while the idea of running down to the 3D Kinkos after uploading a file to them is a possible way the technology will make it into the wider public, there a BIG issue with that -- the benefit of true rapid prototyping. CADing right next to the printer has the benefit of a smooth, constant feedback loop in the design and fabrication process. Being able to IMMEDIATELY turn a design change into a print, see how it works out, tweak it again and pump that change through the printer is a MAJOR element of how this process has worked out for me. And sometimes seeing how a print fails due to a design flaw AS IT'S BEING PRINTED is important. You won't get that from Shapeways or even the neighborhood 3d Kinkos.

And then there's "my dream:" With the price of these machines where they are now, I really think this is something a LOT more people in the hobby will be able to do before very long. You've seen my rants here on this before, but it's something I think about ALL THE TIME. And here's the really scary part: I'm not just thinking about the model hobby. I'm just crazy enough to think that there's the seed of a real economic and social revolution in the "Maker Movement," one that takes power away from big companies and governments that don't work worth a damn any more, and puts it back into the hands of "citizen craftsmen," who can thereby have much more control over their own lives.

... OK, I'm certifiable ... lock me up ...

grunt1
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by grunt1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:13 pm

The interesting thing about prototypes in the feedback loop is that while they're useful to you, me and a lot of those who a newer to this to have the parts in hand, the pro's for the most part do the vast majority of their functional testing electronically. It's not that the loop isn't important, but it's more about reducing steps and iterations as well as introducing automated testing when possible.

This whole video is interesting if you want to see how a 3D projects starts from scratch, but skip to 7:30 to see how the magic of doing the functional testing through assembly modelling in the software versus with physical prototypes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h12zuZ0yyb0

Skip ahead on this one to 1:30 to see how automating the assembly modelling speeds things up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDxcBNMVTN4

As far as a movement goes, the current dynamics will and to some degree already have for a small number of people, change when manufacturing becomes possible for the masses. To me the most interesting thing is happening now. Untapped innovation and ideas combine with the accessibility of low cost prototyping and short run manufacturing. ie, the citizen craftsman. Great name btw.

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:06 pm

grunt1 wrote:The interesting thing about prototypes in the feedback loop is that while they're useful to you, me and a lot of those who a newer to this to have the parts in hand, the pro's for the most part do the vast majority of their functional testing electronically. It's not that the loop isn't important, but it's more about reducing steps and iterations as well as introducing automated testing when possible.

This whole video is interesting if you want to see how a 3D projects starts from scratch, but skip to 7:30 to see how the magic of doing the functional testing through assembly modelling in the software versus with physical prototypes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h12zuZ0yyb0

Skip ahead on this one to 1:30 to see how automating the assembly modelling speeds things up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDxcBNMVTN4
Those Solidworks jockeys would drop dead if they could see how I do things. I'm completely self-taught, and still essentially a surface modeler, getting to "manifoldness" through sheer brute force. I've basically built a toolkit of my own techniques based on duplicating manual drafting techniques in the computer. I literally make objects that operate like old fashioned drafting tools and use them to dimension, align, etc. I'm sure no one in the world does CAD like I do, but it works for me -- it's intuitive to me but would drive a modern, true CAD professional totally crazy.
grunt1 wrote:As far as a movement goes, the current dynamics will and to some degree already have for a small number of people, change when manufacturing becomes possible for the masses. To me the most interesting thing is happening now. Untapped innovation and ideas combine with the accessibility of low cost prototyping and short run manufacturing. ie, the citizen craftsman. Great name btw.
I thunk that term up on my own -- maybe someone else uses it, but I haven't seen it. You're right about "untapped innovation" -- in my more hopeful moments, I see a nation of Edisons waiting to be unleashed.

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:05 am

Last of the weekend's work. More panel lines on the fuselage, and work on the exhaust:

The exhaust is a bear, and only just begun. The fuselage surface goes from convex to concave in a very short space there, which is quite a hard problem in visualization and getting the contour smooth.

