UPDATE on my F14 pilots w/PHOTOS

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
sax5thave
Corporal
Corporal

UPDATE on my F14 pilots w/PHOTOS

Post by sax5thave » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:42 am

Photos when the mask wasn't fitted yet.

Photos when the mask was fitted.

Ok. Here is the final outcome of the F14 pilot. The figure has limited articulation. Head swivels left to right, arms go up and down, elbows have 90 degrees movement. Hips and knee have 90 degrees movement. Oxygen mask, boots and hands are fixed. I had 30 pairs made. This is resin so be careful. The photos were taken using a 5mp point and shoot which did not do justice.

Also, the BBI figure we copied it from has wide legs which will not fit the cockpit. removing the knee pegs and lower leg will enable you to seat the figure properly. You can install the leg and pegs back if you want.

They will be sold as a pair.

I will be in Hong Kong May 7 so I will ship 20 pairs to my US address in which my step dad John will take care of shipping.

Shipping will be USPS flat rate box $5.50. My pop is a senior citizen so lets not give him a hard time finding boxes and bubble wraps. But if you coerce him enough he might just find some and charge you for less on shipping.

Payment can either be a check ( you will need to call John ) or thru Paypal as a gift so no fees are incurred. I prefer you go for the former and call John since I wanna give all the proceeds to my folks.

Price per pair is $26 shipped.

NO returns. What you see is what you will get. However, if it arrives to you broken, then I'm sure john won't mind returning your money. They should be in the US by late May.
Last edited by sax5thave on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
TRADE REFERENCES: tmanthegreat, Grilledcheese, Tkjaer21, Delta Team, Blacksnakes, flayrah. fast mover, evilanimation, YT, Jnewboy

dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: UPDATE on my F14 pilots

Post by dragon53 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:27 am

SAX:

The pilots and their price are looking good. Do you have a release date?

As for the Phantom, I suggest Steve Ritchie's F-4D---it would be very popular with collectors since Ritchie is the USAF's only pilot ace of the Vietnam War. Also, since it has the under-nose IFR scanner pod, it could also be an F-4C or F-4B with some minor modifications---that would cover USAF, Navy and USMC repaints.

Thanks for all the work you're doing.

sax5thave
Corporal
Corporal

Post by sax5thave » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:35 am

No release date yet. But hopefully we can have them by 1st week April. Do you have a photo of that particular F4?

There are a few requirements we are considering for the F4 phantom. ( We originally had the Mig21 in mind ).

It should be light yet durable enough to be shipped.
It should at least be at par in detail and quality with the current 1/18 scale models.
It is best to everyone's interest if we can sell it below $200 since shipping cost will be an issue.
TRADE REFERENCES: tmanthegreat, Grilledcheese, Tkjaer21, Delta Team, Blacksnakes, flayrah. fast mover, evilanimation, YT, Jnewboy

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:44 am

SAX:

These are the photos that 21st Century released of its Ritchie F-4D which was never released. According to other collectors, they said the photos are really of a plastic kit model (Tamiya?) which led to speculation that 21st Century never actually had a real prototype built and was using the plastic kit model to show what Ritchie's Phantom looked like.

NightVyper
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by NightVyper » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:32 am

if you do an F4-D I would be very interested for sure. If it is plastic and has reasonable detail, i would likely get 2.

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:43 pm

You can count me in for F-14 pilots, flight deck crew and F-4.
JOC

sax5thave
Corporal
Corporal

Post by sax5thave » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:50 pm

@Dragon. Thanks for the photo. That bird is familiar to me.

We will most likely copy an F4 from the biggest scale model available. Curve it in wood to get the overall look of the model then cast the mold. Make three prototypes to satisfy the first Philippine order and from there, any plane sold after will pay for the cost of producing it. I am just not that confident about the canopy and the decals so we will really have to look into that.

snake

Post by snake » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:56 pm

sax5thave,

If you can produce a good quality 1/18 F-4 for $200 or less, I would think that lots of 1/18 collectors would be interested in at least one of these.

Lots of great schemes to chose from, and various branches as well. USAF, USN, and Marine versions.

I wish you success in this project. :D

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:02 am

sax5thave wrote:Image

Related thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23916

We are contemplating on using fabric and other materials for the SV-2B vest other than having it molded on the figure.

The brown figure is wood hand carved by our craftsman. Then using the hand sculpted figure, we had a resin model made and the green one is the prototype. If we can make the fabric vest without affecting the target price of less than $32 for a pair, then we will go to that direction. If not, then we will copy the BBI figure as is and sell it for less. The figure will be available in sage and khaki flight gear. Since each figure is hand crafted and painted, minor variations may occur.

