Chap Mei C-130 Photo Review

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Chap Mei C-130 Photo Review

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:20 am

Maybe the C-123 Provider could be close to scale. The wings are about 20 feet shorter as well as the fuse.

The difference will be about 13 inches in 1/18.

So that would be 73 inch wingspan compared to 88 for the C-130.

Just cut off the outside engines and add a couple of burners. :wink:

Of course you still need to stretch everything. Other than a little difference in the nose and quite a lot of other things the shape of the C-123 is a little closer than the C-130.

Image[/quote]

Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:05 am

lol.....give it up guys. This will never be 1/18 scale no matter how long you hack at it. It's a fun big toy, leave it at that. :)

If anyone wants a close to 1/18 Hercules (or Provider) you'll have to wait for a big r/c plane to come along some day, for now there's pretty much zilch.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:08 am

Party pooper.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:59 pm

here's a guy's custom Spooky gunship:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugeuqm8R ... re=related

and a somewhat entertaining review of the AB-115

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMqkkIE ... re=related

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:43 pm

aferguson wrote:here's a guy's custom Spooky gunship:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugeuqm8R ... re=related

and a somewhat entertaining review of the AB-115

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMqkkIE ... re=related

It does look a lot better with a decent paint job on it.

I may just have to break down a get one.

Anybody interested in a step by step custom next year ?

I could do the step by step and have you all fallow along to customize yours.

It would be a fun standoff scale. A true scale build will take tooooo much time to do.

Any interest ?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:31 am

it's more of a stand waaay off model. :lol: but it does have undeniable appeal.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:43 am

Sounds good to me Pickel, I want to do something to mine and could use the guidance ;-)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:29 am

i think i might get another and make a gunship out of it. While it's too small to fit proper sized guns in it, i plan to fudge them as best i can and put crews operating the guns in it. Probably use bbi helicopter pilots as the base for the crew figures. The guns and crew can then be viewed with the wing off. Not sure how it will look but i may give it a shot. That would be something that's not possible to do with an r/c plane most likely, even if one comes out.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:14 pm

i stumbled upon this clip on youtube. I'd never seen the transformers movie, so it may be old hat to most of you. Pretty cool. Looks realistic, as far as my knowledge of ac-130's go. I can see the bofors, 105mm and gatling gun all firing, although the sound effect is only for the bofors and 105 as far as i can tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiQazjMVBMI

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:47 pm

I could see this modded into a C123, but a C130 would be more work that it's worth. It looks like the toy designer saw the C123 airframe, and for some reason put on four engines. It looks like the engines and wings are moulded in one piece, and if so it would be a bear to patch that semi-soft plastic.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:35 pm

oh my

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUE-HEROES-AB- ... 336f1a908e

there are a few ended auctions on ebay like this..

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:41 pm

i was thinking: i bet you could put a 1/18 Mutt inside this thing. You'd have to take the seats out and it wouldn't be able to go in and out the back ramp, but i think the cargo area is big enough to hold one....just like a real C-130. Kinda cool if it can. I don't have any mutts or i'd try it.

btw, TRU has these back in stock online. I bet the folks who paid $100+ for one will be pissed. At least lots of little guys will be able to get one from Santa now. :)

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:07 am

My TRUs have managed to keep 1-2 in stock so far, in addition to the one displayed hanging. Monster of a plane and so tempting, but I really have to keep my focus on the real stuff :P
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:19 am

oh just get one. It's fun. Do you have a big millennium falcon? It's not real, nor does it look all that much like the one in the movie. But it's cool. So's this. It looks loads better with a good paint job and a windshield.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:24 pm

aferguson wrote:oh just get one. It's fun. Do you have a big millennium falcon? It's not real, nor does it look all that much like the one in the movie. But it's cool. So's this. It looks loads better with a good paint job and a windshield.
Well, I do have the BMF (and the AT-AT, and the AT-TE) and a bunch of the old GI Joe stuff. Guess this wouldn't hurt :P
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:45 pm

aferguson wrote:i was thinking: i bet you could put a 1/18 Mutt inside this thing. You'd have to take the seats out and it wouldn't be able to go in and out the back ramp, but i think the cargo area is big enough to hold one....just like a real C-130. Kinda cool if it can. I don't have any mutts or i'd try it.
Yes, it does hold a Vietnam mutt the way you describe :) Sadly, it even could have gone down the back ramp if the ramp door had extended the full width of the fuselage at that point.
Last edited by parrish333 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:04 pm

ha, that's cool...i may have to get two more now. One for a gunship and one to repaint in vietnma colours and put a mutt into.

too bad about the door width, that would have been ultra cool to be able to drive the mutt right into it.