The panel lines on the fuselage are beginning to be a real pain in the a$$ in terms of accuracy. It seems like every profile artist and 3-view draftsman who has tackled the Val has had a different idea about the precise dimensions of some of the panels. All my sources pretty much agree about the location of the two long horizontal lines seen in this image, and the vertical line where the tail paneling began. But the vertical lines along the fuselage between the wing and the canopy are all over the place.

The WIki page on the Val indicates that there are only two survivors: one D3A-2 under restoration by Planes of Fame (and I'm pretty sure the D3A-2 had different panel lines), and a wreck not far from where I am at the Nimitz Museum:

So far, I haven't been able to determine definitively online whether the one at the Nimitz Museum is a D3A-1. From the look of the canopy, I think it may be:

http://www.cuisineconcepts.org/wp-conte ... _25161.jpg

I may call them if I get a chance this week and, if it is a D3A-1, may take a weekend drive up there with a tape measure ...

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:11 am

A QUESTION OF ACCURACY:

As I get down to some issues of fine detail, I'm struggling with the lack of high quality information about the Val. I made the above image to help me assess just where I'm going with this project on the fine details. (If you click on it, you'll see that it's a very large image by the standards of this forum -- please let me know if it's crashing browsers, and I'll substitute a smaller version.)

The four plan views are the current state of my mesh on the ends (the wire-frame view on the left, and the quick-and-dirty rendered view on the right), bracketing the three plan views I've been mainly using in model construction. I "normalized" the images to have the same dimension from tip of the tail to the front of the cowl, to within the resolution of the images themselves.

As you can see, there's a good deal of variation in how the folks who created those middle three images rendered details. Looking closely, you can see things like the contour of the cowl, the details of paneling and even basic dimensions like the distance between the wing and the stab, the relationship of the cockpit to the wing, and other things.

Looking at just about every image of the Val available on the web and now definitely having read every word available on the web, I know SOME of that variation is due to variations in versions of the actual aircraft, even in the over-all "D3A-1" series of production. But I selected the images above as being as close as possible to the production series that would have been in service in late 1941.

Amazon says there's a new book on the Val coming out in December:

http://www.amazon.com/Aichi-99-Kanbaku- ... 673&sr=1-2

From what I can tell, the one other book about the plane out there probably doesn't have the detail I need, is out of print and hard to get and pretty expensive. Obviously, I'll get the new book when it comes out, but it looks like it's an operational, rather than an engineering, history.

I've also looked at photos of all the existing models of the D3A1 Val, and I can tell that Hasegawa, for instance, has some details that lie within the variation of the images I've been using, but also differ slightly from them.

So, here's my dilemma: Given the lack of survivors and the extreme lack of truly detailed information in the public domain, I'm stuck with essentially "averaging" how people have been envisioning the Val. Is this acceptable?

Presumably, if I can ever get my hands on some real blueprints, I could adjust the mesh in most instances to conform to them. But for now, I'm basically engaging in informed speculation on some precise details...

A final note on this. Some of this straining at gnats is probably a little silly, because models ALWAYS involve compromises on details. One of the biggest is the exaggeration of the width and depth of panel lines. That'll be the case with this model ...

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:41 am

That is just how I do things is " average "

I use every source of reference in doing one of my projects. Drawings, pictures and scale models. Sometimes everything is different :x

So what are you to do? Average everything together.

I usually do mods and a few full builds . Many a time I will make something to " scale " and find out it is either too big or too small to fit on the vehicle I am working on. Then you have to adjust it to fit.

Now I have a few projects under my belt and after making my own scale drawing I check and make sure it fits before I start cutting plastic.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:13 pm

pickelhaube wrote:That is just how I do things is " average "

I use every source of reference in doing one of my projects. Drawings, pictures and scale models. Sometimes everything is different :x

So what are you to do? Average everything together.
With the blessings of the maestro, I shall proceed to use my best judgment, and SWAG where necessary ...

aae83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aae83 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:10 pm

You may have already found and discounted these, but there are two books on the Val available today from HobbyLink Japan. I've ordered books from them in the past and been pleased with the responsiveness and (what seemed to me like) relatively low cost shipping.