Your feedback is well appreciated. Fire away.

If this turns out successful, we are planning on making an F-4 Phantom for under $230 in which we will need inputs. We are also open to a three pack Flight deck crew project. Let us know.

Thanks,

Sax
clay work better then wood to give the detail u need
whats up doc....

sax5thave
Corporal
Corporal

Post by sax5thave » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Points taken.. As soon as we finish these pilots then my partner and I will talk about the Phantom.

vince_chua
Corporal
Corporal

Post by vince_chua » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi any chance of sculpting the helmet closer to the F-14's instead of using the F-16 and F-18 pilot's? Also I think the vest molded on with the accessories would be good enough. Overall this looks promising!

sax5thave
Corporal
Corporal

Post by sax5thave » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:16 am

vince_chua wrote:Hi any chance of sculpting the helmet closer to the F-14's instead of using the F-16 and F-18 pilot's? Also I think the vest molded on with the accessories would be good enough. Overall this looks promising!
You must be referring to the APH-6 as seen in final countdown and the HGU-33P helmet as seen on top gun. Yes we are working on that option. The HGU-55P worn by the F16 pilot are the same helmets worn by F18 and F14 pilots during the 90s all the way to the feline's decommissioning. Navy regulation is to have reflective tape wrapped around the helmet for high vis during S&R. But as for now, we are working on a Naval aviator wearing the Navy version HGU-55P both in visor up and down position with MBU14 mask. The Navy HGU-55 was eventually replaced by the HGU-68P. We finally decided to go for the molded model for ease of production and bring the cost down.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:59 pm

dragon53 wrote:SAX:

These are the photos that 21st Century released of its Ritchie F-4D which was never released. According to other collectors, they said the photos are really of a plastic kit model (Tamiya?) which led to speculation that 21st Century never actually had a real prototype built and was using the plastic kit model to show what Ritchie's Phantom looked like.

Actually there was a prototype constructed on the F-4. The photos prove it all.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:04 am

Those pics are of Admiral Toys prototype. 21st never did show a prototype that I can remember.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:11 am

Yeah I think Admiral came out with their F-4 announcement of $140 or so and within days 21st said that they were doing one at half the price.

So Admiral canned the whole idea and this is the result .

A grey ghost .

:?
    :(
    :evil:
    Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
    John Wayne : Mine was taller

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:20 am

Yep, those are Admiral's photos because I remember posting a comment about the "Godzilla" antenna on the spine.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:19 am

The hands on those f-14 pilots are Huge :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
    Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

sax5thave
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by sax5thave » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:51 pm

VMF115 wrote:The hands on those f-14 pilots are Huge :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What can I say? Some have it bigger than others. :lol:

NightVyper
    Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
    Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by NightVyper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:17 am

So we don't have an F-4 because 21 C is full of crap?

Awesome.

sax5thave
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by sax5thave » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:43 am

Last edited by sax5thave on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

cuatroboca
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by cuatroboca » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:46 am

my dad worked on f4 phantoms for the marine corp in the squadron vmf531 the grey ghostshe is now 56 and im 25 but i hope if he can afford that 1:18 f4 and that he would build it to be exactly like the ones worked on

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:26 pm

SAX5THAVE:

Maybe I'm missing something, but could you clarify that the "mask" is fixed?
    Looking at your earlier prototype photos, you show what appears to be a detachable oxygen mask. Does the production pilot include an oxygen mask?

sax5thave
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post by sax5thave » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:43 pm

dragon53 wrote:SAX5THAVE:

Maybe I'm missing something, but could you clarify that the "mask" is fixed?
    Looking at your earlier prototype photos, you show what appears to be a detachable oxygen mask. Does the production pilot include an oxygen mask?
    Yes the production pilot has the O2mask. The mask keeps falling off so I wanna glue it permanently to the face. Notice too that the visor is down. These pilots are more meant to be inside the cockpit to simulate flight.

dragon53

Re: UPDATE on my F14 pilots w/PHOTOS

Post by dragon53 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:51 am

SAX5THAVE:

That's great. Update us on exactly when the pilots will be available and ordering info. My Black Knights F-14 has its problems corrected, and all it needs are pilot figures.

Also, have you considered F-14 pilots with helmets painted in the Jolly Rogers scheme---I think there's a market for them, too.

dragon53

Re: UPDATE on my F14 pilots w/PHOTOS

Post by dragon53 » Sun May 29, 2011 3:44 pm

SAX5THAVE:

Any update on when the pilots will be available for order?