Is the power team Mutt (the jeep thing) correct to scale or is it oversized?

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:52 pm

aferguson wrote:ha, that's cool...i may have to get two more now. One for a gunship and one to repaint in vietnam colours and put a mutt into.

too bad about the door width, that would have been ultra cool to be able to drive the mutt right into it.

Is the power team Mutt (the jeep thing) correct to scale or is it oversized?
I actually really like the PTE Mutt, but it is oversized. That is, it is noticeably larger than a 21C Seal mutt (I have both), which I'm assuming is more to scale; but I haven't ran the numbers to see which is correct. The windshield on the PTE mutt is missing, but I easily glued on some clear plastic to fix that. The PTE mutt should still fit in the C-130, though (I can double check tonight if you'd like). It's actually a very spacious interior, it's just that darn ramp which needs widened.

Along the same lines, I glued some clear plastic onto the C-130 window frames as well. It took a fair amount of super glue, and it was tricky cutting the plastic to the right shape, however. Then I made a simple gunship conversion using some aluminum tubing that equates to ~105 mm and ~40mm in 1/18, then stuck those in ~15/16 in. dowel rod which snugly sits in the port-side windows.

Obviously the end result isn't very accurate, but then few things about this C-130 are :) It's all about enjoying the fun of what is in most every way a toy!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:30 pm

i'm surprised you were able to super glue in the windshield at all. I have had no luck getting any glue to stick to the type of plastic they use on the windsheilds of their aircraft. I used the sticker approach i saw in one of the youtube review links i posted.

If i do a gunship, i can't decide whether to make the guns to 1/18 scale or to scale with the plane, or somewhere in between. I'd like to put a crew inside the plane manning the guns, so that would suggest i should make them at least close-ish to 1/18 scale. I may try to put them in somewhat the proper locations too but i don't know how feasible that will be.

Really too bad that ramp is too narrow. The chap mei Chinook's ramp is wider, i wonder if there would be some way of grafting it onto the back of the C-130 without butchering it.

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:44 pm

aferguson wrote:i'm surprised you were able to super glue in the windshield at all. I have had no luck getting any glue to stick to the type of plastic they use on the windsheilds of their aircraft. I used the sticker approach i saw in one of the youtube review links i posted.
I just used clear plastic from a package - it probably was the same clear plastic on the box the C-130 came in :) I'll have to look into the sticker approach; that sounds easier to use a clear sticker.
aferguson wrote: Really too bad that ramp is too narrow. The chap mei Chinook's ramp is wider, i wonder if there would be some way of grafting it onto the back of the C-130 without butchering it.
Hmmm - I have the Chinook (not sure why people always refer to it that way - I think it's closer in form to a Sea Knight CH-46; albeit a bloated one) as well; the "butchering" would still come with trying to cut away the extra plastic on the rear of the C-130. I don't know how some people are able to cut such nice, straight lines with some of their mods! But I may have to at least size up the heli ramp against the C-130 to see if it's do-able. Nice idea.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:44 pm

actually i was referring to the plastic of the windsheild frame, not the clear plastic. The plastic chap mei uses for their window frames is a very greasy plastic that is very hard for super glue to stick to. At least it was on my Chinook, i assumed it was the same type of plastic on the C-130.

I know it's more like a Sea Knight but i gave up referring to it as that since everyone seems to want to call it a Chinook and if i said 'sea knight' people might not know what i'm referring to.

If the Chinook ramp will snap into the hinges on the C-130 (very doubtful) the rest of the work might not be that hard. Sure would be cool to be able to drive the mutt in and out the back.

muhoms1
Corporal
Corporal

Post by muhoms1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Was in Toys R us saw they had a few of these in stock picked up the last two. Also was one chinook there. Def interested in some ideas on modifying. Any one come up with any ideas.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:28 pm

what kind of ideas are you looking for?

btw, parrish: have you tried to fit a humvee inside? It would have to be a true 1/18 humvee, like bbi's, to have a chance, but i think it might just fit if everything on the inside were removed (ie seats, guns etc). A 1/18 humvee is 4 3/4 wide and the interior of this thing is 4 3/4 wide as best i can measure.

Now if a humvee can fit inside that would be very cool.

muhoms1
Corporal
Corporal

Post by muhoms1 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Looking for modification ideas not the best fabricator but would like get some pointers. This a cool little plane. Was able to pick up another one today so looking one cargo one gunship. Dont have any humvees or would have given it a try, would like to know myself.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Doesn't look like there is going to be any new True Heroes goodies this year. Nothing major anyway. They should be out by now, for the Christmas season if they were, should they not?

Nothing new from Power Team this year either. Disappointing.