Maru Mechanic #11: Yokosuka D4Y Suisei & Aichi D3A (~$35)
http://www.hlj.com/product/KJSMM11

Bunrindo Famous Airplanes of the World Series: IJN Type 99 Carrier Based Dive Bomber Val (~$15)
http://www.hlj.com/product/BUNFA130

The "definitive" source would likely be Matsuba Minoru's Design With Precision, Volume 3, WWII Attack Bombers & Recon. Planes. That one is out of print, hard to come by and expensive when you do, but his drawings are excellent and well-researched.

Hope this helps, though.

P.S. Bob's Aircraft Documentation has a few drawings listed, but these may just be hardcopies of what you've already found. In any case, it's another possible resource:
http://bobsairdoc.com/Aircraft_Doc_Catalog07.pdf (p.179)
Was it for this my life I sought? Maybe so, and maybe not...

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:15 am

A test piece to take a look at panel detail on the vertical stab:

Just to get an idea of size and other issues, I printed the rudder with the fin. Because the rudder is a separate piece, the printer didn't handle the transition between the two well, so the line between those two pieces shouldn't be taken as indicative of any kind of final quality. Also, there's been no contouring of the rudder in terms of the "fabric over frame" shape. Likewise, the bottom of the piece doesn't have the elements I've developed to ensure a clean line there. What I was looking for here was just to see how the panel lines would turn out with some quick finishing work, to determine if I was on the right track. In that regard, this experiment was a success, so I move on ...
aae83 wrote:You may have already found and discounted these, but there are two books on the Val available today from HobbyLink Japan. I've ordered books from them in the past and been pleased with the responsiveness and (what seemed to me like) relatively low cost shipping.

Maru Mechanic #11: Yokosuka D4Y Suisei & Aichi D3A (~$35)
http://www.hlj.com/product/KJSMM11

Bunrindo Famous Airplanes of the World Series: IJN Type 99 Carrier Based Dive Bomber Val (~$15)
http://www.hlj.com/product/BUNFA130

The "definitive" source would likely be Matsuba Minoru's Design With Precision, Volume 3, WWII Attack Bombers & Recon. Planes. That one is out of print, hard to come by and expensive when you do, but his drawings are excellent and well-researched.

Hope this helps, though.

P.S. Bob's Aircraft Documentation has a few drawings listed, but these may just be hardcopies of what you've already found. In any case, it's another possible resource:
http://bobsairdoc.com/Aircraft_Doc_Catalog07.pdf (p.179)
I'm aware of those resources. I'm trying to get my hands on the first one, although the actual profile paintings are ones I already have access to. There may be other details in the photos, though, I haven't seen. The second book is on back order. I already have access to the drawings at "Bob's" -- they're like the others I've seen -- somewhat variable in the details. I didn't know about Minoru's book -- thanks for the tip. How did you find out about it??

aae83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aae83 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:56 am

Crap: I missed the backordered note on the Bunrindo book. I swear it wasn't that way a couple of days ago when I started my search. Sorry for the misguidance there.

Yeah, the photos were what I thought might be most useful. Personally, before I started averaging any sources, I'd pitch anything that didn't match reasonably well with available photos. Too much total crap out there.

Speaking of photos, I happened across a site I hadn't found before and saw some "different" images of the Val-higher quality or larger size, posted by a guy in Spain. I had to register for the site but it was free. Here's the link (the Val is about halfway down the page):
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircra ... 476-3.html

Have been hunting the Minoru books on and off for some time. Can't recall where I first heard of them (maybe largescaleplanes.com?), but a fellow member on the board had some of MM's Rufe drawings, which are spectacular. When I first learned of them they were already out of print, but I did a search and found a place in France (Lela Presse) that had Volumes 4 and 10 of the series, which I promptly ordered. They are awesome, and I would gladly pay $100-150+ for any other volume in good condition (anyone want to part with theirs?). I found out about Volume 3 by looking in the back of Volume 10, which lists all volumes and their contents, to answer your question.

Since then, some of the drawings have been rebound as the Best Selection series, of which there are 4 volumes. Unfortunately, the D3A is not among them. I have those 4 volumes (ordered from HLJ), which appear also to be hard to find now. This one's out of stock but gives an idea of the quality of the drawings (G3M Nell on the left):
http://www.hlj.com/product/KNT57320

Printing work looking great so far.

