POST AVENGER FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Sabrefan » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:54 pm

Nice, I love the way the Avenger looks in the Bunker Hill scheme. Now where will I put that model? :oops:
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:39 am

The only Avenger I've seen in my AO is the one at the American Airpower Museum in Farmingdale. :wink: As for 21st's Avenger it never made it to the walmarts in this part of the North East.
The funny thing is that during WWII Grumman was making them right here in Bethpage on Long Island. I wonder how many 1/18th Avengers walmart could sold with thousands of former Grumman employes still living on the Island? :roll:

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: POST AVENGER FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE!

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:48 pm

I had to bump this, just remember people!
At one time you were griping about paying 35$ for a Avenger.

and you wonder what happened....

Really I was looking for pictures of the Flight 19 Avengers, and trying to see some boxed photos, so don't get mad that I bumped it.
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:48 am

Not a problem - its good for all the newbies to see an old thread and what our discussions were like 5-6 years ago. This thread began July 27 2006, so just a tad over six years ago! Dang how time flies. Funny seeing all the posts from the old members now long gone, including the good and the bad. That twerp Catman would be 18 now :P

For the record, I never saw Avengers at the six Wal Marts in the Fresno, CA area. Never! My local hobbytown eventually got in Avengers, but I never saw them at a local Wal Mart - and six years later I'm still annoyed :lol:

But for perspective, look at the comments in the first pages of the thread - we are complaining about the $76 Wal Mart price and the fact that the online retailers were charging the same - $76 would be a bargain today! Then they did go down to $35 and there were those fabled "piles of Avengers" at every Wal Mart save mine. We were actually paying that little for them!

The release of the Avenger, especially at mass retail, was something to be celebrated, but the lack of screw covers on the S1 plane was a serious breach in QC and overall, the Atlantic version sold poorly. Sales would certainly have been improved with better QC and a more recognizable scheme such as the Flight 19 special edition planes or even the never-produced George Bush Avenger. Those might have caught the general public's eye better... Funny how we complain about the high prices now, but I'll tell you, save for the JSI F-14, all my other new aircraft models have had better detail and screw covers - and I didn't have to rely on Wal Mart's crappy distribution system. Worth the higher price to me :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:58 pm

I'm not really a newbie, I just didn't post all that much. I still have scars from the A-10 hunger strike :wink:

I was able to snag a Atlantic for around 25$, at the same time they had everything from the Cobra, to the Tiger stripeF-104, and Dragon smoke F-86 for 15$ on clearance for months.

Hindsight is trully a pain.

the FW's and Sky captain P's were around for years before finally selling out.

I'm happy to say that I snagged a Flight 19 Avenger this week for a good price.
Happy to finally get one, now that I have some room for birds again.
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:29 pm

The Atlantic version of the Avenger would sold well, had walfarts sold
them on this side of the country.........the side with the Atlantic! :evil:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Jolly Roger wrote:I'm not really a newbie, I just didn't post all that much. I still have scars from the A-10 hunger strike :wink:
I know you've been around for a while, just bringing up old threads (especially this old) is fun - and the people that weren't around in 2006 can see what we were talking about. Makes me realize how long ago the "good old days" really were and how long I've been posting here (since the original GPXD site back in 2003).

Glad you were able to get a Flight 19 Avenger at a reasonable price - they are getting harder to find. I just pulled my Flight 19 plane out of storage and swapped it for the time being with my Bunker Hill aircraft (I saw Spielberg's film "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" the other day, which naturally got me thinking of Flight 19 and Avengers :P ). The Bunker Hill Avenger is my personal favorite, though, with the Flight 19 coming in second. I had one of those S1 Atlantic Avengers with the missing screw covers that I got from a fellow board member in 2006, but eventually sold it and got the "fixed" version of the same aircraft. That one has the worst-sagging wings!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:07 am

Sigh...The George Bush Avenger was such a pretty bird. Darned shame we never saw it released.

I have an S1 Atlantic Avenger and love it, missing screw covers and all.