Authentic vs Badass

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

Authentic vs Badass

Post by Jnewboy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:14 pm

I am putting the final touches on a custom built ME-262 A-1a/U4 Pulkzerstörer

This one is ten time better than the one I built years ago with correct landing gear and on and on.

Construction wise its authentic but I am now having a really hard time justifying the boring paint job that the prototype had and want to do it as if it was one that would have seen combat latter if the war had continued.

It would look way more exotic and BADASS that way but it would not be "authentic".

What am I to do??

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: Authentic vs Badass

Post by maritime96 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:39 pm

I vote for the Badass way. Why be boring life is too short LOL
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

astronut1885
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by astronut1885 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Personally, I'd go authentic, as authentic as possible based on reference material, because I love seeing small pieces of history in my collection. I've never been into "what-ifs", because they never existed. If you built it as true as possible to an actual airframe, then why not capture the source of inspiration in it's entirety? About the only exception I've ever been guilty of was building an F-14 kit that was in the livery of Maverick's Tomcat from Top Gun, but even then, a bird did fly for the movie that looked like that. Either way, I am sure it will be a superior product and I will keep an eye out for pictures.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:19 pm

I vote authentic... Badass is more for personal use. ;)

Although, if things where very rare it sometimes is okay to have "Artistic license" but keep it in historical probability.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:05 pm

Authentic

Badass

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:24 pm

Authentic.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:35 pm

There are many schemes I would love to do but cant back up with direct source material. An example would be the 109 that was seen the very last day of the war, it flashed through a B17 squadron, it never fired a shot and practically ripped the nose off of B17 apparently trying to be seen, it was reportedly painted a bright pink/red on one side and bare metal or silver on the other, I dont mean bottom and top, I mean right down the middle. It was documented by several crews that saw it that day but no records or photos exist. There are lots of things like this that would be cool projects

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:57 am

I'd say authentic too. However, making it 'badass' would be fun to paint. Really imo, if you intend to sell it later on, I think either scheme would likely sell. The rivit counters would like the authentic livery but I know from experience there are alot of guys that do like the "what if" stuff like the Luft 46 projects etc.

Interesting about the red/bm 109.

normandy

Post by normandy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:15 am

"Construction wise its authentic but I am now having a really hard time justifying the boring paint job that the prototype had and want to do it as if it was one that would have seen combat latter if the war had continued.

It would look way more exotic and BADASS that way but it would not be "authentic". "

I'm all for historical and authentic modeling.......to a point.
You want the aircraft to look as if it were a combat veteran of WWII that didn't end in '45. Thats all the justification you need to go Badass! There is nothing wrong with " What If " projects as long as everyone knows thats what they are.
I think that it would look very cool, with your modeling and painting skills.......no problem.
I've always had an interest in WWII and what may have happened if it had gone on, thankfully it didn't.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:20 am

I thought that the original was not painted.

Natural metal with the seems/ joints puttied over in gray.

Anyway I would stick with original if you intend to sale it.

Go fantasy if you are going to keep it on the shelf.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:47 am

Badass,if it dosen't sell re paint it,how authentic is a plastic 1/18 airplane anyway,have fun with it,you can always repaint.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:18 am

if you plan to sell i would definitely stick with authentic. The authentic scheme is kinda cool i think with the puttied over base. The prices you want to get people are going to be more willing to pay for something representing reality than somthing that just looks cool. The way around it would be to pass it off as a 'luft 46' type scheme, i guess.

If you are going to keep it for your own then do what your heart desires.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

normandy

Post by normandy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:11 am

How about this......it looks Badass. http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7573/me262au403.png

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:43 am

Its tough to say, you each make valid and excellent points.

Yes Pickel you are correct, the one shown in the color plate is even technically inaccurate as it was captured prior to painting the modified nose section, there were two prototypes made, that one and the other more famous one, V083 that went one to be called "Wilma Jeanne" that was totally painted which would be the one I would do if going authentic.

Here is another one for you guys, same deal, I have been commissioned to build a JU-390 (in 1/72 settle down :lol: ) They built several prototypes all as transports/recon with little armament and no bomb bay as they were only prototypes, but the project was commissioned as a long range heavy bomb able to strike NY or factories in and behind the Urals.

I have be given permission to do whatever I want so again should I go Authentic? (normal splinter camo, not allot of guns) or Badass the planned final version

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:45 am

normandy wrote:How about this......it looks Badass. http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7573/me262au403.png
That does look great, its not authentic but it is Badass! :lol:

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Isn't it true that there were alot of prototypes and one offs that where never photographed, but just described, I'm not a rivet counter, again before I make someone mad, that wasn't a put down, if it were'nt for them nothing would be correct.

But it seems to me several, if not alot of German late weapons were destroyed and there were not pictures, so a little creative leeway could be good, look at the Horten pictures everyone has posted, they are fantastic, but were any Hortens actually painted like that.

First off, I'm not a expert on anything WWII, thats why I trust you guys and enjoy what is posted, I'm lucky I have friends here that tell me when I'm wrong and I like that, its fun learning things, so what if something is alittle different, is it really wrong or would it had been built time allowing?
Last edited by ram04 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:03 pm

for the Ju 390, i would do it as the ultimate planned version. Since the buyer has given you that freedom. Do it the way it probably would have been had it been put into mass production.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Badass!
"Leave the Artillerymen alone...they are an obstinate lot" -Napoleon

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:22 pm

aferguson wrote:for the Ju 390, i would do it as the ultimate planned version. Since the buyer has given you that freedom. Do it the way it probably would have been had it been put into mass production.
So you believe it depends on the individual project whether it should be "authentic" or not?