Cheers.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:57 pm

You know, Dragon Models have pictures on their boxes of their models in 3D. The pictures of the models.

I wonder if those are the 3d's that could have been used to make their prototypes ?

I wonder if 3d printing has been here longer than we think.

This Val is going to be sweet !!

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:27 pm

pickelhaube wrote:You know, Dragon Models have pictures on their boxes of their models in 3D. The pictures of the models.

I wonder if those are the 3d's that could have been used to make their prototypes ?

I wonder if 3d printing has been here longer than we think.
They may well have used 3D models to run CNC lathes to cut the molds, rather than to make a prototype from which molds are made as a negative.
pickelhaube wrote:This Val is going to be sweet !!
... in about six or eight months, maybe . . .

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:28 am

Saturday morning work:

Lieutenant Watanabe inspects test articles:
On the left is a section taken of the outboard wingtip, to test panel lines on the leading edge and top of the wing, on the right is a more or less complete section of the horizontal stab, testing panel lines there.

Current state of the mesh:
A couple of more panel lines cut in the forward fuse element, and refinement of contouring on fin and horizontal stab, as well as "complete" panel lines on those pieces.

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:48 am

Fantastic work Greg! I've been working on a Val for quite awhile now but doing it the old fashioned way. I like your way much better, truly excellent! 8)
Positive B/S/T refs: hworth18, coreyeagle48, raiderad6, pickelhaube, JOC, american_grenadier, xddave, tmanthegreat

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:13 am

Sunday morning milestone. These pics document major success in fabricating a completely new system for joining parts firmly and accurately (see below for a detailed description):

So ... I've been struggling with how to join all the "non-round" parts of the Val accurately and firmly. I've been less than satisfied with the way fin parts of the beta version of the V-2 are joined: It's hard to get them aligned and straight to each other with the printed-in tab-and-slot- system I've used up to now. A few days ago, I had an "aha!" moment about a possible new way to join wing-like parts and have been working on the mesh elements to do this ever since. Basically, the idea is to print a cylindrical opening into the interior of a part, sized to take a piece of styrene tubing. This tubing will then mate into similar round slots in the piece to which it is to be joined. The big question was whether the printer could create these slots with sufficient precision to make the system work.

All week, I've been printing little blocks with open cylinders in them to get the sizing right. Once I got a snug, round slot, I then merged those interior openings into the first part that's close to being in a final enough shape and mating surface to do an experiment -- the horizontal stab.

Pic 1: Print begins. You can see the printer creating the round slots.
Pic 2: Print proceeds successfully past slots.
Pic 3: Finished piece on production-level build "raft," giving the part a clean, straight bottom edge.
Pic 4: Stab sawed from production raft. A quick sanding job on heavy grit paper laid flat cleans up the mating surface.
Pic 5: Tubing cut to size for slots.
Pic 6: Tubing in place.

I'm 99% sure this is going to work -- the tubing is very, very firmly gripped by the slots and will provide a strong, straight and precisely aligned mating system. As the aerospace folks say, this morning's printing has "retired a lot of risk" from this project

Of course . . . this means the four sets of V-2 fins I now have printed will have to be ditched, because there's no way I'll go "live" with the system I've been using on them up to now . . .

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:28 am

This is all pretty cool.

This is high tech stuff :D :D :D

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:52 am

A little weekday morning mesh work. First pass at defining the contours between the solid and clear parts of the canopy elements:
Somewhere along the line, I'm going to have to find time to build a vacu-form machine and learn how to use it (!!)

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:46 am

More weekday work. First pass at detail contouring of canopy parts completed:
Not surprisingly, there's a LOT of fine detail in this area. I'm not entirely happy with how everything here has turned out, but I needed to make a full first pass through this task to see how everything fit together and how the ideas I had for treating the canopy framing in the mesh stage worked out.

Beyond this, many, many fabricating challenges lie ahead on the canopy. I'm just at the stage of completely unstructured idea generation at this point. As time goes by, I expect this will be an area in which I end up experimenting with lots of different approaches before I end up finding something that might kinda sorta work.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:54 am

Making things work is not easy. Maybe you can do 2 static canopies opened and closed.

I spent well over a day working out the slider for my Horten.

2 FULL days making the canopy itself. :shock:

aae83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aae83 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:58 am

That looks amazing, Greg: it really brings out the essence of the Val! I look forward to seeing how you approach the fab on the canopy. Innovative techniques there would really help the cottage industry, for sure!

- aae

Chevy72buff
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Chevy72buff » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:26 pm

I found this thread as I was searching the net for ANY japanese bombers/torpedo aircraft in 1/32 scale...I don't know why because I know they aren't out there....except...

G Burch,

When you started this thread you asked about interest in a Val in 1/32 as well as 1/18. What scale are you currently working in? It appears to be 1/18 as the parts appear much larger compared to other objects in the pictures. Does your equipment allow you to change scale rather easily?

I for one am very interested in seeing/purchasing/building a Val in both 1/32 and 1/18...1/24 wouldn't be bad either to go with a Trumpter A6M2. I'm sure I echo many others when I say I would also like to see a B5N, B6N, or A7A in 1/32 or other large scale. A SB2C Helldiver or AD Skyraider would nice on the American side of the house too.

I will continue to keep track of your progress with great anticipation of possibly getting my hands on one!

Thanks!
Chevy72buff

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:59 am

Chevy72buff wrote:I found this thread as I was searching the net for ANY japanese bombers/torpedo aircraft in 1/32 scale...I don't know why because I know they aren't out there....except...

G Burch,

When you started this thread you asked about interest in a Val in 1/32 as well as 1/18. What scale are you currently working in? It appears to be 1/18 as the parts appear much larger compared to other objects in the pictures. Does your equipment allow you to change scale rather easily?

I for one am very interested in seeing/purchasing/building a Val in both 1/32 and 1/18...1/24 wouldn't be bad either to go with a Trumpter A6M2. I'm sure I echo many others when I say I would also like to see a B5N, B6N, or A7A in 1/32 or other large scale. A SB2C Helldiver or AD Skyraider would nice on the American side of the house too.

I will continue to keep track of your progress with great anticipation of possibly getting my hands on one!

Thanks!
Chevy72buff
The work you see here is 1/18. Scaling down from there is definitely possible, but it involves much more than just plugging in a scale conversion ratio. Most parts are designed to have elements that are printed at or very close to the printer's smallest resolution in 1/18, so going to a smaller scale requires "thickening" or eliminating those elements so they don't disappear as being smaller than the printer can lay down plastic. 1/18 ends up being an ideal scale for the tools I'm using right now, because the resolution of the printer is "good enough" for most (but not all) small details (I can do panel lines, but can't get rivets, even at 1/18, for instance).

Regarding progress on the VAL project, I'm going through an EXTREMELY busy period with real-world work through Christmas, and I'm basically shelving the Val in favor of devoting what time I have to trying to stay on schedule for releasing the V-2 kit as soon as I can after the first of the year. I'm GUESSING I'll be able to get back to work on the Val in late January, at the earliest.

Chevy72buff
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Chevy72buff » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:24 pm

G Burch,

Hey, thanks for the information. I can sympathize with the busy work load! Life has a way of taking its own course despite the best laid plans. When you do get back to work on it, I will definitely be interested in seeing how it turns out.

I had never heard of 3D printing until I found this thread. Now that I've read other posts you've made I think this is very cool and open doors for "do-it-yourselfers" like never before. Anyway, as you said in your V2 thread I will buy your stuff so you don't feel like a complete idiot!

Chevy72buff

Chevy72buff
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Chevy72buff » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:49 am

G burch,

Wow, it's been a while since anyone has chimed in on this thread. I know you've be facing some challenges in life in recent months. So, I just wanted to let you know that at least I haven't forgot the great work you've done on your projects and I'm hoping you are able to return to provide some updates soon!

Take care,
Chevy72buff

Warbird Kid
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Warbird Kid » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:54 am

I've been watching this one from the beginning and loving the progress. Hope to see it finished soon and available for purchase! I know i'll buy one.
Keep Em' Flying,
Christopher Soltis

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/ctairandspace
Warbird Wear: http://warbirdwear.com/

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?